Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an extended project about the changing role of women in Spain: before, during and after Franco's dictatorship and I need at least three pieces of research by the time I go back to college and one cannot be from the internet

Anyone know of any useful books, websites, articles etc.

I was also hoping to discuss Spanish poetry/literature about women in Spain ... does anybody know of anything?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Lorca - his rural trilogy (la casa de Bernarda Alba in particular) is a play all about women's role in society and how repressed they were. There's loads of help with Lorca on the internet as well.

ReputationRep:
    There is a fabulous play by Federico Garcia Lorca called "La Casa de Bernarda Alba" which focuses on the role of women in the (pre) Franco era (it's thought to be set in the 1920s/30s. It's one of the most famous pieces of Spanish literature ever written and you can find copies of it on amazon with both the Spanish and the English written in here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/House-Bernar...8867433&sr=8-1.
    We studied it for our A-Levels course and I absolutely loved it. I think it would be perfect for some parts of your project. Buena suerte .

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't go with Lorca to be honest... But if you do, then you must clearly state that he was opposed to Franco. (He was killed at the very beginning of the Civil War by Franco troops).

By 'before Franco's dictatorship', are you refering to the civil war period? If so then this isn't really the same as before Franco because he was already beginning to dominate society through fear. You need to look at the second republic for before Franco. As this was a modern, forward looking gov which gave rights etc to women - though heavily opposed. However this period does include the civil war, so just remember that the pre-Franco period began in 1931.

Do you need one thing for each time period?

I remember advising you not to go with this title. I think you're going to have lots of problems finding unbiased info sources to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    La Historia de una Escalera is a play by Antonio Buero Vallejo that deals with ordinary people in a Madrid apartment over a period of time in the post-Franco era. Might be worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    "Yerma"
    By Federico Garcia Lorca

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by znh)
    I am doing an extended project about the changing role of women in Spain: before, during and after Franco's dictatorship and I need at least three pieces of research by the time I go back to college and one cannot be from the internet

Anyone know of any useful books, websites, articles etc.

I was also hoping to discuss Spanish poetry/literature about women in Spain ... does anybody know of anything?

Thank you
    I have to say that Lorca's rural trilogy is actually perfect for this. When I was doing my A levels I did coursework based around this kind of topic, linking in with how Lorca foresees some of the effects on women of the Franco regime in his work, etc. It obviously depends on what angle you specifically want to look at, but anything linked with the role of women will be fine with Lorca, because he focuses so intently on the world of women. I've actually done quite a lot of work with Lorca, so if you decide to read some of his stuff, PM me if you want more help.

ReputationRep:
    Normally when doing a project like this you would find the sources first, then decide upon a title. In this way you do not struggle to find exemplification for something that you have apparently conjured out of thin air... what made you choose the topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tink12)
    I have to say that Lorca's rural trilogy is actually perfect for this. When I was doing my A levels I did coursework based around this kind of topic, linking in with how Lorca foresees some of the effects on women of the Franco regime in his work, etc. It obviously depends on what angle you specifically want to look at, but anything linked with the role of women will be fine with Lorca, because he focuses so intently on the world of women. I've actually done quite a lot of work with Lorca, so if you decide to read some of his stuff, PM me if you want more help.
    As I already said, Lorca died very early on in the Civil War so his work could only be used to show the Second Republic & Civil War period. All before the Franco dictatorship. Thus if she was to use his work to show what Lorca foresaw, she would also need other works to show that his predictions were true. So double the work me thinky!

I would only look at Lorca if the title were something along the lines of... "discuss the opposing views to the Franco regime". As I said, he was killed during a time when women had been given more freedom etc and were in danger of losing it - no real oppression had begun at the time of his death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    As I already said, Lorca died very early on in the Civil War so his work could only be used to show the Second Republic & Civil War period. All before the Franco dictatorship. Thus if she was to use his work to show what Lorca foresaw, she would also need other works to show that his predictions were true. So double the work me thinky!

I would only look at Lorca if the title were something along the lines of... "discuss the opposing views to the Franco regime". As I said, he was killed during a time when women had been given more freedom etc and were in danger of losing it - no real oppression had begun at the time of his death.
    Yes, I totally agree with that, and also with what you said about finding it hard to get unbiased sources.

However, depending on the time period she's studying, looking at Lorca may be a good idea, even if it's just dipping into it, along with other pieces of literature from during and after the regime. To be honest, it's hard to recommend sources when there is no actual question, lol.

I think that maybe the OP is tackling too much. If she does before, during and after the Franquismo, along with historical AND literary sources, it's going to end up being a HUGE piece of work (and I assume there's some sort of word limit?), with the potential of being very messy. You'll probably end up spreading yourself too thinly and only scratching the surface of the question. It's probably better to limit yourself a bit and focus in more depth on fewer things - I think you'll get a much better piece of work out of it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I totally agree with that, and also with what you said about finding it hard to get unbiased sources.
    However, that will be the case with most Franco related topics to be honest. So if I were her, I'd split the project into two sides - for and against Franco, and look at the literary/representations of women on each side and compare that.

However, depending on the time period she's studying, looking at Lorca may be a good idea, even if it's just dipping into it, along with other pieces of literature from during and after the regime. To be honest, it's hard to recommend sources when there is no actual question, lol.
    I don't like Lorca, so I would avoid studying it on that base alone hahaha.

I think that maybe the OP is tackling too much. If she does before, during and after the Franquismo, along with historical AND literary sources, it's going to end up being a HUGE piece of work (and I assume there's some sort of word limit?), with the potential of being very messy. You'll probably end up spreading yourself too thinly and only scratching the surface of the question. It's probably better to limit yourself a bit and focus in more depth on fewer things - I think you'll get a much better piece of work out of it?
    She's got 5,000 words I think. I said to her when she pondered over what topic to do that the woman in Spain thing was vast - but did she listen? No. I did my final yr dissertation on the Civil War period alone and I felt as though there was tonnes of stuff I could have covered!

ReputationRep:
    However, that will be the case with most Franco related topics to be honest. So if I were her, I'd split the project into two sides - for and against Franco, and look at the literary/representations of women on each side and compare that.

I don't like Lorca, so I would avoid studying it on that base alone hahaha.

She's got 5,000 words I think. I said to her when she pondered over what topic to do that the woman in Spain thing was vast - but did she listen? No. I did my final yr dissertation on the Civil War period alone and I felt as though there was tonnes of stuff I could have covered!
    We actually agree on something! :eek:
    I would have done something similar to what you suggested, definitely broken the topic down more. Like you said, it's such a huge topic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LancashireLass)
    Normally when doing a project like this you would find the sources first, then decide upon a title. In this way you do not struggle to find exemplification for something that you have apparently conjured out of thin air... what made you choose the topic?
    I would have preferred to do that but my college only had 60 places and we had 5 days to write a proposal for the topic we were interested in.

And it was actually you in an older thread who gave me the idea

ReputationRep:
    There is a 5000 word limit and I understand what you are saying completely and I know that title is a bit general so any help on narrowing it down will be much appreciated... maybe something that focuses on literature and Lorca?

We only had 5 days to decide on a topic as well as writing a proposal for it so if I did have more reflection my topic would have probably focused on literature because that is what I am interested in.

Also, from talking to previous students who have done the extended project they said that the topic you start off with and the work you finish with can be completely different – it is about the process you went through to get there.

ReputationRep:
    So if I were her, I'd split the project into two sides - for and against Franco, and look at the literary/representations of women on each side and compare that.
    That is something that would interest me a lot!!

I remember you telling me that lol and I appreciate the honesty and help - I knew it would be too vast, hence why I am looking to focus - hopefully on literature like you mentioned above so if there are any books/ sources you would recommend I would be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    And I have actually really wanted to read Lorca's poetry after someone posted a poem from Lorca's collection of Sonnets of a Dark Love!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by znh)
    That is something that would interest me a lot!!
    Well I'm sure it's an aspect that you could incorporate at this stage. However I would advise that you narrow it down significantly, perhaps looking at just two others and comparing the situation. You could use Lorca, but there are other authors who opposed Franco and survived his regime by altering their works etc, so you could look at the change in laws and how they were censored.

I remember you telling me that lol and I appreciate the honesty and help - I knew it would be too vast, hence why I am looking to focus - hopefully on literature like you mentioned above so if there are any books/ sources you would recommend I would be very grateful
    Have you thought about looking at female authors? Funnily enough most of the prominant ones survived Franco!

Check this dude out, he opposed Franco & survived. Was able to carry on writing free of censorship as he fled Spain, Rafael Alberti - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Alberti

Joaquín Arderíus - also anti-Franco and fled - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaqu%C3%ADn_Arder%C3%ADus

Very famous pro-Franco author - Camilo José Cela - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilo_Jos%C3%A9_Cela

Read about this anti-Franco dude and his Onion Lullaby, sounds pretty good for what you want - Miguel Hernández - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Hern%C3%A1ndez

Very accessible female writer who survived the entire Franco regime - Carmen Martín Gaite - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Mart%C3%ADn_Gaite !!! However bear in mind that she was married to this guy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_...nchez_Ferlosio who's father founded the Falange!

Inicially pro-Franco however this changed over the years - Gonzalo Torrente Ballester, and then he was censored - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzalo_Torrente_Ballester

--------------------------------

I'm sorry I can't be more specific about which ones wrote about women in enough detail for this project, but I have read a Carmen Martín Gaite book called 'Lo que queda enterrado' and this one does show a detailed portrayal of society during Francos regime.

edit: have you thought about looking at film portrayal, rather than literature? This film looks perfect - Las 13 rosas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_13_rosas

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm sure it's an aspect that you could incorporate at this stage. However I would advise that you narrow it down significantly, perhaps looking at just two others and comparing the situation. You could use Lorca, but there are other authors who opposed Franco and survived his regime by altering their works etc, so you could look at the change in laws and how they were censored.

Have you thought about looking at female authors? Funnily enough most of the prominant ones survived Franco!

Check this dude out, he opposed Franco & survived. Was able to carry on writing free of censorship as he fled Spain, Rafael Alberti - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Alberti

Joaquín Arderíus - also anti-Franco and fled - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaqu%C3%ADn_Arder%C3%ADus

Very famous pro-Franco author - Camilo José Cela - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilo_Jos%C3%A9_Cela

Read about this anti-Franco dude and his Onion Lullaby, sounds pretty good for what you want - Miguel Hernández - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Hern%C3%A1ndez

Very accessible female writer who survived the entire Franco regime - Carmen Martín Gaite - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Mart%C3%ADn_Gaite !!! However bear in mind that she was married to this guy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_...nchez_Ferlosio who's father founded the Falange!

Inicially pro-Franco however this changed over the years - Gonzalo Torrente Ballester, and then he was censored - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzalo_Torrente_Ballester

--------------------------------

I'm sorry I can't be more specific about which ones wrote about women in enough detail for this project, but I have read a Carmen Martín Gaite book called 'Lo que queda enterrado' and this one does show a detailed portrayal of society during Francos regime.

edit: have you thought about looking at film portrayal, rather than literature? This film looks perfect - Las 13 rosas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_13_rosas
    Thank you so much for your advice and useful links

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 5, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.