Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What IB requirements are there for university applicants seeking to study Bio-technology, Bio-engineering or Medicine/Environmental related courses in university? (Particularly those loctaed in the USA or Australia).
    Currently, I've chosen:
    HL: Chemistry, Biology & English A
    SL: Mathematics, History & Chinese B
    Additionally, I'm also studying for SAT 1 examinations & later on SAT 2 Subject tests including chemistry, biology & level 2 maths. Possibly also History & English literature depending on whether or not I can handle so much study.
    As CAS Requirements I've currently joined four clubs and intend to join perhaps 2 or 3 more. (Making sure I have a combination of creativity, action and service) An adequate number I hope? Since I remember someone telling me something about American universities giving priority to applicants with more community outreach? *unsure*
    I think/hope this is all satisfactory but apparently HL Mathematics is highly considered at some universities. I want to keep my options open when I reach the stage when I have to actually apply & I don't want to unwittingly exclude myself from any of the universities by making foolish subject choices. I still have a chance to change subjects so is it advisable that I do so? (if so, which ones?) Or is what I have already chosen enough for the courses I want? (Can a good score in SAT 2 Mathematics be a substitute for not choosing HL Mathematics in IB?)
    Sincere thanks for answering my numerous questions~

ReputationRep:
    U.S. universities are generally nowhere near as picky as in the U.K. in terms of what you choose as courses. I personally find your courses highly relevant to Medicine, however you may want to consider taking a certificate for Physics SL(/HL) for Bioengineering. Like I say though, they are most likely going to consider you no matter what you choose if you do well. In the U.K., most colleges prefer you to take one essay-based subject as HL (e.g. social science, A1 lang.) as you have chosen, rather than lug a mix of BIO, CHE & MAT at HL. I would believe you taking the Mathematics II test to be fully adequate to show your mathematical skills, however the syllabi are not homologous. In terms of SAT II tests, however, I would definitely recommend taking more than just the sciences and mathematics, as you should try to show diversity. I would recommend taking the Writing SAT II test and perhaps Chinese SAT II (if you are good enough). Taking History/US History is extremely detailed and the chances of their syllabi matching yours is very slim; however, if you don't mind studying for the exam, it should be fine!

Good luck

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.