Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point in life? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    it's already there when you press the reply button
    The one in the box with the persons message.

ReputationRep:
    To make us regret every little action or decision we ever made and suffer the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIG_MASKALL)
    NO IT AINT

HE HAS A POINT

I agree, what is the point - where are you philosophers? Any suggesstions anyone?

ReputationRep:
    this thread is a bit depressing.

ReputationRep:
    awh man. this thread has really depressed me

ReputationRep:
    the meening of life: To grow up, to reproduce, to bring up your offspring in safety, to die, so that there is more space in the universe.
    Pretty grim, i know, but it makes sense, what would be the point in living forever, you just take up valuable real estate

ReputationRep:
    ok in literal terms we are here to make babies, look after babies and then die but in both the making babies and looking after them there is love involved (Ok i know not all the time) so the meaning of life = love

ReputationRep:
    You have to create a point to your own life. If you don't then there is no point in trying. You may as well go to McDonalds now and ask if they have any jobs for someone who will never be bothered to go and find success

ReputationRep:
    Looking at only what is supported by evidence and using a simplistic consideration, life is the causal consequence of the initiation of the universe's expansion. The purpose, if there need be one, of being alive is to provide continuity to 'life' by reproduction. The purpose is hence simultaneously the cause. But as not everyone succeeds in the purpose above, an even simpler and less fallible reason, 'to die' is probably more logical. Of course this doesn't usually constitute a purpose to most, as presumably a purpose must be a meaningful one.

From that simplistic pov, all other reasons why people consider themselves alive are derived from thought processes alone and ultimately of no material value.

ReputationRep:
    the way i look at it is that things don't have to be complicated. We have intelligence/the ability to understand things because thats what we're supposed to do. The point of reproduction, eating and basic survival is to allow us to survive long enough so we can achieve as much understanding of the universe/god/whatever u want to call it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Why do people care for the meaning of life? My philosophy is don't question why I'm here but instead just accept I'm here and I'm going to make the most of it. But if I wanted an answer I would say my life was about making a positive impact on others' lives. If that won't do for you, the answer is 42.
    To all those polluting the thread with negative outlooks, I thought I'd bring up my first and now no longer only post here. Happy reading.

ReputationRep:
    Life is like ****. When ur in it it stinks, but when u get rid you want to stand in it again...that makes no sense and dont think that i go around standing in **** to have some kind of meaning.

ReputationRep:
    *sinks into deep depression*

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know what's the matter with you miserable bas*ards! Life is fuc*ing great and sure beats the hell out of the alternative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well I don't know what's the matter with you miserable bas*ards! Life is fuc*ing great and sure beats the hell out of the alternative!
    mmm nicely put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What, death? How do you know death is crap, it might be a right hoot. Or, it might just be nothing, and end to your consciousness, like before you were born.
    Then why is death always associated with some kind of pain? - the whole heaven and hell - your sins will follow you kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoraBelle)
    Then why is death always associated with some kind of pain? - the whole heaven and hell - your sins will follow you kind of thing?
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Why not?
    Pain lets you know you are alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Pain lets you know you are alive.
    And so lepers are dead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    And so lepers are dead?
    Haven't you heard this argument? It works with almost any religion (including for a moment Athism). When you are dead it is supposed to be eternal bliss (or absolute agony) or non-sensual existance or total non-existance. Therfore the only sign we have that we are still alive is the pain we feel day to day. The heat, the cold, the pressure on our bodies, the tastes in the air. The mix of positive and negative stimuli are the only thing that let us know we arn't in some heaven or hell (or ceased to exist).

I ain't so good at these arguments, but like this one.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.