Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I just wanted to ask a question about the chances of me getting into a PGCE course for RE in 2010. You see im gonna start my final year this spetember and whereas I was predicted a 2:1 due to some personal issues I got a 2:2 for my second year and a 2:1 for first (not that it counts). I know that I can probably get a 2:1 next year but will the 2:2 affect my application?

Kinda confused and worried...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    As far as I am aware most universities will accept a 2.2, however you could be stressing over nothing. I discovered it is more than possible to
    make up your grades in the third year. Also most universities are interested in more than grades...experience is a must, if you don't have any I'd suggest worrying more about this than your grades.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, unis accept 2:2s but there was talk about raising the requirements to a 2:1 as well as raising the grades required in GCSEs. It's not for certain though and I'm not sure when they want to introduce it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solicitude)
    Hi,

I just wanted to ask a question about the chances of me getting into a PGCE course for RE in 2010. You see im gonna start my final year this spetember and whereas I was predicted a 2:1 due to some personal issues I got a 2:2 for my second year and a 2:1 for first (not that it counts). I know that I can probably get a 2:1 next year but will the 2:2 affect my application?

Yeh it is fine in general - however popular unis etc will prob say no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solicitude)
    Hi,

One of my friends at Durham just finished his degree and got a 3rd. He got onto his PGCE course. I suppose universities will sometimes give a little leeway depending on a number of factors

ReputationRep:
    Most places will be fine with it so don't worry too much on this point. However, as adolphus pointed out there is much more to the application for a GCSE than the degree grade. You need to ensure that you present a desirable teaching candidate with lots of experience to boot. If you haven't already done so and are still eligible, try to get onto your University's (or even another's for that matter) Student Associate Scheme. Outside of this you may want to get yourself into local schools observing your subject area/age range of choice or even volunteer on a regular basis.

Good luck with your final year of Uni and hopefully you'll get the grade and PGCE course you want. Remember to apply early and present a PS that really sells teaching as your vocation!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's only you final degree classification that matters, and universities still accept people onto PGCE courses with 2.2s.

ReputationRep:
    Only place I've seen so far that actually want a 2.1 is Cambridge. Most other places seem fine with a 2.2 - though I guess it does depend on competition for places though, but you need to get some classroom experience, if you haven't already done so.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your advice and help!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.