Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey all,

Anon because because xD

Anyway, I'm one of those people who's quite happy to either drink with friends in a pub, go clubbing - and drink at home alone. I'm not an alcoholic, I drink 4 - 6 times a month, though granted when I do drink I do drink quite a lot. I'm aware this "binge drinking" is "unhealthy", but to be honest, I'm 18 - and I'm just living it up while I still can, once I get some real responsibilties, there will be no continuation as I don't have an addictive personality and I certainly won't drink such large quantities. I can choose not to drink at any given moment, and have done in the past so this is of little concern.

I don't drink alone because I'm some kind of lonely "social failure" or whatever as some may assume, I have plenty of good, close friends. When i drink alone, I do enjoy it - just as much as when I go out with friends, though often more so. It's just nice to have some space to yourself, to reflect and to see your own typically mundane life with a bit more curiosity. Also, if you listen to your favorite music with headphones in a calm environment drunk, you genuinely do appreciate it more - much more so than in a sweaty and loud club (not like they often play good music anyway).

I also have a little clique of online only friends who I play multiplayer video games on Steam like CS and L4D etc, and I chat to them - so that's not entirely drinking alone. Some of them are drinking too ^^.

Now my sessions of drinking alone are not regular, I don't have the time nor would I do so often if I did, once a month usually, no more than twice. I don't see this as a problem but society teaches me that it is wrong. I don't care, I will carry on anyway - but I'm just wondering what the concensus on this fourm is (see poll).

Feel free to comment and post your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm just wondering what the concensus on this fourm is (see poll).
    You can't post polls as anon

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything inherently wrong in drinking alone, indeed I do it myslef when I'm havig a nightcap.

ReputationRep:
    If you get drunk alone. I would say that is a little strange, and seems like the top of a slippery slope. I see no problem drinking alone, I love the taste of beer, I love the taste of rum. I enjoy having a drink, until maybe I get a bit of a buzz but certainly not to the point of drunkeness or even being tipsy.
    Its no different to perhaps having a cigarette by yourself imo. As long as you actually enjoy the taste - otherwise I suppose you need to question why you are drinking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.