Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What can you tell about a girl who enjoyed the Twlight books Watch

ReputationRep:
    ugh, pathetic? oh and by the way edward cullen CAN SUCK MY BAWLLZ
    pfftt, twilight was the most gratuitous thing ever to be made, along with harry potter, lord of the rings etc
    so yeah i think you should steer clear of this girl.

ReputationRep:
    She wants you to sneak into her room at night, and watch her sleep. :love:

In all seriousness, you can't judge her personality on a book she likes to read. You have to get to know her.
    I like the Twilight books, but I agree that they aren't very well written. Its just a bit of escapism.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not a fan of literature.

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Honestly, you can't judge an entire person on the fact that they've read a particularly popular set of books.

If you're that keen, then get to know her.
    I know. That's why I said in the OP that this will require huge generalisations and subjectivity. I'm not trying to judge her on her literary tastes. I'm just seeing if there's anything general that girls who read the books are more inclined to.

And I am doing. It's a bit complicated though because I'm close friends with her brother. Any information I can get before asking her directly can only be useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazilton)
    What an anticlimax!! I was waiting for a massive rant from you when you spotted this :p:
    Haha, sorry to disappoint you!

People can make all sorts of assumptions about us Twilighters, but there's no point me trying to justify one of my hobbies. I shouldn't have to justify it full stop. Therefore, I won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    Hahahaha. In what way do you mean "stretching"? I think it's marvellous. Even better than Roahl Dahl's "The Twits".

I am now of the opinion that you are a simpleton. (No offense).

ok, harry potter=ultimate escapism - incrediably easy read - no long words, no challenging issues, w/e

all i said was it isn't really thought provoking - makes you a better/different preson for reading it as good books (in my opinion) do.

roahl dahl CANNOT be compared to J.K Rowling, i mean ever. ever. just no way (and i appreciate it is on this point any rational argument breaks down)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    I also hate the way the twilight series has not one female character that could possibly survive without their love.

WTF

What's also a bit WTF is the loyal fans that are in love with this idea that they couldn't be a stable functioning person without a dominant man or whatever.

*I do know I'm reading too much into it. :p:

This has got to be the main reason as to why I cringe with the fact that I ever read the books in the first place :o:

I've been hearing stories that apparently parents are actually encouraging their daughters to read the series because it promotes celibacy ....
    Of course with the added message of being completely submissive to your "love" and without them should have no apparent intellect :eek3:

Stay far away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFG9l...eature=channel

That she's her. Basically. (You rage, you lose)
    :eek3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITnungFBKw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Haha, sorry to disappoint you!

People can make all sorts of assumptions about us Twilighters, but there's no point me trying to justify one of my hobbies. I shouldn't have to justify it full stop. Therefore, I won't.
    Regarding your sig, do they supply guys to dance with at this prom?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with someone who reads the books, they're only books.. but I can't stand the girls who fawn over Edward, because they're blatantly hypocrites; if someone behaved like that in real life they'd think he was creepy. Even Robert Pattinson agrees with me.

She's a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Regarding your sig, do they supply guys to dance with at this prom?
    LOL I wish!! Nah, there are some men in attendance. Not many, but a few. Plus, there's always Kellan Lutz to dance with :yes: Yummmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    Hey wait wat. The value of a book lies in how many "long words" it includes? I think there are plenty of thought provoking and challenging issues. When I said Harry Potter is only as deep as you are, I wasn't kidding, you know. It's not ultimate escapism. It paints a very real picture of people and I felt it said a lot to me about my life, which is, after all, what everyone looks for in a book or any art. I think Harry Potter could just as viably "make you a better/different" person as any book. What do you consider a good book then, punk?

Roahl Dahl is completely beautiful, but it doesn't have "long words". Profoundly beautiful. I just watched "Matilda" this morning and it was so delightful, so pure in it's joyousness and morality. I was kinda joking comparing them, I assumed you were a Level Over 9000 pseudo-intellectual.
    harry potter:

has a plot, has a beginning, middle and end, so qualifies as a good story - for someone in primary school,

however, no characterisation, no underlying meanings, splits the world into good people and bad people like a 5 year old does!

ok all of this improves as J.K Rowling got used to writing, the books do get better, but still i just mean that Harry Potter like the twilight series is an easy read, and ideal for escapism, whcih is what a lot of peolpe like about it. That doesn't make it rubbish.

as to good books its totally subjective - but since you asked, personally for escapism & humour i like terry pratchet, i like phillip pullman too, oh and because i'm a bit of a loser i actually find Gervase Phinn quite funny,

OMG just remembered best book i ever read, trying to think & epiphany style hit me, its called "Mr God, this is Anna" by a guy called Fynn, and despite the religiousyness its so beautiful and heart-wrenching and amazing, and brilliant. Like i don't know if its even being published anymore, i think its partly based on real life but i found it one of my Dad's mountains of junk and its just, well, anyway, nothing to do with topic.

yh, basically i like most books, isn't much i'd refuse to read, find classics a bit labourious, not so into chapters upon chapters of description, but still often good if persevere.

so yh, i'm not a 100% sure Harry Potter qualifies as art? but that too is entirely subjective so i can't really say that.

and btw i don't judge a book on how many long words it includes obviously, i just thought harry potter, particularly the first books in the series are conspicuous for their lack of imagination lingustically, e.g "Hermione said....harry said... ron said...harry said ... hermione shouted...ron said"

and i'm totally not a punk!

ReputationRep:
    Possibly quite pale, has a thing for tall pale guys

ReputationRep:
    girl's who read that abomination to literature
    are so sad and worship the guy who played in the film expect her room to resemble twilight HQ
    [I am probably get tonnes of neg rep
    keep it coming then]

ReputationRep:
    They are the type of books that take you away, they were my little escape =)
    Agreed that some people's obsessions are way out there, and the books are a little over rated. But they were a good read none the less..
    At some points they are pretty deep, I would hope it means she enjoys romance and relationships.. thats what I got from them at least.

ReputationRep:
    That she fails at life!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.