Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please recommend some artists watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    LOL. What an extremely stupid question/statement to make. I listen to whatever I take a liking to, I couldn't care less if it's "in" or not. Most of the music that's "in" these days is crappy repetitive hip-hop, which I hate. I'm presuming you're a metal fan?

I just listed some examples, doesn't mean it's the only music I listen to, I listed all the popular artists as examples so everyone would have an idea of the type of music I like.
    I mean, y'know, the sort of person who just listens to generic mass-pleasing garbage, probably engineered for the purposes of making money and controlling people.

ReputationRep:
    I get you I'm really into Fleet Foxes and The Leisure Society at the moment, slow relaxing stuff.
    Sigur Ros if you're looking for something a little bit more out there and weird.
    Also Owl City, if pretty electronica stuff is your thing. I thought I would hate it but I loved 'Rainbow Veins.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    I mean, y'know, the sort of person who just listens to generic mass-pleasing garbage, probably engineered for the purposes of making money and controlling people.
    That's totally your own opinion. What kind of music would you consider isn't mass-pleasing garbage?

The fact that some of it might be mass-pleasing is a good indication of its likeability. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExPenguin)
    I get you I'm really into Fleet Foxes and The Leisure Society at the moment, slow relaxing stuff.
    Sigur Ros if you're looking for something a little bit more out there and weird.
    Also Owl City, if pretty electronica stuff is your thing. I thought I would hate it but I loved 'Rainbow Veins.'
    I will check them out, thank you

ReputationRep:
    That's totally your own opinion. What kind of music would you consider isn't mass-pleasing garbage?

The fact that some of it might be mass-pleasing is a good indication of its likeability. :rolleyes:
    Except the masses also watch Big Brother, read The Sun or The Daily Fail and are just generally brainwashed fools.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going off on holiday soon and could do with some music for the journey. Yes, I'm one of those plonkers who likes pretty much ANY type of music, except for hardcore metal where all I can hear is screaming and the pointlessly non-rhythmic and incoherent bashing of teh drums.

For example I LOVE Matchbox Twenty, David Gray, The Script, Gavin Degraw, Stereophonics, Thirteen Senses, Jon McLaughlin etc etc

You clearly have never listened to any good metal bands.

ReputationRep:
    Everything but the Girl.
    Massive Attack.
    Portishead.

Try trip-hop

ReputationRep:
    michael jackson

ReputationRep:
    Empire of the Sun
    Friendly Fires
    Bloc Party
    Does it Offend You, Yeah?
    La Roux
    The Killers

ReputationRep:
    Except the masses also watch Big Brother, read The Sun or The Daily Fail and are just generally brainwashed fools.
    You're not making any sense. If you don't like Matchbox Twenty, Thirteen Senses or David Gray then that's your taste and opinion, I don't see how it has anything to do with pleasing the masses, and it certainly isn't garbage I also don't see how any of those artists rank so badly as to be compared to **** like Big Brother etc

You still haven't given me examples on what you think isn't mass-pleasing garbage?

ReputationRep:
    You're not making any sense. If you don't like Matchbox Twenty, Thirteen Senses or David Gray then that's your taste and opinion, I don't see how it has anything to do with pleasing the masses, and it certainly isn't garbage I also don't see how any of those artists rank so badly as to be compared to **** like Big Brother etc

You still haven't given me examples on what you think isn't mass-pleasing garbage?
    They're just generic and boring, overproduced and devoid of any meaning, purpose or redeeming qualities.

ReputationRep:
    They're just generic and boring, overproduced and devoid of any meaning, purpose or redeeming qualities.
    That's just your personal opinion. I don't really give a **** what you like or think. If you can't give me some examples on what you think good music is then your arguments are totally worthless. Either stop wasting my time or give me some damn names, eh? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger.)
    Everything but the Girl.
    Massive Attack.
    Portishead.

Try trip-hop
    I can not agree with you more. People really need to rediscover this stuff.

Lamb is another of my favourites for trip-hop.

ReputationRep:
    you should listen to prince

I didn't read the examples you gave or anything, I just think you should listen to him

ReputationRep:
    That's just your personal opinion. I don't really give a **** what you like or think. If you can't give me some examples on what you think good music is then your arguments are totally worthless. Either stop wasting my time or give me some damn names, eh? :lolwut:
    Aggressive, aren't we?

Very well: Dead Kennedys, System of a Down, Bad Religion, Iron Maiden. You probably won't have heard of most of the bands I like.

ReputationRep:
    currently i'm listening to florence and the machines new album as well as the enemy, ....florence and the machines album is okay .. i only like track 1,2 and 9 the rest is drizzel.
    others i would reccomend would be bat for lashes ,dresdon dolls and rayguns new album.

ReputationRep:
    La Roux, whole album is great no filler tracks.
    Florence + The Machine as previously stated though I agree with the above in that not all the tracks are that good, at least not in my opinion Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up), Dog Days Are Over & Cosmic Love are all good songs as well as her cover of You've Got The Love.
    Bat For Lashes
    The Sounds. They are a Swedish band but they sing in English. Their albums Living in America & Dying To Say This To You are very good, they've released a new album this year called Crossing The Rubicon though I haven't heard all of it yet I particularly like the track 'Dorchester Hotel'
    Gorillaz
    Ladyhawke

ReputationRep:
    Aggressive, aren't we?

Very well: Dead Kennedys, System of a Down, Bad Religion, Iron Maiden. You probably won't have heard of most of the bands I like.
    Lol, and you think heavy metal isn't devoid of coherence or meaning?

I knew all along your silly rant on this thread was due to my dismissal of heavy metal. :rolleyes: It's just a genre I don't like, it makes my ears bleed. I don't see why you care about that so much as to ridicule my taste and artists mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, and you think heavy metal isn't devoid of coherence or meaning?

I knew all along your silly rant on this thread was due to my dismissal of heavy metal. :rolleyes: It's just a genre I don't like, it makes my ears bleed. I don't see why you care about that so much as to ridicule my taste and artists mentioned.
    Actually several of those bands were punk. Only one was what you might call "heavy metal".

ReputationRep:
    In other words, you don't really like music, you just listen to whatever is "in"?
    And everything you listen to has to be ''not in'', I presume?

Back to the question, here are some artists (some are a bit predictable but they're pretty good for travelling!)

Paolo Nutini
    Jack Johnson
    Joseph Arthur
    Air Traffic
    Badly Drawn Boy
    Bon Iver
    Bedouin Soundclash
    The Coral
    Damien Rice
    Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly
    Groove Armada's more chill-out stuff (hands of time, my friend etc..)
    Jeff Buckley
    Jose Gonzalez
    Laura Marling
    RHCP
    Sebastien Tellier

I've been on a few long travels lately myself and this is pretty much my playlist :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.