Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    gp will see certain chemicals in me

and then complain and say its cos of that
    You need to take it on the chin and go anyway. They still have to deal with it even if it is self inflicted.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I'm sure you know consuming too much protein has no advantages to health/physical benefits, and will simply be excreted.
    It has huge physical benefits. I consume more than Adonis and am growing very nicely - much better than when I was was only consuming around 200g per day and using more carbs. (I'm also a bit leaner now than when I was using that approach as well.)

ReputationRep:
    Residue ***+urine=foamy urine
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Smack)
    It has huge physical benefits. I consume more than Adonis and am growing very nicely - much better than when I was was only consuming around 200g per day and using more carbs. (I'm also a bit leaner now than when I was using that approach as well.)

Consuming excessive quantities of proteins can lead to build of of ketones in the body (which are released when proteins from the diet are broken down) and not only can they cause ketoacidosis, they also make your sweat stink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    please find me a scientific journal article, which says that..?

what sort of training do you do? AFAIK only endurance training requires extra dietry protein, in food.

ReputationRep:

what sort of training do you do? AFAIK only endurance training requires extra dietry protein, in food.
    Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    Consuming excessive quantities of proteins can lead to build of of ketones in the body (which are released when proteins from the diet are broken down) and not only can they cause ketoacidosis, they also make your sweat stink.

plus: Muscles are built from protein. Unlike fat cells for fat and muscle or liver for glucose, there is no place in the body to store protein. We need to consume enough protein to allow our muscles to be healthy and perform work.

ReputationRep:
    When out on the piss my piss sometimes foams, I always think of it as the beer passing straight through. Are you sure it's not just this?

As an aside if your balls ache, or it hurts when you piss then chances are its a UTI. Had one myself once, felt like I'd been kicked in the knackers. IIRC a dose of antibiotics cleared it up nicely, well something anyway...

Oh and watch out for high protein diets, they are a sure-fire way of getting gout, especially when combined with dehydration and lots of exercise. And boy does gout hurt, it really, really, really ******* hurts.

I got my first bout of gout about four years ago, most likely brought on as I basically lived on McDonalds for a month. Once I stopped eating that crap it went away, but then came back again a year or two ago when I was doing some very heavy work in the garden, shifting probably in excess of twenty tonnes of topsoil about, reclaimed railway sleepers and lots and lots of timber beams, etc... Combine that with a BBQ on a nice hot day, so lots of protein, plus drinking a couple of beers (not an excessive amount) and not enough water, and well the recipe was complete for it to return. And I've been on these flipping pills ever since to keep it away...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

No one cares what your science says. We have plenty of real world experience saying high protein is needed for muscle gains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Wrong.
    Various studies have shown that strength-trained athletes habitually consume protein intakes higher than required. A positive energy balance is required for anabolism, so a requirement for “extra” protein over and above normal values also appears not to be a critical issue for competitive athletes because most would have to be in positive energy balance to compete effectively. At present there is no evidence to suggest that supplements are required for optimal muscle growth or strength gain. Strength-trained athletes should consume protein consistent with general population guidelines
    - from the international journal of applied and basic nutritional science, Protein requirements and supplementation in strength sports, 2004.

when looking at endurance training, the same author did a study and concluded only top sport athletes need a teeny bit more, and even then its a select few.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh im living proof that you don't need extra high protein diet to gain strength.
    I don't take any protein supplements nor do i seek out extra protein foods in my diet and my strength is going up nicely.
    Probs averaging less then a 100g/day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr Stamper)
    Tbh im living proof that you don't need extra high protein diet to gain strength.
    I don't take any protein supplements nor do i seek out extra protein foods in my diet and my strength is going up nicely.
    You are not human though, your blog has proven this time and time again. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    You are not human though, your blog has proven this time and time again. :confused:
    :confused:

Im pretty sure Burningnun is the same as me aswell, from what i've read he doesn't have a particularly special diet either and he's squatted more then me..

ReputationRep:
    - from the international journal of applied and basic nutritional science, Protein requirements and supplementation in strength sports, 2004.

when looking at endurance training, the same author did a study and concluded only top sport athletes need a teeny bit more, and even then its a select few.
    http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...ract/73/5/1986
    http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...ent=a785355350
    http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/73/2/767
    http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abst...9/suppl_5/513S
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Insane? lol
    15kg bench increase in nearly 12months
    20kg+ increase on my squat in 5/6months
    Deadlift has stalled since Mar/April time

On gear, your having a laugh aren't you? lol
    Im sure i'd get that sorta progress on a 8 week cycle rather then having to wait a year to add 15kg to my bench lol
    Do you count macros?

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

Im pretty sure Burningnun is the same as me aswell, from what i've read he doesn't have a particularly special diet either and he's squatted more then me..
    Aren't you like 70ish kg?

I could be wrong here, and I haven't read all your blogs, but don't you lift raw? Besides belt. I thought George's lifts were in gear?

ReputationRep:

lol im confused as to what exactly you're trying to prove, you've shown me 3 documents which are around 18-19years old and one which is 9 years old...and actually supports my point, protein supplements are not needed, and also from the same author...

ReputationRep:
    size/strength are different things blud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Do you count macros?
    I only count the weight on the bar mate.

Yes my 1rm's haven't gone up much, but my strength as gone up. Overhead press has gone up, squatting more weight for reps, deadlifting more weight for reps, chins have gone up, dips have gone up, BOR's..do i need to carry on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Aren't you like 70ish kg?

I could be wrong here, and I haven't read all your blogs, but don't you lift raw? Besides belt. I thought George's lifts were in gear?
    I've squatted 260kg in gear, ok my straps were down but george has done more.
    Im more towards 80kg then 70kg. ~79kg when i weighed on monday

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.