Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does dyeing hair darker generally make it shinier? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically what the title says

My hair is in good condition generally, but although its soft and frizz free its never exactly what you'd call glossy. I've noticed people with hair a dark brown colour tend to have it a lot shinier, but I'm not sure if this is down to conditioning products or general hair type, or just the colour it is. I'm wanting to dye my hair quite a bit darker in the autumn so I was just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about darker vs lighter, but try using a semi-permanent dye such as L'oreal Casting Creme gloss. Basically this kind of dye "coats" the hair shaft, making it smoother and more glossy (whereas a permanent dye colours the hair by physically changing the structure of the hair shaft, at least that's how I understand it anyway). I just did mine in the weekend and it's gone from dry, frizzy mess to shiny and glossy The only downside is of course that you can only change the colour and not the tone (i.e. it can't make your hair darker or lighter than it already is).

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Light reflects off dark colours. If your hair's straight, it will appear 'shinier' than hair that is curly as the light doesn't have enough surface area to reflect off of. Same with dark vs light - blondes will always struggle to acheive a natural shine which is why serums and shine sprays are often geared towards lighter coloured hair.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, well lightening the hair makes the hair shaft open (according to 10 years younger) so I would presume darkening it with a good dye will do the opposite and thus probably make it shiner.
    From personal experience, my hair was blonded atm and it's shiny but quite coarse, but my hair always feels in better condition after making it dark brown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BettySwollocks)
    I agree with star violet, Casting Creme Gloss is perfect for this However, be careful with the 'dark chocolate' shade, because it comes out a lot darker than the box makes out.
    Yeah, I use Casting Creme Gloss in ebony black and it makes my hair sooo shiny. Love it. The Castings original dye is just as good, but cheaper. I use 'natural black' and the shine is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    it does look shinier but it depends on the shade, but same as above, be careful of dark chocolate or similar shades, i dyed my hair this colour and it came out jet black and even after 3 months there was no fading.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.