Turn on thread page Beta

Cable to Connect Laptop to an Amp watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically having a house party soon and my mate will be DJing using his Laptop. However we're gonna use an amp to spread out the sound due to the huge volumes it can create. Only thing is we don't have a way to connect his laptop to this amp, but we know it's via a cable which would put the sound through the amp. Anyone know which cable we will need?

Laptop is HP btw and Amp is Ibanez. Rep if you can help here.

ReputationRep:
    Guitar amp...probably won't sound too great but you can use a jack adaptor and jack into the amps input. http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shopscr1941.html

ReputationRep:
    Aye we've got much better speakers but they're not very versatile so we're looking at this. I'll trial it and cos it's cheap see if it works.

Thanks for the link but which one would you recommend or can they all be used?

ReputationRep:
    Any of the 3.5mm to 6.3mm should do it I think.

ReputationRep:
    If your amp has those red and white connector plugs this will do the job

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Phono-..._ob_ce_title_1

Black headphone socket on the top of the pic goes to the laptop and the red plug / white plug goes to the amp.

ReputationRep:
    whichever 3.5mm to 6.5mm jack to jack you can find. it will sound horrible, best bet would be to hire a PA system. the difference cant really be explained!

i assume the DJ will want a monitor so an additional amp of some sort will be needed for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyjoyce)
    whichever 3.5mm to 6.5mm jack to jack you can find. it will sound horrible, best bet would be to hire a PA system. the difference cant really be explained!

i assume the DJ will want a monitor so an additional amp of some sort will be needed for that
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skribla)
    lol
    lol at what :confused:? dont see you contributing your superior knowledge

ReputationRep:
    lol at what :confused:? dont see you contributing your superior knowledge
    PA system? house party? That's all I was 'laughing' at.

Besides, a standard headphone jack to phono cable should be fine. Make sure to try and run it through the Auxillary input if you can.

And having a monitor? Yeah sure, that'd help, but it's only a house party and that sort of thing is normally reserved for bigger venues when you have issues with sound, i.e. echo's and delays. This is only off a laptop. I just dont think it sounds like a proffessional scenario (not that there's anything wrong with that - I just mean for these purposes probably not worth taking that route)

ReputationRep:
    PA system? house party? That's all I was 'laughing' at.

Besides, a standard headphone jack to phono cable should be fine. Make sure to try and run it through the Auxillary input if you can.

And having a monitor? Yeah sure, that'd help, but it's only a house party and that sort of thing is normally reserved for bigger venues when you have issues with sound, i.e. echo's and delays. This is only off a laptop. I just dont think it sounds like a proffessional scenario (not that there's anything wrong with that - I just mean for these purposes probably not worth taking that route)
    im not one to start internet wars but the guy wants to connect a laptop to a guitar amp, aka 6.3mm input, also mentions 'huge' volumes which a small PA system will provide with much greater effect than a guitar amp designed to reproduce guitar frequency spectrum rather than the full range of compressed/recorded audio.

soooo... yes a guitar amp will work, yes it will be 'loud' and no it wont sound good. all you need is a 3.5mm to 6.3mm (small jack to big jack)

im all for professionalism when it comes to sound, i work as a sound tech part time and im fed up of going to pubs, small clubs, house parties etc where amateurs have set up the sound reinforcement and it sounds shocking! if its worth doing its worth doing well and all that

ReputationRep:
    im not one to start internet wars but the guy wants to connect a laptop to a guitar amp, aka 6.3mm input, also mentions 'huge' volumes which a small PA system will provide with much greater effect than a guitar amp designed to reproduce guitar frequency spectrum rather than the full range of compressed/recorded audio.

soooo... yes a guitar amp will work, yes it will be 'loud' and no it wont sound good. all you need is a 3.5mm to 6.3mm (small jack to big jack)

im all for professionalism when it comes to sound, i work as a sound tech part time and im fed up of going to pubs, small clubs, house parties etc where amateurs have set up the sound reinforcement and it sounds shocking! if its worth doing its worth doing well and all that
    Ditto.

Also If you're trying to use a single guitar amp to provide enough volume for a large space you'll also find you're deafening the people next to the guitar amp (and probably the DJ) and people on the other side of the room will probably only hear odd bits. The people in the middle of the room will probably also find the volumes about right but it sounds sh!te.

There's a lot to be said for having the right sized amps and right number of speakers for the venue so you can then have a reasonable volume and quality of sound for everyone.

ReputationRep:

Yes, fair enough. I read the post and just assumed it was an unbranded amp from Maplins or something, not a guitar amp. So yes, it will sound really bad, but even plugging it into a hifi system with Auxillary or just a standard amp with monitors would be fine.

No need for a PA system for a house I think. IMO not worth the effort for a house party, as there are so many other variables that will affect the 'sound'. Room acoustics for one. I don't think rigging up a laptop to a PA system would really sound all that great anyway, for various reasons, not to mention the fact that a laptop is going to have a crappy soundcard so the quality is not going to 'shine through' on a PA system.

ReputationRep:
    No need for a PA system for a house I think. IMO not worth the effort for a house party, as there are so many other variables that will affect the 'sound'. Room acoustics for one. I don't think rigging up a laptop to a PA system would really sound all that great anyway, for various reasons, not to mention the fact that a laptop is going to have a crappy soundcard so the quality is not going to 'shine through' on a PA system.
    It can be better than you might think. I used to use a ~£70 5.1 system from maplin which was reasonable but I now have a 100W amp and matching speakers (also from maplin so at the low end of PA). For most of what I watch/listen to at home the PA setup is better even though I'm usually at nowhere near the full power I can manage (amp at -12dB and mixer probably around -10dB so probably only at 1-2W). The 5.1 might be better if I spent my time watching lots of DVD's but that's mostly as I'd get the benefit of the 5.1 then (although possibly not such good quality audio)

One thing that does make a difference is the quality of what's going in. I do sometimes feed my setup from a laptop but I'm generally using better quality MP3's for that (192kbps+). If I can use a CD then 'll use that instead.

If I didn't have my current kit I'd probably go for a hifi amp and speakers for a house party style thing, I have done this in the past but see the comment below.

The biggest lesson I've learned is the difference having a number of people in the venue makes. I once used a hifi type amp and speakers in one venue. Tested with an MP3 player before hand and had what seemed like it was loud enough and I could still go louder. When the actual event took place and there were a number of people in the room I found that I'd gone as loud as I'd tested with, used up any spare and it still wasn't loud enough (I reached the point that I had reached the limit of the amp's capability)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really call having a 100w amp and speakers a PA system. I presume you mean you have studio monitors or something similar for 'matching speakers'

(Original post by mfaxford)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really call having a 100w amp and speakers a PA system. I presume you mean you have studio monitors or something similar for 'matching speakers'
    I did say low end PA. I think it's one of these so actually more than 100W. the 100W was probably from memory and might have been for the previous version of what I've got.

Assuming I'm remembering right I've got http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220514 and http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220544.

Of course if you want to do power comparisons my 5.1 system I think quoted it's self at over 1Kw however the low end PA is definitely louder (PMPO vs RMS power)

ReputationRep:
    whichever 3.5mm to 6.5mm jack to jack you can find. it will sound horrible
    I hope you're not referring to the sonic qualities of the jack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramble)
    I hope you're not referring to the sonic qualities of the jack?
    nope, was referring to the sound quality of the guitar amp. i dont believe a word of the crap about more expensive cables sounding 'better'

ReputationRep:
    nope, was referring to the sound quality of the guitar amp. i dont believe a word of the crap about more expensive cables sounding 'better'
    I have come across some very poor quality cables but as long as you avoid those I don't think there's that much difference between something that's good and ber high quality.

Once you get into digital it shouldn't make any difference. If there's a signal it's going to work. So no spending $500 in a cat5 cable (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp)

The only time possibly to start spending lots of money on cables is if you have silly money to burn and you've already created a room with perfect acoustics and you've get the best possible equipment. At which point you should probably go out and get a life rather than buying uber quality cables.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.