Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In a bit of a pickle as to what to do now. Recently graduated with a First Class Honours in History and Politics and want to pursue a career as a diplomat. As part of my degree i learnt a foreign language and would love to be stationed in that country if i become a diplomat.

My point of view:

Although i want to be a diplomat i dont feel like i have enough life experience, confidence, self-esteem and the like. i feel like a kid in an adult world, a bit out of my depth. i always get put off when i look at what recruiters want - eg. excellent verbal communication, proven track record of dealing with customers, etc, etc - and never think i would be any good.

My solution is to go on a gap year (doesn't necessarily have to be a year), ideally to the country whose language ive been learning.
    the idea being i would go abroad, improve my language, do some volunteering/teach english/find an internship/ that kinda thing. hopefully i can build up my confidence, esteem, general life skills etc. sort of discover myself and become a better person as it were. that way when i do apply to become a civil servant i will be a much stronger candidate than i am right now

Parent's point of view: typical Asian parents, wants me to get a job straight away, generally fed up with me just bumming at home. can't understand why i havent applied for a single job (due to lack of confidence). view a gap year as a waste of time and money, "gallivanting off"

So what should i do? Should i go and travel and apply to become a diplomat next year? Should i stay here and apply now knowing full well i would probably make a pretty weak candidate?

More importantly how would recruiters view someone who goes off on a gap year? Will it look bad or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakartan)
    In a bit of a pickle as to what to do now. Recently graduated with a First Class Honours in History and Politics and want to pursue a career as a diplomat. As part of my degree i learnt a foreign language and would love to be stationed in that country if i become a diplomat.

My point of view:

Although i want to be a diplomat i dont feel like i have enough life experience, confidence, self-esteem and the like. i feel like a kid in an adult world, a bit out of my depth. i always get put off when i look at what recruiters want - eg. excellent verbal communication, proven track record of dealing with customers, etc, etc - and never think i would be any good.

My solution is to go on a gap year (doesn't necessarily have to be a year), ideally to the country whose language ive been learning.
    the idea being i would go abroad, improve my language, do some volunteering/teach english/find an internship/ that kinda thing. hopefully i can build up my confidence, esteem, general life skills etc. sort of discover myself and become a better person as it were. that way when i do apply to become a civil servant i will be a much stronger candidate than i am right now

Parent's point of view: typical Asian parents, wants me to get a job straight away, generally fed up with me just bumming at home. can't understand why i havent applied for a single job (due to lack of confidence). view a gap year as a waste of time and money, "gallivanting off"

So what should i do? Should i go and travel and apply to become a diplomat next year? Should i stay here and apply now knowing full well i would probably make a pretty weak candidate?

More importantly how would recruiters view someone who goes off on a gap year? Will it look bad or not?
    i say go for that gap year - tis your life and you have very valid reasons for going and what sounds like a plan for your gap year

you know what you want to do which is a huge advantage, go for it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Travel.

It's probably the last time you have a lot of time on your hands to travel, and it looks good on a CV. If you want to be a diplomat that is stationed abroad then spending time in other countries to learn other cultures has obvious advantages.

Besides, with the job market as it is at the moment you might as well travel if you can afford to. You have all your life to work, applying to be a diplomat one year later isn't a setback at all.

ReputationRep:
    You will NEVER be able to take an year off again, and if you do, only because you are dying. Which is not as fun.

DO IT.

ReputationRep:
    i will admit that ive had this idea of travelling for a long time and it hasnt disappeared. if anything its gone stronger. but will a gap year really do anything for me though? will it really make me more confident, happier, a better person, etc? because uni certainly didn't...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't really see anything wrong with 'gallivanting'! Why parents do not want their children to be happy and free for a bit longer until they start working for what will probably be 40 years (or more by the time we hit pension age!) I will never understand...

Anyway, the bottom line is if you are paying for it then they have absolutely no say in whether you go or not. Likely they will come round once they see you're serious and that you actually hope to gain something from it that will help you in your future life. I'd be pretty shocked if, when you actually jet off, they haven't put aside any personal doubts to at least say 'have a good trip son' and give you a hug. Personally, I can't see any negative effect to your life if you go travelling and you'll always regret it if you don't go, so bite the bullet and start making some plans!

ReputationRep:
    DO WHAT YOU WANT

I'm tired of answering this question. Your an adult, you don't need your parents to run your life anymore. It's entirely up to you what you do with your time.

ReputationRep:
    mate, ive just had a similar argument with my parents. basically im working for someone thats employed me as a result of the corporate relationship he has with my mum. i really ******* hate the ******* job. im gonna jack it in as of next tueday. All because he cant give me the time off work that i want to see some friends for a few days (as other workers have already booked the time off). but i reallllly wanna go, so **** it, he only had 2 more weeks worth of work left for me anyway. Lesson: dont ever work with someone who has connections with fam ARGGGGGHHHH.

Do what feels right/you desire bud.. you need to make the decision yourself and shouldnt really consider how your parents feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    DO WHAT YOU WANT

I'm tired of answering this question. Your an adult, you don't need your parents to run your life anymore. It's entirely up to you what you do with your time.
    Fantastic! That made me smile

ReputationRep:

My point of view:

Hi,

Try www.ididinternabroad.com, i just got my business internship in China through them, and i noticed they have just recently advertised a campaigning position in politics in USA, they also do China and Brazil, thats should solve both problems go travelling and do an internship.
    Hope this helps you =)

ReputationRep:
    Tell them, there arent many jobs open right now due to the economy. So you want to improve your skills to get you much better jobs in the future. Congrats on getting a 1st in your degree

ReputationRep:
    how are you going to fund your gap year?
    Do you have a part time job/job at the moment?

It seems like quite a good idea - however i can see your parents point of view. Couldnt you just do some voluntary work experience somewhere here? Surely this would be more beneficial than a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    how are you going to fund your gap year?
    Do you have a part time job/job at the moment?
    By living at home and being a bit of a miser i've saved up a decent amount from maintenance loans/grants. (even if I were to repay the loans straight away i still have enough). And i was hoping to do one of them Teach English/or something along those lines where i can earn and pay my own ways whilst im travelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Congrats on getting a 1st in your degree
    Thank you very much Best of luck with your degree

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your advice. Seems prety unanimous. Travelling it is. I guess my parents are more peed off that I've been bumming at home doing nothing. I need to start being an adult and start taking responsibility for my own life. They'll soon come around and see travelling the way i see it.

ReputationRep:
    By living at home and being a bit of a miser i've saved up a decent amount from maintenance loans/grants. (even if I were to repay the loans straight away i still have enough). And i was hoping to do one of them Teach English/or something along those lines where i can earn and pay my own ways whilst im travelling
    well in that case id say go for it if you are sure its the best thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    well in that case id say go for it if you are sure its the best thing to do.
    i'm not 100% sure it is the best thing to do but i guess a part of growing up is making my own decisions and taking responsibility for whatever consequences may occur because of them.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not 100% sure it is the best thing to do but i guess a part of growing up is making my own decisions and taking responsibility for whatever consequences may occur because of them.
    good luck whatever

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.