Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading through previous posts about student gym membership at various facilities in Sheffield such as Greens and S10 etc.

I just wanted to let people know that a new Gym group opened up last year in 2008 owned by sheffield utd, they have a facility in crookes opposite tapton halls of residence where i have been a member for some time now.

The membership there for students in only £21, and i can honestly say there are no strings attached, no peak times and you go and use it basically whenever they are open. You sign the contract which ties you in for 3 months and then it just rolls on from there... admin fee is only £15 one off too but they will sometimes wave that for you depending on the offers they have on.

Anyway just thought it was worth a mention.....

ReputationRep:
    £21 a month...if so...still isn't cheaper then the hallam uni gym

ReputationRep:
    very true.... i was a member at hallam gym last year, and never got to train as much as i wanted to, could never get a machine n complete the programme i wanted to after 5pm n that lasted until about 8/9ish!

It was only a suggestion because being here 3 years i know from experience how busy the uni gyms get and even though yes they are very cheap sometimes if u want to see results its worth paying that little bit more....

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want from your gym - Fitness Unlimited operates at 4 centres in Sheffield: Ponds Forge (City Centre), Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Don Valley Stadium and Concord Sports Centre.

The student membership is £25.50 a month, with no joining fee. It might be a bit more than the uni gyms, but you get access to the following at anytime during opening hours:

Gyms
    Swimming Pools
    Fitness Classes
    Athletics Track
    Running Clubs
    Spa and Sauna
    Free induction and ongoing support.

Just another option to consider - the website is www.fitnessunlimited.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_mosley)
    It depends on what you want from your gym - Fitness Unlimited operates at 4 centres in Sheffield: Ponds Forge (City Centre), Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Don Valley Stadium and Concord Sports Centre.

The student membership is £25.50 a month, with no joining fee. It might be a bit more than the uni gyms, but you get access to the following at anytime during opening hours:

Gyms
    Swimming Pools
    Fitness Classes
    Athletics Track
    Running Clubs
    Spa and Sauna

This is what I do and I'm from Sheffield. If you arent you can freeze the membership for the times when you arent in Sheffield. Its a really good gym, I go to Ponds Forge, the staff are really friendly, theres also lots of free machinery as its quite a big gym and its really clean and I would recommened it. Its more expensive than the Bramall Lane one but its worth it in my eyes

ReputationRep:
    Or there is PureGym on Granville Square, only £12.99 a month at the moment and it's right good. Only opened a couple of months ago and it's a 2 minute walk from Hallam, or 10 minutes on the bus from Sheff Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickyP)
    Or there is PureGym on Granville Square, only £12.99 a month at the moment and it's right good. Only opened a couple of months ago and it's a 2 minute walk from Hallam, or 10 minutes on the bus from Sheff Uni.
    Wow, I'd never know this if it werent for you. Its pretty amazing after looking at their website. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyboy03)
    Wow, I'd never know this if it werent for you. Its pretty amazing after looking at their website. Cheers!
    No worries! It only opened a couple of months ago and it's not been too busy, I hope too many students don't find out about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickyP)
    Nice one, I'm going to check that out. It claims no contract, so you can literally pay for 1 month and have no obligation to continue it if for example it's end of term?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for early membership of S10, peak time, £210 for the year, seems pretty reasonable.
    Less than £20 a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    I've applied for early membership of S10, peak time, £210 for the year, seems pretty reasonable.
    Less than £20 a month.
    I considered this but seeing as I'll only be in Sheffield for around 30 weeks, I'm going to look to pay for whatever gym I use monthly.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Pure Gym might seem like it's good value, but according to people that I know it isn't all that good and they don't like the location.

There is always the gym at Sheffield United in Shirecliffe that isn't that expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WithFlyingColours)
    Nice one, I'm going to check that out. It claims no contract, so you can literally pay for 1 month and have no obligation to continue it if for example it's end of term?
    Yeah that's right. I paid for a full year at S10 gym the other year and only used it twice, so that's one of the main reasons I joined Pure Gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaron1867)
    I think the Pure Gym might seem like it's good value, but according to people that I know it isn't all that good and they don't like the location.

There is always the gym at Sheffield United in Shirecliffe that isn't that expensive.
    Sheffield United Gym is shutting down because of Pure Gym apparently. And the only downside to Pure Gym is that there is no pool really, but you can't complain for the price.

ReputationRep:
    The Sheffield United gym aym at Shirecliffe? I can't see it shutting down when it's not near Pure Gym and the players probably use the gym...

Pure Gym might be cheap, but there must be some downfalls to it for the price. I would guess at mediocre facilities or too busy because of the cheapness.

ReputationRep:
    Student off peak membership now only £16.99 at greens health and fitness. NO LONG CONTRACT! Only 50 places available, call kim on 01142859615 for details tomorrow from 12 x

ReputationRep:
    Any of these gyms have proper squat, deadlift, bench facilities?

not smith machines FYI, proper equipment that has 20KG barbells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)

Pure gym now has two squat racks. One with the 20kg bar and one with the women's 15kg bar. The gym's decent for the price and quite empty during off peak times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_mosley)

Gyms
    Swimming Pools
    Fitness Classes
    Athletics Track
    Running Clubs
    Spa and Sauna

Does it get packed in there? I'm hopefully going to Sheffield next year and I want to keep up a good workout plan. I'm not keen on having to fight my way for a machine or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)

Hallam Strength and Conditioning suite has over 10 racks with enough olympic bars to make anyone happy. But you have to go to Hallam and be on a sports team to be a member

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.