Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

CUSU Freshers Guide 2009-2010

What does everyone think of the guide?
    How are you feeling about going to Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! =)

ReputationRep:
    Interesting reading - very well done.

Scary biscuits though..

ReputationRep:
    Great, that's made me even more fearful lest I fail my exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    Mmmm I disagree with the response to the 'how much work should I do before I arrive?' question in the FAQ (p.35).

Certainly it's true that some people do very little work before they start at Cambridge but if you read during the summer before you start it can be a huge huge help and make your first year work much more enjoyable. I'd recommend doing much more than the 'flicking through one or two' books on the reading list that this guide suggests. If they send you a reading list before term begins it's because they expect you to do some serious reading (and thinking about the books you're reading) over the summer.
    Oh, I don't know... which subjects do you have in mind? I would say as far as NatSci/CompSci is concerned, those who had read a lot found it conferred little or no advantage; I would hazard a guess it might be different for arts subjects, though.

ReputationRep:
    I have a place to study English in October, but have been on a gap year and have now not properly studied or written an essay for over a year, and have not been too thorough in getting through the books on the (immense) reading list I was sent either.

The guide says that while it's useful to have read, it's more to help your confidence in the first few weeks than anything that will really affect your overall standard. How true is that? And should I start reading solidly for the next two months??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for posting the guide! I can't wait for October!!

Random question (sorry if this is a really uninformed question!): How much interaction is there between colleges? Are you allowed to use services (library, dining hall, etc) at a college other than your own? What about formal hall - are you able to go to other colleges' formal halls?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This could be a bit random but I have a question about gowns. Are Freshers supposed to order them pre-arrival? Are we supposed to buy the college gown or the BA hood? Are the college gowns the ones we should be wearing at formal halls?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latte303)
    Hi,

This could be a bit random but I have a question about gowns. Are Freshers supposed to order them pre-arrival? Are we supposed to buy the college gown or the BA hood? Are the college gowns the ones we should be wearing at formal halls?

Thanks
    Lots of people I know did pre-order their gowns on the advice of... well, I don't know who, various people... in order to avoid them selling out, but my college sold them directly (as I think a lot do) and so said that there was no need to pre-order because they weren't going to sell out. If in doubt, ask someone at your college, I guess. Yes, buy the college gown, and yes, they are the ones to wear at formals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    I would say read, read, read!

I think that the guide is written with the aim of not being too daunting for freshers. However I am prepared to be a little more frightening in this case - you're about to start a course at a world class university with a reputation for it's high standards, you're going to have small group conversations with experts in the field on a regular basis (and they're going to find out exactly what you have and haven't read) and your peers will (virtually) all be straight A students who are passionate readers. When you look at it in this light, wouldn't you want to make sure you've made a decent stab at the reading list rather than just flicking through a couple of books as the guide suggests? It's common sense.
    Point.

ReputationRep:
    About reading lists - I've started on mine for MML. It takes *ages*, a little and often is the best option for me at least (so starting months off is a good idea), but also you soon realise the first read-through isn't good enough for any real depth, particularly since you can't even *understand* everything on the first swoop, let alone analyse it. Now I've seen maths textbooks too - I know you can't just flick through those either.

I'm loving the guide at the moment because of the "what to take" list. Because going to uni isn't quite the same as packing a suitcase to go on an extended holiday. ;(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canned Door)
    About reading lists - I've started on mine for MML. It takes *ages*, a little and often is the best option for me at least (so starting months off is a good idea), but also you soon realise the first read-through isn't good enough for any real depth, particularly since you can't even *understand* everything on the first swoop, let alone analyse it. Now I've seen maths textbooks - I know you can't just flick through those either.

I'm loving the guide at the moment because of the "what to take" list. Because going to uni isn't quite the same as packing a suitcase to go on an extended holiday. ;(
    Especially the really condensed versions they recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbles50)
    Is a gown and an academic robe the same thing?
    If so Ryder & Aimes in their advert in that guide (pg21/22ish) says
    I'm not sure, but probably, and I remember seeing that sort of advert last year, but the info the college sent me was different, so I went with that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)

Why is there loads of stuff about the CUSU and advertising.
    I bet that the only thing most students care about the CUSU is ents so how stupid.+ lol

ReputationRep:
    You may also get sent one from your college's JCR which is a heck of a lot more useful, at least the pic on the cover of the CUSU one is nice (Caius bar :grin:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)

Nice one, thanks.

@Athena: yeah, I'd prefer TSR's wiki too.

ReputationRep:
    the freshers guide and the survival guide is just depressing (more so the survival guide than the freshers guide)

ReputationRep:
    Far too much advertising, which unfortunately is par for the course with CUSU nowadays. The content is reasonably good, though unfortunately your photograph of Tim Checkley does not actually show Tim Checkley

ReputationRep:
    At an outrageous guess I would suggest that JCR levies and club nights don't bring in sufficient revenue, if that's OUSUs way and they are in debt and CUSU feel the need to look else where for further income.....

ReputationRep:
    are all the girls really as hot as those on the front? :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.