Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

POLL: Attitudes to Drinking Alone watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Attitudes to solitary drinking
    I drink alone, I enjoy it and treat it as a leisure activity.
    27.31%
    I drink alone when stressed / depressed / emotional.
    10.19%
    No oppinion, people can do as they please (I drink alone)
    9.26%
    No oppinion, people can do as they please (I don't drink alone)
    22.69%
    Drinking alone is a bad sign
    18.52%
    I would never drink alone, and would advise friends not to if I knew they did
    10.19%
    Other (post comment)
    1.85%

ReputationRep:
    My general experiences of drinking alone aren't great. My first year of of uni i was self medicating with alcohol and bordering on alcoholism. But for people who are more, um "stable" i see nothing wrong with the odd tipple alone now and then

ReputationRep:
    Where is I don't drink at all

ReputationRep:
    I think it's okay to have a glass of wine or something with your meal or a drink when watching TV if you wanna, but no more than 1 or 2 on your own. But personally if I was on my own I'd rather some diet pepsi lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tired yet?)
    I never drink alone, I don't enjoy the taste of alcohol, i only drink it when i'm going out.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I drink alone but not in excess, I enjoy a bottle of cider because of the taste and if its stone cold then it can be very refreshing in hot weather, but I certainly don’t drink because of the alcohol content.
    If you’re drinking to get drunk or just drinking a drink because it has alcohol in it then you need to learn to be less dependent on alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    I might have one or two drinks now and then on my own, but i'd never get drunk.

It's much more fun to drink with other people.

ReputationRep:
    One or two glasses of wine is okay when you're alone but id be concerned if it was anything more than that as if your drunk on your own theres no one else there stopping you from doing something stupid/ dangerous. At least if your drunk with other people theres more chance of your group having some common sense instead of absolutly none.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy getting drunk, so sometimes just drink on my own if everyone else is busy or I cant be assed to go out. Dont see anything wrong with it, long as im enjoying myself who cares what others think right?

Plus its fun to get smashed and troll TSR

ReputationRep:
    its ok to drink alone, its not hurting no one, plus nothing like a cold beer after a hard day

lots of people do it, for the taste or to relax, the issue become when your drinking to get drunk everyday

ReputationRep:
    I'll have the odd drink by myself but I'd never get drunk alone. Can't imagine anything more depressing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sat in front of the tv now watching Mission Impossible with a glass of lager, opened a can to have with dinner and just finishing it off. Might have a second one if i fancy it, but that would be it. I tend to drink quite slowly anyway, i opened the can when the film started at 8, so by the time i've finished a second (if i end up having another) it'll be getting on a bit. I don't see anything wrong with this, I'm just chilling out in front of the tv with a nice cold beer on a warm evening, not downing shots on my own and getting hammered.

I drink alone, and I do enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm hardly going to drink to the point of actually being drunk while alone, since I don't see the point of splashing out the massive amounts of cash it takes for me to get drunk while just sitting at home. But yes, sometimes I'll get a six-pack, have a bath, crack open a cold beer, watch junk television and write some poetry.

And as Reue said above, sometimes you just want to get messed up and troll TSR. ; )

ReputationRep:
    Some interesting poll results so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    I don't drink alone because I'm some kind of lonely "social failure" or whatever as some may assume, I have plenty of good, close friends. When i drink alone, I do enjoy it - just as much as when I go out with friends, though often more so. It's just nice to have some space to yourself, to reflect and to see your own typically mundane life with a bit more curiosity. Also, if you listen to your favorite music with headphones in a calm environment drunk, you genuinely do appreciate it more - much more so than in a sweaty and loud club (not like they often play good music anyway).
    I agree with this. Society has a ridiculous double standard to advocate drunkeness at every oppurtunity but insists it can only be used as a facade over social settings. What the ***** wrong with drinking alone? Piss off, society. I often get pissed alone and its fun to just let off steam and enjoy the buzz without having to bother getting ready to go out in the cold, and there's no ********s! I find that when drinking out its so expensive and I don't enjoy the drunkness as much unless I'm really gone, and for some reason feel worse in the morning than when I'm at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |>|Imagine|<|)
    I'm aware this "binge drinking" is "unhealthy", but to be honest, I'm 18 - and I'm just living it up while I still can, once I get some real responsibilties, there will be no continuation as I don't have an addictive personality and I certainly won't drink such large quantities.
    What you are doing seems absolutely fine and it's a great way to chill out so don't worry. As long as you're not getting plastered every night alone then it's nothing to worry about.

Like you I don't have an addictive personality and can choose when to consume it etc.

Usually I have about two glasses of wine in the evening when I can if I'm not doing anything else/have finished my activities for the day. I find it really helps me chill out and not stress about things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.