Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point in life? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus)
    No, its just that if you think about it objectively, there is no point really. You live, you die and (unless you do something amazing to change the world etc) you are forgotten.
    Also, ultimately all that will happen is that the Earth will be destroyed when the sun stops working, and (unless we find a way off the Earth to some other place to live) Mankind and everything we have done will be destroyed. So, even if you do something "amazing to change the world", you wont have that much of an impact on anything in the extreme-long run. Makes life seem a little more pointless, doesn't it?

ps. i'm not suicidal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus)
    What is the point in living? I mean, life is mainly work till you're are 65 and then you die. Then about three or four generations later you are forgotten. I don't mean what is the meaning of life, I know what that is already. Meaning of life = nothing, there is no meaning or special purpose as to why we are here. What I mean is, what is the point in being alive itself? What's the point? Life is silly and then you die. Life is tough and you just struggle through it to die in the end.

If I could take a pill that would send me to sleep (death) painlessly, in a way, I might consider taking it.

PS: I'm not suicidal just wondering what is the point.
    I have a great idea... lets all believe in God and then we can bury our heads in the sand.

You are right though, life has no meaning. However, perhaps we should forget that and consider that life has meaning if we chose to give it meaning. What you have to do in life is to do what you are happy with; if you do not want to work until you are 65 then don't (have you seen fight club?). What I mean, is that perhaps we need to prescribe our own meaning to life and live our lives this way rather than dwelling on the aparent futility of existence.

Having said that, wouldn't it be a good idea for the whole human race to commit suicide at one point. Then we could put an end to this futile situation. Just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    The meaning of life is whatever you make it. No-one can tell you what your purpose is cos everyone's different. Define your own purpose. If when you die no-one remembers you, and you've achieved nothing, that's your own fault. Find the time to find a reason for your existance. And if you can't find one, make one

ReputationRep:
    Life is about music, because music's big up respectably good, and if i'm not involved in musical stuff, i'm either getting wasted or biding my time with menial pleasures.

The one thing that the idea and concept of the spirit or whatever it maybe or not be, has going for it, is that it makes it easier to accept being alive... i think it'd be nice if we found all kind of crazyness, and humanity ascended to a kind of omnium of knowledge and power, cause that'd be phat, and we could make well good music then.

ReputationRep:
    Religion tries to answer that question - have a look what the different religions have to say.

Good to see people are looking at the big, big picture - beyond our pettiness in the present day to day proceedings. I hope you don't take too much negativity/apathy from it though.

ReputationRep:
    the meaning of life is to look for the meaning...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    Isnt amazing how in the 4 or so posts that uve offended me, or tried to anyway, uve referred to my avatar..can i see a pic of you?
    shockzz i thing ure good looking. u remind me of mat frm busted hehe

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... i know the meaning of life is a lifetime quest but being young is a problem. your always waiting for the real stuff of life to begin.

life has no meaning in the grand scheme of things (ie the universe) but if you look in to the small human things, love,children,friendship, then you will see some relevance to your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    shockzz i thing ure good looking. u remind me of mat frm busted hehe
    yeahhhh, i think shockzz is fit too!

ReputationRep:
    U might be interested phil. but why don't you just enjoy what you've got in life?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the fact that people keep searching for purpose in their lives. Can they not accept that there simply doesn't have to be purpose and that they are the product of a load of random events. If you must know, you exit in order to allow for DNA to pass on it's code, renderring you useless so you eventually die.

ReputationRep:
    The meaning of life is to join the ALP, and the secret of life shalled be revealed.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone so concerned with 'the meaning of life' and the inpact of their own existance?

Live life for your own pleasures.

(Original post by rIcHrD)
    Good to see people are looking at the big, big picture - beyond our pettiness in the present day to day proceedings.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Why is everyone so concerned with 'the meaning of life' and the inpact of their own existance?

Live life for your own pleasures.

Why?
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I hate the fact that people keep searching for purpose in their lives. Can they not accept that there simply doesn't have to be purpose and that they are the product of a load of random events. If you must know, you exit in order to allow for DNA to pass on it's code, renderring you useless so you eventually die.
    Absolutely!!

ReputationRep:
    I have found 'looking at the big picture' good in that at least for me, it lets me see how little value there is in material gain - something much of this life seems to revolve around. And beyond the pettiness that constitutes much of life, the only thing I've found of significant value is happiness.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm

You have three pills you can swallow

1)religion
    2) the big picture
    3) your own happiness

Needless to say there are loads more but peoples arguments mostly fall into

"life is about god"

"Life is about your contribution to humanity and your place in the world"

"Life is about apreciating what you've got and being happy and living to the full simply because you have the ability to do so"

"Life has no meaning. Deal with it"

For me? well i'll take a pinch of each actually. I guess mainly if I'm doin what i know is right and moral and i am contented and happy with that and can be a blessing to other people, then i'm happy, and as far as i'm concerned, that is all that matters.

So many people on this board seem to believe that you have to work hard, you have to get good resutl, you have to get a decent job and then al the money you earn will make you happy.

WRONG WRONG WRONG DAMN WRONG!

If you can't be happy with what you've got-then you never will be! The only reason i study and work hard is because i genuinely ENJOY IT. It's not about working until your 65 and realising you wasted your life, it's more about living how you feel best suits you and following your interests (and if that is pondering the meaning of life then good for you!!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalandraka)
    hmmmmm

You have three pills you can swallow

1)religion
    2) the big picture
    3) your own happiness

Needless to say there are loads more but peoples arguments mostly fall into

"life is about god"

"Life is about your contribution to humanity and your place in the world"

"Life is about apreciating what you've got and being happy and living to the full simply because you have the ability to do so"

"Life has no meaning. Deal with it"

For me? well i'll take a pinch of each actually. I guess mainly if I'm doin what i know is right and moral and i am contented and happy with that and can be a blessing to other people, then i'm happy, and as far as i'm concerned, that is all that matters.

So many people on this board seem to believe that you have to work hard, you have to get good resutl, you have to get a decent job and then al the money you earn will make you happy.

If you can't be happy with what you've got-then you never will be! The only reason i study and work hard is because i genuinely ENJOY IT. It's not about working until your 65 and realising you wasted your life, it's more about living how you feel best suits you and following your interests (and if that is pondering the meaning of life then good for you!!!!!)
    The most important contributor to happiness is satisfaction on the way you look. This comes slightly before marriage.

(Original post by Kalandraka)

I agree completely.

Has anyone seen 'Death of a Salesman'? Everything Miller says in that play is correct IMO. It pretty much embodies my attitude towards life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus)
    What is the point in living? I mean, life is mainly work till you're are 65 and then you die. Then about three or four generations later you are forgotten. I don't mean what is the meaning of life, I know what that is already. Meaning of life = nothing, there is no meaning or special purpose as to why we are here. What I mean is, what is the point in being alive itself? What's the point? Life is silly and then you die. Life is tough and you just struggle through it to die in the end.

If I could take a pill that would send me to sleep (death) painlessly, in a way, I might consider taking it.

PS: I'm not suicidal just wondering what is the point.

you answered your own question here. For there to be a point there must be meaning behind the point. Therefore, as there is no meaning behind life there is thus no point in it

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.