Turn on thread page Beta

POLL: Attitudes to Drinking Alone watch

• View Poll Results: Attitudes to solitary drinking
    I drink alone, I enjoy it and treat it as a leisure activity.
    27.19%
    I drink alone when stressed / depressed / emotional.
    10.60%
    No oppinion, people can do as they please (I drink alone)
    9.22%
    No oppinion, people can do as they please (I don't drink alone)
    22.58%
    Drinking alone is a bad sign
    18.43%
    I would never drink alone, and would advise friends not to if I knew they did
    10.14%
    Other (post comment)
    1.84%

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Anyway, I'm one of those people who's quite happy to either drink with friends in a pub, go clubbing - and drink at home alone. I'm not an alcoholic, I drink 4 - 6 times a month, though granted when I do drink I do drink quite a lot. I'm aware this "binge drinking" is "unhealthy", but to be honest, I'm 18 - and I'm just living it up while I still can, once I get some real responsibilties, there will be no continuation as I don't have an addictive personality and I certainly won't drink such large quantities. I can choose not to drink at any given moment, and have done in the past so this is of little concern.

I don't drink alone because I'm some kind of lonely "social failure" or whatever as some may assume, I have plenty of good, close friends. When i drink alone, I do enjoy it - just as much as when I go out with friends, though often more so. It's just nice to have some space to yourself, to reflect and to see your own typically mundane life with a bit more curiosity. Also, if you listen to your favorite music with headphones in a calm environment drunk, you genuinely do appreciate it more - much more so than in a sweaty and loud club (not like they often play good music anyway).

I also have a little clique of online only friends who I play multiplayer video games on Steam like CS: S and L4D etc, and I chat to them - so that's not entirely drinking alone. Some of them are drinking too ^^.

Now my sessions of drinking alone are not regular, I don't have the time nor would I do so often if I did, once a month usually, no more than twice. I don't see this as a problem but society teaches me that it is wrong. I don't care, I will carry on anyway - but I'm just wondering what the concensus on this fourm is (see poll).

Feel free to comment and post your experiences.

EDIT:
    I am talking to the point of actually being drunk. Think of a good night out, the same quanity of alcohol - not the "odd glass of wine".

ReputationRep:
    Anon fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    No poll

+ anon fail
    stfu with your one sentence replies, lol at you calling people trolls, when you got 11 warnings

ReputationRep:
    No poll

+ anon fail
    Actually no, I decided not to post annon as I'm not ashamed, and to do so would be hypocritical.

Also, I was configuring the poll options when you posted that.

Comment fail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Anon fail
    Where did the OP say he wanted to remain Anon? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink alone, people can do what they like.
    If it was my friend however, I would inquire as to how much they are drinking and maybe advise them to drink less if it's way too much, and find a healthier substitute. I'd call them up more often to hang out. If I thought they were drowning their sorrows, I would ask what's wrong and try to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Where did the OP say he wanted to remain Anon? :confused:
    He edited it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=981575

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Anon fail
    http://www.care-police.com/care.jpg

ReputationRep:
    He edited it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=981575
    again,

http://www.care-police.com/care.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I drink approximately five/six times a year, without getting drunk at all. Of these, I'd say one or two times tend to be at local pubs/bars for friends' birthdays - the other times are at home.
    When I'm at home, I'm either drinking with my flatmate (relaxed drinking for, say, Christmas) or indulging on my own (nothing like a hot bath with a cold alcoholic drink and some chocolate!). Drinking is a treat to me on those occasions, and there's nothing in my eyes wrong with treating yourself whilst alone; but I'd have a very different opinion if someone got drunk on their own, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with a few drinks at home alone to chill out

ReputationRep:
    I drink when I want to drink, regardless of where I am. Unless its someplace I can't.

But sure, I drink at home by myself sometimes. A glass of wine before bed, or during a long bath.... yes please.

ReputationRep:
    I often have a glass of wine with dinner or watching the tv, i did it last night actually, had a couple of cold beers while watching a movie because it was my night off. I never drink excessively, and probably drink less when i'm alone than if i'm with friends. If i'm alone it's usually just one or two glasses of wine or bottles of beer. I don;t think there's anything wrong with people doing that. If i was sitting alone drinking bottles of whiskey then that's different!

ReputationRep:
    i sometimes have the odd drink alone but then i drink because i like it not to be "cool" and only drink with friends

its like social smokers. i never understand why they only smoke when with friends just for appearance

ReputationRep:
    Just so everyone knows, I am talking a full drinking session, not the "odd glass of wine" - the same quanity as a good night out.

ReputationRep:
    I never drink alone or at home with parents. The only times when I drink are if I'm in a pub/club or at a friend's house.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a beer or two. Getting ****** on your own is probably a bit worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I never drink alone, I don't enjoy the taste of alcohol, i only drink it when i'm going out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    Getting ****** on your own is probably a bit worrying.
    Why though? Please elaborate, there are plenty of these statments made here there and everywhere but never much substance to back it up. Why is it "worring" for a person to enjoy the arbitrary effect of alcohol when there aren't others around? Surely that makes the ones who only get drunk with others "a bit strange" as they clearly don't appreciate the effect as much as the social value. Are they just getting drunk for other people?

(Original post by tired yet?)
    I don't enjoy the taste of alcohol, i only drink it when i'm going out.
    You see, I find this significantly more "unusual"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    Why though? Please elaborate, there are plenty of these statments made here there and everywhere but never much substance to back it up. Why is it "worring" for a person to enjoy the arbitrary effect of alcohol when there aren't others around? Surely that makes the ones who only get drunk with others "a bit strange" as they clearly don't appreciate the effect as much as the social value. Are they just getting drunk for other people?
    Well I don't personally like to get completely wasted these days even when I'm out with friends. But if it happens then it's usually at a good event where I've been drinking a lot and maybe I'm falling over etc but there are people around to help or laugh at me, which makes it alright.

My preferred state is to be mildly tipsy, and this is sometimes nice on my own to relax a bit, still usually better with friends. I wouldn't want to get past this point on my own because it just wouldn't be enjoyable. You would probably just want to go to bed at some point but then probably feel sick with no one around. No, thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.