Turn on thread page Beta

Do all reject letters sound stuck up? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    :woo: :woo: "I regret to inform you"

"Good luck in finding a course, elsewhere"

Why pretend to regret rejecting you? Why deliberately place a comma before saying elsewhere to make it sound like they don't want you applying to their university regardless of the department and course?

:woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSpoon2009)

Why pretend to regret rejecting you? Why deliberately place a comma before saying elsewhere to make it sound like they don't want you applying to their university regardless of the department and course?

:woo: :woo:
    Well how else would you write the opening sentence?

And the comma is good grammar, not a deliberate mockery of your application.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you deserved to be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's:

"Lol, nice try *****. GTFO our institution. P.S Rofl @ your third sentence."

Not particularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Unless it's:

"Lol, nice try *****. GTFO our institution. P.S Rofl @ your third sentence."

Not particularly.
    I regret it but I just sent them an email saying "Lol. Nice try b1tch! GTFO of my arse! It's me rejecting you not the other way round!!! P.S [email protected] opening line."

How dare they reject me!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I regret it but I just sent them an email saying "Lol. Nice try b1tch! GTFO of my arse! It's me rejecting you not the other way round!!! P.S [email protected] opening line."

How dare they reject me!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    ...You actually emailed the admissions office an angry message in geekspeak because they didn't let you in claiming you didn't want to go there anyway?

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    ...You actually emailed the admissions office an angry message in geekspeak because they didn't let you in claiming you didn't want to go there anyway?

You believed him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    You believed him?

There seem to be a lot of people who take rejection incredibly badly on here.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Those are just standard phrases you'll find in any rejection letter. Obviously it's not what anyone likes to hear, so these sort of attempts at softening the blow are bound to fail, but what else should they write? It isn't as though there was any way of telling you so you'd be happy to hear you've been rejected, is there?:dontknow:
    Why pretend to regret rejecting you?
    So as not to make you feel any worse than absolutely necessary. Would you prefer it if the letter said 'We decided to reject you because you're rubbish and your application was a complete waste of our time (and yours too, come to think of it). Next time, think before you apply'?
    And if I wanted to be really pedantic, I'd point out that they're not actually pretending to regret rejecting you, they're saying they regret to inform you of your rejection - which is probably true.:p:
    Why deliberately place a comma before saying elsewhere to make it sound like they don't want you applying to their university regardless of the department and course?
    "Elsewhere" = at another department, since clearly the department sending out the letter has just rejected you. That's not rubbing it in, it's only common sense. You're really reading far too much into this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.