Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please recommend some artists Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    But it's designed for you to like it. It's designed to be pleasing... think of it as fast-food: packed full of preservatives and sugars to make it taste nice but honestly, it's just damaging you in the long run.

Surely all music is designed to be pleasing to someone?

ReputationRep:
    Gaslight Anthem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca_20)
    I'm at uni with Oli from Stornoway, nicest guy ever! Dead impressed to see his band being recommended on TSR (and rightly so :yes:). Did you see them play at a festival?
    Went to see them at the luminaire in london a few weeks ago.

Seriously good stuff, and they all seem like really good guys
    Have a feeling they're going to do good things :yes:

ReputationRep:
    But it's designed for you to like it. It's designed to be pleasing... think of it as fast-food: packed full of preservatives and sugars to make it taste nice but honestly, it's just damaging you in the long run.
    :rofl: And you're saying I should like music like metal and punk because it's designed out of pure creativity, even though I don't like it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    :rofl: And you're saying I should like music like metal and punk because it's designed out of pure creativity, even though I don't like it?
    I'm sure you've not listened to enough metal or punk to venture an informed opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you've not listened to enough metal or punk to venture an informed opinion.
    Rest assured I've listened to enough of it, and I still despise it just as much. Is it so hard to accept that your taste isn't necessary the 'right' one to have? It's just an opinion.

If you can't accept that, it's your problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    Rest assured I've listened to enough of it, and I still despise it just as much. Is it so hard to accept that your taste isn't necessary the 'right' one to have? It's just an opinion.

If you can't accept that, it's your problem.
    I accept that everyone has an opinion, it's just... it doesn't always belong to that person.

ReputationRep:
    I accept that everyone has an opinion, it's just... it doesn't always belong to that person.
    Haha, you don't give up do you? :rofl:

Basic summary of this argument:

Me: I don't like Metal, it sounds like crap to me.
    You: You don't like music then, you like products
    Me: WTF, why do you say that
    You: You like the music because it sounds good to you, not because it's made via creativity
    Me: So what? Isn't that what music is about?
    You: No, it's about feeling sorry for the ****** bands who can't create music for **** and then make their fans flog it off to others as unique and creative because they actually 'like their music'
    Me: lolz, why should I like music if I doesn't sound good to me?
    You: Because it's not right
    Me: lolwut

In all honestly, I feel more sorry for you. It must be quite difficult having to submit into listening to such a narrow and defined genre of music, because of some stupid belief that it's the right thing to do, even though it doesn't even sound that good.

Then again, I guess it's just the typical defined mentality of punk and metal fans. I'd rather keep my choices broad, thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.