Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    yeh, shut up, serious Q.

The last few days my urine has been very foamy.

I googled it up, and tis cos of protein byproduct being pissed out.

Now the Q is;

Do other people who eat loads of protein get this?
    Is it just excess protein/too much in 1 serving/not enough water that is causing this?
    Are my kidneys screwed? or is it only if I get foaminess that doesn't go away?

thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's a sign of Diabetes. Go to the docs.

ReputationRep:
    eat more veggies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    yeh, shut up, serious Q.

Now the Q is;

Is it just excess protein/too much in 1 serving/not enough water that is causing this?

thanks
    If it's persistent it can indicate serious kidney problems.

ReputationRep:
    might just be a fluke. if it continues, go see a doctor, it's clearly not normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    It's a sign of Diabetes. Go to the docs.
    can be.

but wouldn't you need other things too?

like high glucose levels?

I take mine [out of boredom] on mum's tester, now and then and I'm always 5.0

ReputationRep:
    are you taking the p*ss??

ReputationRep:
    Go see a doctor, it really isn't normal. No point asking a forum for medical advice when it's something like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    eat more veggies!
    Not really relevant, but why does the guy in your sig take his shirt off first? :confused: Seems a bit gratuitous...

ReputationRep:
    You have to take your shirt off before school fights moron. Obviously never been in a fight.

ReputationRep:
    How much protein do you take? what is your body weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    How much protein do you take? what is your body weight?
    hmm around 250g as of late
    170 BW

I know it's relatively high, but nothing unheard of/uncommon
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I do more than you and I have no problems. My urine is quite clear. Not totally transparent looking like tap water but not browny green either.

ReputationRep:
    170 BW

No point asking on the internet, best to go ask your GP.

ReputationRep:
    Protein presence in urine is a very bad sign. Go to the doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    No point asking on the internet, best to go ask your GP.
    gp will see certain chemicals in me

and then complain and say its cos of that

ReputationRep:
    170 BW

Yeh that is alot of protein. I'm guessing a lot is whey in the form of protein shakes. If you take a lot of protein in shakes then it would seem that you are getting plenty of fluids but make sure you drink plenty of water too. Perhaps your kidneys haven't adapted as quickly as your muscles to your workout habits?

Its pretty complex balance but check out this article - it covers alot of ground and way more than I can write on a TSR post:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm

May also be worth checking out with your doctor anyway to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, shut up, serious Q.

Now the Q is;

thanks

firstly go to the doctors, excess protein in the urine (proteinuria) can look foamy, and its an indicator of a few things, infection, diabetes..even hypertension could lead to excess protein, they'll probably want to do a few tests, send off a sample to see how extensive it all is, so if you do book a GP appointment, ask for a urine sample pot, to bring in with you when you go see him/her or they may ask for a 24hr urine collection, and obviously look at your kidney function, as excess protein doesn't necessarily damage but will make your kidneys work harder. I'm sure you know consuming too much protein has no advantages to health/physical benefits, and will simply be excreted.

I suggest looking at your intake, and questioning whether it's really benefical for you and seeking medical advice

ReputationRep:
    In before "pics or gtfo"

Edit - according to Google unless it happens frequently you've got nothing to worry about.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...amy_urine.html
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It indicates abnormally high renal pressure - it's not normal, it is indicative of kidney and kidney-related problems. You really should see your GP.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.