Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What IB requirements are there for university applicants seeking to study Bio-technology, Bio-engineering or Medicine/Environmental related courses in university? (Particularly those loctaed in the USA or Australia).
    Currently, I've chosen:
    HL: Chemistry, Biology & English A
    SL: Mathematics, History & Chinese B
    Additionally, I'm also studying for SAT 1 examinations & later on SAT 2 Subject tests including chemistry, biology & level 2 maths. Possibly also History & English literature depending on whether or not I can handle so much study.
    As CAS Requirements I've currently joined four clubs and intend to join perhaps 2 or 3 more. (Making sure I have a combination of creativity, action and service) An adequate number I hope? Since I remember someone telling me something about American universities giving priority to applicants with more community outreach? *unsure*
    I think/hope this is all satisfactory but apparently HL Mathematics is highly considered at some universities. I want to keep my options open when I reach the stage when I have to actually apply & I don't want to unwittingly exclude myself from any of the universities by making foolish subject choices. I still have a chance to change subjects so is it advisable that I do so? (if so, which ones?) Or is what I have already chosen enough for the courses I want? (Can a good score in SAT 2 Mathematics be a substitute for not choosing HL Mathematics in IB?)
    Sincere thanks for answering my numerous questions~

ReputationRep:
    U.S. universities are generally nowhere near as picky as in the U.K. in terms of what you choose as courses. I personally find your courses highly relevant to Medicine, however you may want to consider taking a certificate for Physics SL(/HL) for Bioengineering. Like I say though, they are most likely going to consider you no matter what you choose if you do well. In the U.K., most colleges prefer you to take one essay-based subject as HL (e.g. social science, A1 lang.) as you have chosen, rather than lug a mix of BIO, CHE & MAT at HL. I would believe you taking the Mathematics II test to be fully adequate to show your mathematical skills, however the syllabi are not homologous. In terms of SAT II tests, however, I would definitely recommend taking more than just the sciences and mathematics, as you should try to show diversity. I would recommend taking the Writing SAT II test and perhaps Chinese SAT II (if you are good enough). Taking History/US History is extremely detailed and the chances of their syllabi matching yours is very slim; however, if you don't mind studying for the exam, it should be fine!

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.