Turn on thread page Beta

Please recommend some artists watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.last.fm/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacinta)
    And everything you listen to has to be ''not in'', I presume?

Back to the question, here are some artists (some are a bit predictable but they're pretty good for travelling!)

Paolo Nutini
    Jack Johnson
    Joseph Arthur
    Air Traffic
    Badly Drawn Boy
    Bon Iver
    Bedouin Soundclash
    The Coral
    Damien Rice
    Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly
    Groove Armada's more chill-out stuff (hands of time, my friend etc..)
    Jeff Buckley
    Jose Gonzalez
    Laura Marling
    RHCP
    Sebastien Tellier

I've been on a few long travels lately myself and this is pretty much my playlist :P
    I just prefer music created via, well, creativity rather than as a product.

ReputationRep:
    mia, yeah yeah yeahs (to name some which hasnt been mentioned before, i think)
    otherwise the killers, oasis, the strokes, the sounds ... okay there are too many ...^^

ReputationRep:
    just a few random suggestions: the fray, paramore, red jumpsuit apparatus, augustana, the killers, alkaline trio, automatic loveletter, breaking benjamin, blink 182, cute is what we aim for,go audio, fallout boy, maroon 5, mcr, panic! at the disco, the kooks.

hope this helps :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    I agree, but why the hell did you post if your tastes differ so much from the OP?

ReputationRep:
    The Game. download his albums, 'the documentary', 'doctors advocate', 'LAX'. And Ice Cubes album 'Raw Footage'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacinta)
    I agree, but why the hell did you post if your tastes differ so much from the OP?

ReputationRep:
    The Polyamorous Affair is a band i've recently taken a liking to, Ladytron, the Cure, Depeche Mode, 80's Matchbox B-line disaster, The Dresden Dolls, Howling Bells, Empire of the Sun is the more mainstream stuff I can think of.

I doubt you'd like any of the other stuff I listen to.

ReputationRep:
    Check out:

Mr.Hudson (Kanye west scouted this guy from Birmingham lol)

Other names to mention:

Daniel Merriweather

Calvin Harris

Common bands:
    Snow Patrol
    RHCP
    Blur
    Oasis

ReputationRep:
    Foals,
    Florence and The Machine,
    Starsailor,
    Hard-Fi,
    The Automatic.

Ah there's loads!

:thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to look if someone else has already suggested my suggestions haha.

Bombay Bicycle Club
    City and Colour
    Cage the Elephant
    John Mayer ('Daughters' is probably the nicest song I have heard in aaaaaages)
    Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly (Very acoustic guitar-y. Quite repetitive and a bit strange sometimes but lovely nonetheless)
    Matt Nathanson (I like 'Come on Get Higher' and 'Hold Me' especially)
    Snow Patrol

ReputationRep:
    Haha and metal and punk is via creativity? Abstract nonsense more like IMO. I don't see how any music should be regarded as a "product" just because you don't like it, or just because it's popular. Your whole argument is flawed beyond comprehension. Seems to me you're just a disgruntled ignorant who wants to rant and throw around accusations and stupidly false statements every time someone disagrees with your music taste.

If it makes you feel rather unique and special, having such a narrow and defined taste, then I do understand. Everyone's got to get their self-love out of somewhere, right?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, lots of new names I'm dying to try out

ReputationRep:
    O
    A
    S
    I
    S

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky girls :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cannyeinstein)
    you like similar stuff to me

florence and the machine
    stornoway (seriously recommend - listen to single 'zorbing')
    muse
    maximo park
    vampire weekend
    arcade fire
    and then some old stuff - Kinks and New Order + Depeche Mode etc
    have fun on hols...
    I'm at uni with Oli from Stornoway, nicest guy ever! Dead impressed to see his band being recommended on TSR (and rightly so :yes:). Did you see them play at a festival?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    Lol, and you think heavy metal isn't devoid of coherence or meaning?

I knew all along your silly rant on this thread was due to my dismissal of heavy metal. :rolleyes: It's just a genre I don't like, it makes my ears bleed. I don't see why you care about that so much as to ridicule my taste and artists mentioned.
    Some metal is very meaningful, I admit most of what you've been exposed to probably isnt. It has the same problem as everyting else of the popular stuff being garbage. If you have a spare moment at any point check out Tool or Opeth or something like that (might want to steer clear of Opeth if you really can't take teh growls). Possibly even 'Light of Day, Day of Darkness' by Green Carnation. Failing that everyone I've ever shown it likes 'Traced in Air' by Cynic.

Anyway, I digress.

I third the Portishead/Massive Attack/ Everything But The Girl mentions from earlier.

Also:

Tori Amos
    Natalie Merchant
    Porcupine Tree (get 'In Absentia' its amazing)
    Aphex Twin
    A Perfect Circle
    Kyuss
    Fu Manchu
    Faith No More.

Are the lighter sides of what I've been listening to recently.

ReputationRep:
    Haha and metal and punk is via creativity? Abstract nonsense more like IMO. I don't see how any music should be regarded as a "product" just because you don't like it, or just because it's popular. Your whole argument is flawed beyond comprehension. Seems to me you're just a disgruntled ignorant who wants to rant and throw around accusations and stupidly false statements every time someone disagrees with your music taste.

If it makes you feel rather unique and special, having such a narrow and defined taste, then I do understand. Everyone's got to get their self-love out of somewhere, right?
    Wow, you're not the smartest, are you? You must understand the difference between over-produced, major record-label puppets and people who actually like and create their own music, right?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're not the smartest, are you? You must understand the difference between over-produced, major record-label puppets and people who actually like and create their own music, right?
    This thread isn't about how the music is created, or where it's sourced from. I like the artists and music I listed because I like the music, and how it sounds, it's beautiful and rhythmic to me; don't you understand? I really couldn't give a **** about the mentality of the artists when the music was created, it's all nonsense and irrelevant to me. I don't see why I should force a change in my music taste because because of such silly sentiments as these.

I do get what you're saying about the record label puppets, but it's more associated with the new crappy hip-hop artists more than anything else. I actually like David Grays voice, and I like his soothing songs, I don't care how mass-pleasing his music is, because I'm not one of the sheep who follows everyone else. If you disagree then it's totally okay, just don't go around blaming me for stupid irrelevant things, just because your taste is different.

ReputationRep:
    This thread isn't about how the music is created, or where it's sourced from. I like the artists and music I listed because I like the music, and how it sounds, it's beautiful and rhythmic to me; don't you understand? I really couldn't give a **** about the mentality of the artists when the music was created, it's all nonsense and irrelevant to me. I don't see why I should force a change in my music taste because because of such silly sentiments as these.

I do get what you're saying about the record label puppets, but it's more associated with the new crappy hip-hop artists more than anything else. I actually like David Grays voice, and I like his soothing songs, I don't care how mass-pleasing his music is, because I'm not one of the sheep who follows everyone else. If you disagree then it's totally okay, just don't go around blaming me for stupid irrelevant things, just because your taste is different.
    But it's designed for you to like it. It's designed to be pleasing... think of it as fast-food: packed full of preservatives and sugars to make it taste nice but honestly, it's just damaging you in the long run.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.