Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Honestly, do you think I'm a little bit fat when you look at me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingston_x)
    I don't want guys to look at me and think "cor, she's carrying a lot of fat"
    Dear God,
    :facepalm:
    That is all.

Sox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Not to patronise you (as you're obviously better-versed in this subject than I am), but how can you tell that the O.P.'s 'bulge' isn't simply her stomach protruding from a lack of abdominal muscle-mass?
    This made me lol :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I would love to have a belly like yours. Our BMI is similar but my stomach really is fat lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    Why does this mean it should be ignored?
    I should have been a little clearer, I appologise. What I mean is a 6ft 5" 20 stone shot putter or other athlete is going have a BMI of 33 and classed as obese. Yet he's probably one of the healthiest guys around.

The BMI doesn't take into account everything. Metabolism for example. Most of my family are over 6ft so i'm destined to be tall and i love all type of sport which keeps me from putting on weight. I've been tall and skinny all my life it doesn't mean i'm underweight. I'm certainly in proportion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Not to patronise you (as you're obviously better-versed in this subject than I am), but how can you tell that the O.P.'s 'bulge' isn't simply her stomach protruding from a lack of abdominal muscle-mass?
    That's not how it works. It's fat, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    I should have been a little clearer, I appologise. What I mean is a 6ft 5" 20 stone shot putter or other athlete is going have a BMI of 33 and classed as obese. Yet he's probably one of the healthiest guys around.

The BMI doesn't take into account everything. Metabolism for example. Most of my family are over 6ft so i'm destined to be tall and i love all type of sport which keeps me from putting on weight. I've been tall and skinny all my life it doesn't mean i'm underweight. I'm certainly in proportion.
    People always bring up the example of the muscular athlete. Of course BMI isn't flawless, but it generally provides a very good indication and an athlete such as you described is hardly going to be wondering if he's fat. Aside from such extreme cases, I fail to see why it isn't a fairly useful tool. If your BMI is under 18.5, you must be very light considering your height. According to definitions I've seen, 'underweight' often just means skinny, lighter than normal etc. and I don't see how you aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    That's not how it works. It's fat, trust me.
    It can work like that sometimes, trust me. :p: Most often it's fat, as that's a common place where women store it, but rubbish abdominal muscles will look awful as they struggle to hold organs in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    People always bring up the example of the muscular athlete. Of course BMI isn't flawless, but it generally provides a very good indication and an athlete such as you described is hardly going to be wondering if he's fat. Aside from such extreme cases, I fail to see why it isn't a fairly useful tool. If your BMI is under 18.5, you must be very light considering your height. According to definitions I've seen, 'underweight' often just means skinny, lighter than normal etc. and I don't see how you aren't.
    I completely agree, it does give a good indication, but as you say, it isn't flawless. I beleive it boils down to if you're happy with your body and healthy. (and i can't imagine many people like everything about their bodies) I'd quite like an extra few pounds. Muscle weighs more that fat so basing the entire "fat" argument on a BMI result is wrong, other things need to be taken into consideration.

It depends how you interpret my weight, if you take my BMI as the bases of your opinion then yes, i'm underweight. If your saw me, then you'd never have noticed

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a waist! I'm jealous!

Don't worry about the tiny bit of fat in the middle; it's normal for women to develop a natural layer of fat there to protect the womb (that's what I heard anyway) so it's a common problem area. Yours is tiny though, don't worry at all, you lok great!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    While I don't disagree with the statement in bold and agree she should not bother with sit ups and thought it pains me to actually offer you advice as one of my loyal fish if you yourself are "building muscle" then a pair of spinlock bells really isn't going to cut it for squats, they will be far to light, what are they about 20kg maximum each?

My better half started training her mum who is in her 50's and weighs 8 stone and she is already squatting 60kgs after a couple of weeks.

You want to be lean and build some muscle, good, the idea is there but you need to drag your ass to some proper weights to activate your CNS and get the main benefits from squatting, yes doing some will be better than nowt but I can't help but feel your pouty face will become more pouty when it understands that you are behind where you could be if you put the effort in (or should i say the understanding over effort as at least you are squatting).

That’s it from me, no more Mr nice powerlifter thats you bit of advice, now it's back to fishing!

CNS????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    CNS????
    central nervous system. release those hormones to send your body into overdrive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    CNS????
    Central Nervous System. Basically the term, when used in this context, is used to describe muscle recruitment as the reason for strength gains as opposed to increased muscle mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_unit_recruitment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingston_x)
    Please, advise me

My BMI is like 22, so 1 away from overweight. I'm really fat around my stomach area, but if you stand next to me you can still my rib bones. What can I do to get rid of that spare tyre? Does it look bad? God, I think it looks disgusting, i just want a washboard stomach like below

I just wana get rid of that bulge around my stomach, it's killing my confidence. I don't want guys to look at me and think "cor, she's carrying a lot of fat"

I used to be so skinny. But food became my friend arghhhhhhhhh

Not fat at all, and besides, 22 is 3 off overweight, if you didn't know already, the BMI boundaries are somewhere around this:

<17.5 - Underweight
    17.5-24.9 - Desirable (normal)
    25-29.9 - Overweight
    30+................- Obese
    ........(30-34.9 - Class I Obesity)
    ........(35-39.9 - Class II Obesity)
    ........(40+......- Class III obesity)

Although BMI is not a great indiacator as my bmi is around 13.7 (which is around 4 points below the lowest "normal" weight), but I am perfectly fine, not weak, good immune system etc. Just naturally underweight due to a very fast metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    Oo, you have a tiny wee waist!

ReputationRep:
    you look a lot less muscular in the first 2 pics compared to the last 2.

You're a bit skinny fat, i.e. low % muscle mass and a bit of fat, play some sports and lift some weights.

ReputationRep:
    How is a BMI of 22 "overweight"... wtf!?

ReputationRep:
    Shake what yerr maama gaaaave yeeeer! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    If overweight is BMI of 23 then I'm screwed.

ReputationRep:
    you look great! prehaps just shape up your diet a little that sort of weight is put on by a few too many sweeties!

ReputationRep:
    I hate you for being so skinny

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.