Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions about fitness and weight loss Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Okay, so don't judge me because I'm tubby, I'm trying my hardest to do something about it...

So my plan is, since my boyfriend is away for a month or so, I can really try and get some sort of fitness training plan going. I find it really hard though because my parents just laugh at me, and it's kind of disheartening when you're trying your hardest to lose weight and get fit and you've got not support...

Anyway, I'm about 5'1", and I know I weigh about 12 stone, and my BMI is like 32 or something, so I really, seriously need to sort myself out. I carry the majority of my weight around my middle, then my thighs and arms and now it's starting to creep around my neck. I was just wondering what sort of exercises I should be doing to shift this sort of fat? I've changed my diet so I'm eating less processed foods, more fruit and veg and only lean beef, chicken and fish. I get my carbs from boiled potatoes or pasta, and I'm trying to avoid bread but when I'm at work a sandwich or salad are my only options, really.

From next week I'm only going to be working 3 days a week, so for the other 4 I'll be free. I have an exercise bike at home, so I thought I'd try some HIIT on Monday and Tuesday (when no one is in my house) with maybe some jogging? As for muscle strength I'm going to attempt lunges, squats and sit ups.

For the 3 days I'm working, it's going to be hard to find time (I know, I should make time) to exercise, apart from maybe more lunges and squats while I'm hidden away in my room. I also want to swim at least once a week, and I'll try lengths until fatigued.

I'm basically just asking for comments on what people think will help me lose the body fat, gain more muscle and get me into a good regime? Also any new exercises I can do at home (or even at work!) would be great. I understand this is going to take a couple of years to get me down to a good weight, but once I get into the swing of things, I think I should manage ok. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    The single most important thing isn't going to be consuming fewer calories than you're using. The other things will help, but eating less is the most significant.

You're proposed plan seems to generally be on track; but the greatest fitness regime in the world will not let you lose weight if you eat too much. Once you've worked out a good healthy calorie deficit, along with your plan, the weight will come off nicely.

Do weights and you'll retain a lot of your muscle so that a good looking body will be revealed.

ReputationRep:
    Whats really helpd m is joining a slimming group, ie slimming world. its given me support, in fitness and in diet something I needed, and its meant i now have a positive relationship with my food, and am enjoying it. It IS hard, and man it does get confusing, and can ruin your relationship with food when all you're doing is counting calories and worrying, I'd really reccomend it, and as you can see i've had a positive loss and still counting

Because your BMI is over 30, you can also visit your GP and get 12 weeks free on the NHS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    Okay, so don't judge me because I'm tubby, I'm trying my hardest to do something about it...

So my plan is, since my boyfriend is away for a month or so, I can really try and get some sort of fitness training plan going. I find it really hard though because my parents just laugh at me, and it's kind of disheartening when you're trying your hardest to lose weight and get fit and you've got not support...

Anyway, I'm about 5'1", and I know I weigh about 12 stone, and my BMI is like 32 or something, so I really, seriously need to sort myself out. I carry the majority of my weight around my middle, then my thighs and arms and now it's starting to creep around my neck. I was just wondering what sort of exercises I should be doing to shift this sort of fat? I've changed my diet so I'm eating less processed foods, more fruit and veg and only lean beef, chicken and fish. I get my carbs from boiled potatoes or pasta, and I'm trying to avoid bread but when I'm at work a sandwich or salad are my only options, really.

From next week I'm only going to be working 3 days a week, so for the other 4 I'll be free. I have an exercise bike at home, so I thought I'd try some HIIT on Monday and Tuesday (when no one is in my house) with maybe some jogging? As for muscle strength I'm going to attempt lunges, squats and sit ups.

For the 3 days I'm working, it's going to be hard to find time (I know, I should make time) to exercise, apart from maybe more lunges and squats while I'm hidden away in my room. I also want to swim at least once a week, and I'll try lengths until fatigued.

I'm basically just asking for comments on what people think will help me lose the body fat, gain more muscle and get me into a good regime? Also any new exercises I can do at home (or even at work!) would be great. I understand this is going to take a couple of years to get me down to a good weight, but once I get into the swing of things, I think I should manage ok. Thanks for your help
    Whatever you do don't do anything too hard to start with, make sure that you get used to the routine that you won't quit before upping the tempo.

I will let better gym experts give you some advice, but I just lost my weight through diet, running 4x a week, and some big hikes (42 miles in 18 hours etc). Best of luck!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, the actual amount of food I eat isn't actually that much - it can just be quite high in calories.

I also tired slimming world last summer (my brother has been going for over a year and has lost 5 stone!) but I couldn't get on with it, I love meat too much to have only green days, and to have carbs with my meat on red days meant I was using up my bs so couldn't have cereal.

That's why I've decided I'm just going to stick to my own diet and exercise more. I used to eat the same as I do now, but I walked around a lot, and I was never really chunky (my BMI three years ago was 26). And since I went on the pill, my appetite for junk food rocketed, so now I'm trying to replace with fruits and things, but not deny myself one biscuit ever now and again if I "crave" one.

Thanks for the support, and I'll soon be posting a fitness blog after swimming tonight to keep a record of progress .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    Yeah, the actual amount of food I eat isn't actually that much - it can just be quite high in calories.

I also tired slimming world last summer (my brother has been going for over a year and has lost 5 stone!) but I couldn't get on with it, I love meat too much to have only green days, and to have carbs with my meat on red days meant I was using up my bs so couldn't have cereal.

That's why I've decided I'm just going to stick to my own diet and exercise more. I used to eat the same as I do now, but I walked around a lot, and I was never really chunky (my BMI three years ago was 26). And since I went on the pill, my appetite for junk food rocketed, so now I'm trying to replace with fruits and things, but not deny myself one biscuit ever now and again if I "crave" one.

Thanks for the support, and I'll soon be posting a fitness blog after swimming tonight to keep a record of progress .

wow 5 stone!!! Good for him! Yeah people do find it hard, theres another plan now tho where you can have meet AND carbs on that day, and it works too

ReputationRep:
    Situps are amazing for feeling like you're doing something, getting fitter and they're easy. I started doing how many I could comfortably manage in the morning and the evening, and then pushed myself to 10 more once I knew how many I could do. Swimming is like THE best exercies you can do, it uses every muscle in your body and it's fun.
    All the ideas you've got seem brilliant, I'd say just trying to fit them all together into some sort of routine and you'll be well on your way. Decide what you want to do every day and if you have time repeat it in both the morning and the evening. For the things you can't do every day like swimming and the exercise bike, set a couple of times a week where it's possible to do them and then make sure you do at least one of the times. Once you start doing everything and get into enjoying it, it should make it easier for you to keep going!
    You've got all the right ideas!

ReputationRep:
    The plan looks pretty good overall. Your ideas about eating are sensible, assuming that you're setting sensible portion sizes, and your exercise plan is reasonably balanced. I'd recommend adding to your resistance training so that you're getting a full body work out, but other than that I think if you stick to it the results should be good.

ReputationRep:
    music. keeps you feeling positive and takes your mind off the exercise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.