Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i don't know where to start really...

I finished sixth form in June, with the intention of taking a gap year of some sort and just "seeing where things go". Really, I was in denial about going to uni as i found the idea very daunting. However recently I have changed my mind, as I see how excited people around me are about going I'm starting to realise what a brilliant opportunity going to uni is, and its something I now really want to do - for sure. I haven't applied through UCAS or anything so far.

However... my A levels are not good enough to get me into any decent uni, and that is my fault as well because without having a clear idea into where i wanted to go in the future when i was in sixth form I just basically wasted my time and just got the grades without trying hard. I get my results on the 20th august (i think?) but this is what i think i'll be getting:

Business Studies: C (certain of this)
    Music: C
    General Studies: B

Sadly I also dropped Design during my A2 year (i got a C at AS), and i know many uni's dont even accept general studies so in reality i only have a C,C plus another fairly useless C at AS.

What I really want to do is to take Music Technology at uni, and there is one course at York which really looks amazing, and to get in I need at least B,B,C:
    http://www.elec.york.ac.uk/ugrad/app...rymustech.html

I was just wondering if you wonderful people had any advice about how I could get the extra A level and maybe boost another up to a B during my gap year, or if anyone has been in a similar situation. I'm not even sure if I can go back to sixth form for another year, and I have no way of contacting them until term starts again in september - which may be too late, i just have no idea. I doubt they'll have much sympathy either as they know how i wasted my time there before. I am kicking myself so much as well because I had multiple chances to get my business grade up to a B and continue with design (i was only 4 points off a B at AS) but I just gave up and thought that i don't even want to go to uni anyway. Biggest mistake of my life.

Jamie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuser9)
    I was just wondering if you wonderful people had any advice about how I could get the extra A level and maybe boost another up to a B during my gap year

Jamie
    1. Wait and see what the results bring. You may do better than you think.
    2. revise hard and retake some of your A2 units in January to boost your C's to B's. Talk to your school exams officer to see if they'd be willing to accept you as a private candidate for the exams. Be as honest with them as you have been with yourself and they'll probably help. January is your last real chance of resits as the specifications you have taken are being withdrawn. Otherwise ring round other local schools/colleges exams officers to see who might take you as a private candidate for resits (start making a list in case).
    3. Check if York or similar will accept general studies together with your AS instead of a C. I doubt they will but asking won't hurt.
    4. Self study an extra A level (e.g. with NEC http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/categor...tegory_id=3305 or OOL http://www.ool.co.uk/Alevel/ALevelDi...arningHome.htm) easily done in a gap year if you are motivated enough to succeed - though it can be hard to sort out exams if the course requires assessed coursework or practical exams.
    5. Do a foundation course to gain entry for the degree.

You'll find a way if you want to do it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieuser9)
    Ok, i don't know where to start really...

I finished sixth form in June, with the intention of taking a gap year of some sort and just "seeing where things go". Really, I was in denial about going to uni as i found the idea very daunting. However recently I have changed my mind, as I see how excited people around me are about going I'm starting to realise what a brilliant opportunity going to uni is, and its something I now really want to do - for sure. I haven't applied through UCAS or anything so far.

However... my A levels are not good enough to get me into any decent uni, and that is my fault as well because without having a clear idea into where i wanted to go in the future when i was in sixth form I just basically wasted my time and just got the grades without trying hard. I get my results on the 20th august (i think?) but this is what i think i'll be getting:

Business Studies: C (certain of this)
    Music: C
    General Studies: B

Sadly I also dropped Design during my A2 year (i got a C at AS), and i know many uni's dont even accept general studies so in reality i only have a C,C plus another fairly useless C at AS.

What I really want to do is to take Music Technology at uni, and there is one course at York which really looks amazing, and to get in I need at least B,B,C:
    http://www.elec.york.ac.uk/ugrad/app...rymustech.html

I was just wondering if you wonderful people had any advice about how I could get the extra A level and maybe boost another up to a B during my gap year, or if anyone has been in a similar situation. I'm not even sure if I can go back to sixth form for another year, and I have no way of contacting them until term starts again in september - which may be too late, i just have no idea. I doubt they'll have much sympathy either as they know how i wasted my time there before. I am kicking myself so much as well because I had multiple chances to get my business grade up to a B and continue with design (i was only 4 points off a B at AS) but I just gave up and thought that i don't even want to go to uni anyway. Biggest mistake of my life.

Jamie
    This was exactly my situation! AS year I was in a grammar school sixth form, which I hated, ended up being kicked out due to not turning up anymore. So I managed to transfer to a local crap college for my A2 year, and finish my A-levels there, but I was only allowed to take two A-levels (that's how bad it was!). So I decided there was no point in me going to uni, finished the year with A - General Studies, B - English Language and Literature, B - Business Studies.

A few months after results I decided that I wasn't going to let this stop me from doing what I wanted. So for the past year I've been self teaching A2 History, arranged all the exams myself and applied to university as an individual. It has been difficult doing things like personal statements without school help, but TSR has a brilliant section which gives advice for you. I also did an English resit and bumped my result up to an A, and had offers from all the five universities I applied to, and now just waiting on the results of my History exams.

If you want to go to university, you can make it happen, but you need to put in a lot of work. I will say however, that three universities I did apply to accepted General Studies as a third A-level; Surrey, Brighton and Leicester. A lot of them do, you have to check up on it. Arrange some re-sits where possible in Music, and study another A-level this year, either on your own or at a local college. If you want any advice/help I'd be more than happy to help you, as I was in exactly the same position as you last year!

Luci

ReputationRep:
    Oh and, what exam board are you with? You can get the exam board to email you a list of centres that accept private candidates in your area to do your exams and resits - it's how I found my centre. Then it's just a lot of ringing around to see where you can go.

ReputationRep:
    You could always apply through clearing?
    Often they'll accept you without the exact grades if it's through clearing.
    You can often re-take A-levels without actually having to re-do the course, just get them to put you in for the exam, so long as you're sure you can be dedicated enough to revise independently and you wont forget all that you previously learned.
    Quite a few universities accept General studies as a third subject (Liverpool and Leicester are both good universities which do this) and some universities will even accept you with just two A-levels.
    Good luck

Get your application in now through UCAS so that you will get a clearing number. It means that when the results are out you can see if any courses are available that meet your needs and that you meet the grades for. If you don't find anything then pursue the gap year but clearing is definitely worth a shot.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.