Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: Attitudes to Drinking Alone Watch

• View Poll Results: Attitudes to solitary drinking
    I drink alone, I enjoy it and treat it as a leisure activity.
    27.31%
    I drink alone when stressed / depressed / emotional.
    10.19%
    No oppinion, people can do as they please (I drink alone)
    9.26%
    No oppinion, people can do as they please (I don't drink alone)
    22.69%
    Drinking alone is a bad sign
    18.52%
    I would never drink alone, and would advise friends not to if I knew they did
    10.19%
    Other (post comment)
    1.85%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I pity those who find their self so boring that they can't even tolerate their own company.
    Here here

ReputationRep:
    I drink alone, whats wrong with a glass of wine with dinner, or after a long day at work?

ReputationRep:
    Drinking alone is good :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I pity those who find their self so boring that they can't even tolerate their own company.
    When I'm sober, I'll happily spend hours contemplating random stuff, drinking a glass of wine, making myself a nice meal, watching a movie alone or reading a book.
    The OP was talking about getting really drunk, and if I am going to drink in excess, I want to be dancing, talking, being with friends, joking, and having a laugh. Downing shots on my own would actually depress me, I'd rather wander to a local pub and curl up be the fire with a pint of cider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    It's certainly not abnormal. If you're waking up and pouring wine on your cornflakes then you have a problem.
    Maybe its just me but i don't see why someone would want to get drunk by themselves..i understand why you would drink alcohol on your own..but feel that getting wasted is something that you do with others - thats just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    Bit sad really, but I guess people think of alcohol in different ways, I think of it as more of a sociable activity

Getting drunk alone makes me think - alcoholic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I drink alone, whats wrong with a glass of wine with dinner, or after a long day at work?
    The OP specifically said it wasn't just about 'a glass of wine or two', he meant getting drunk. :hmmm:
    :love: btw :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)
    Maybe its just me but i don't see why someone would want to get drunk by themselves..i understand why you would drink alcohol on your own..but feel that getting wasted is something that you do with others - thats just my opinion though.
    Well, I don't get 'wasted' at all. I don't think anyone here is saying they do that by themselves. But I can't see that there's a problem with getting a bit pissed by yourself now and then. It doesn't specifically have to be a 'social' drug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    Bit sad really, but I guess people think of alcohol in different ways, I think of it as more of a sociable activity

Getting drunk alone makes me think - alcoholic!
    Nah, objectively - alcohol is a drug. You either take it or you don't. To what degree is a different matter entirely.

Suffice to say, it's ultimately no more a social activity than "social moderate sky diving".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    The OP specifically said it wasn't just about 'a glass of wine or two', he meant getting drunk. :hmmm:
    :love: btw :hugs:
    oh right...well you and i both know after one glass of wine im fairly tipsy anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    Nah, objectively - alcohol is a drug. You either take it or you don't. To what degree is a different matter entirely.

Suffice to say, it's ultimately no more a social activity than "social moderate sky diving".
    I don't agree, someone may live alone and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening with their meal, nothing wrong with that, sounds rather classy. However, getting drunk alone, there's an issue!

ReputationRep:
    However, getting drunk alone, there's an issue!
    Please substantiate your claim, it's not enough to simply assert in a discussion.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy putting on some music and having a beer when I am alone

ReputationRep:
    how does it feel to be drunk alone ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    Please substantiate your claim, it's not enough to simply assert in a discussion.
    Wait what !?
    A minute ago you were saying "alcohol is a drug, drinking any quantity alone isn't right"
    Now, you are saying I need to prove that getting drunk alone would hint there is a problem?

RIGHT well, alcoholics get drunk alone, getting drunk is a way of escaping the real world.. Seriously, why else would you get drunk alone?
    I know it sounds immature but getting drunk with others is enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Wait what !?
    A minute ago you were saying "alcohol is a drug, drinking any quantity alone isn't right"
    Now, you are saying I need to prove that getting drunk alone would hint there is a problem?

RIGHT well, alcoholics get drunk alone, getting drunk is a way of escaping the real world.. Seriously, why else would you get drunk alone?
    What are you on about, I never said that. Are you creating a straw-man argument here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Please do not mis-represent what i said - There is no neccesary connotation that taking a drug responsibly and in a leisurely sense is a negative thing. Please quote me properly next time -

And no, alcoholics do not necessarily get drunk alone, please check your dictionary. Alcoholics are dependent either physically or mentally, to the point of negative impact on their life, career and social interactions. I have neither reported or experienced such conditions, I am not an alcoholic - and your rhetoric only further convinces me of how mislead and sheepish society actually is.

ReputationRep:
    Wait what !?

why do u think people get drunk on weekends, ? its to escape the stressful world of work/college/uni as well, same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    why do u think people get drunk on weekends, ? its to escape the stressful world of work/college/uni as well, same thing
    I genuinely find it a hell of a lot more unusual for people who don't really enjoy or even like the taste of alcohol to go out and get wasted with friends. Now that IS pretty odd. What? They getting drunk for other people?

Sounds like an self imposed obligation based on insecurity to me...

We all know alcohol is a poison, but so is the air you breathe nowadays. Its a quintessential double standard society harbors, one of far too many. Besides, I enjoy the effect, I like the taste of a lot of alcohol (Captain Morgans Black Label and Coke mmmmm) and I'm quite happy to drink with others and alone. Atleast I have a spine to stand with.

ReputationRep:
    Begging the question.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the reponses are pretty knee jerk, I yearn for a coherent argument against solitary drinking that I could consider.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.