Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    yeahhhh, i think shockzz is fit too!
    hehe, thanks..and likewise...mayb we can meet up sometime then

ReputationRep:
    we are all here to disagree go to war and blow each other to peices and with people like you around thats all we will do. you dont give a dam bout your life which is fair enough but why dont you try givin a dam bout other peoples.
    there could be sucidal people who have read this and gone and killed themselves
    think bout it

ReputationRep:
    The Meaning Of Life:

For men is to spread their seed as much as possible to increase the probability of producing off-spring, which will carry on their gentic code.

For women it is to look after the off-spring, until it is old enough to put both the mum and dad in a old ppl's home, and the whole cycle is then repeated

or not.

ReputationRep:
    P'haps reading some Nietzche may be fun.

ReputationRep:
    I think the meaning of life is to live

ReputationRep:
    The meaning of life is to be happy. If you're happy then you dont question the point, because there is no need to. Only the pessimist/depressives think "what's the point"

And to quote an old cliche, cos its relevant, and true:
    "happiness is a journey, not a destination"

ReputationRep:
    why not try not thinking abt the point of until u at that point when u are abt to die, that way u can worry abt it then (and try thinking of things that u are grateful for, to get ''personal'' meaning'')

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the french existentialists' approach to this problem. Life is made up of meanial tasks, and everything we fill our lives with is useless and meaningless in the 'big picture'.

Therefore the only point to life is self-fullfilement. The way to self-fulfilement is individual, but in order to achieve this it is necessary to act only out of what one feels is right for oneself, regardless of the reasons one has for feeling that this is right. Doing something because of the restraints of society or religion is what Jean-Paul Sartre called bad-faith (mauvaise foi in french) and this ultimately stands in the way of true happiness. He also said that true happiness inevitably leads to absurdity.

Camus also discussed this in his book The works of cyssifus (don't know the exact title, but it's something like this). Cyssifus is a person from a Greek legend who is forced by the gods to roll a large rock up a steep hill, and when he reaches the top the rock rolls down again and he has to start all over again. And this goes on for all eternity. What Camus said was that our lives our all like this, but also that Cyssifus could achieve happiness despite his cruel fate.

I'm not sure if i've described everything right, and the arguments are far more complex than i have presented them. I would advise anyone who is interested in these issues to read some of the things Camus, Sartre and other existentialists have written as it's very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    "Il faut imagine Cyssifus heureux"
    -what a splendid Norwegian class that was. TK sure has his moments.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, i missed that class! So my luck to miss the one time we talk about something interesting. Was probably skiving, so i guess it's my fault.

Btw linda, you should've been there when Waters talked about existentialism to the english A1 class. Best lesson i've had at berg so far! Although i think i was the only person to enjoy it, a lot of the other students were hangover!

ReputationRep:
    Howcome he never has guest lectures in Norwegian? Grrr...
    btw. when are you leaving for Oxford? Are you coming to ToK class tomorrow (it will be a lot more fun if you are there to attack everything I say about maths and arts )?

ReputationRep:
    My flight leaves at 10:50, so i won't be at school. So you'll have to manage without my pedantic and arrogant comments in ToK. It'll be hard i know, but you'll manage somehow.

ReputationRep:
    myff... it's no fun when I don't have anyone to argue with. I suppose I just have to think of something that could really provoke the art students or something...
    Anyways - good luck with your interviews and entrance exam (like you need it...).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

And you're wrong, i do need it. Espesially with the predicted grades my teachers gave me. But i guess you've already experienced the concequences of having teachers that give you the lowest possible grade you'll ever get. :mad: :mad: :mad: (stupid teachers)

ReputationRep:
    There is no meaning to life. We serve only as methods of transportation for genes and atoms. They mould us and give us our main characteristics, so basically we are all just a huge mass of genes and atoms who collaborate only so that they can survive.

ReputationRep:
    Fascinating, totally fascinating, this just goes to show how we are so individual, now I hope I dont bore you with my theories.

1) We are all parasites, living in a pigs ear, (hope people understand that)

2) We are born, we die, a and c, but what of b, b is freedom of choice, the path we choose to get from a to c, what we do, what we achieve, what we dont achieve, we have no control of a, some may say we have control over c but that depends on personal beliefs,(I believe that if our time has come to stop living, then we die, be it natural, accident, or euthanasia). The meaning of life, its a personal thing for we each have our own hopes and wishes, our dreams, b is achieving those, each person will have their own *meaning*, what will be, will be, fate, destiny, marxism, fatalism, whatever. Providing we achieve our personal aims in life, then that gives us our *meaning*. A and C are preordained, B is our choice.

It isnt about what others think is important (having read someones points on low grades), providing at the end of your life, you can look back and say, I achieved ........, then you have meaning, who can say how important each achievement is, what is small to one will be great to another. Making a difference to yourself, to those around you, to that stray dog in the street, all gives us meaning, you dont have to have a set path, as long as you're treading the path you want

ReputationRep:
    No point to life as in some metaphysical Reason or some divine purpose.

BUT surely something is better than nothing. We can after all make something of something, our own goals our own dreams. We are our won gods. Recreating the world endlessly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbp20717)
    There is no meaning to life. We serve only as methods of transportation for genes and atoms. They mould us and give us our main characteristics, so basically we are all just a huge mass of genes and atoms who collaborate only so that they can survive.

Genes are made of atoms.

Leaving this aside you may be right, but if you belief in free will and self-determination then we can construct our own purpose in life. It could be our work, our family or whatever it is that makes us happy, or benefits mankind (rather lofty) or the people we love. Some would say self-fulfillment is the only thing that matters, but this is supremely selfish. If you love someone, their happiness will be as impotant as yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Genes are made of atoms.

Leaving this aside you may be right, but if you belief in free will and self-determination then we can construct our own purpose in life. It could be our work, our family or whatever it is that makes us happy, or benefits mankind (rather lofty) or the people we love. Some would say self-fulfillment is the only thing that matters, but this is supremely selfish. If you love someone, their happiness will be as impotant as yours.
    Look. It's 42. Thats all ya need to know. 42 is the be all and end all of it all Why? Because when the issue came up, it was the only thing to be said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Look. It's 42. Thats all ya need to know. 42 is the be all and end all of it all Why? Because when the issue came up, it was the only thing to be said.
    Wise words...

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.