Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    plus: Muscles are built from protein. Unlike fat cells for fat and muscle or liver for glucose, there is no place in the body to store protein. We need to consume enough protein to allow our muscles to be healthy and perform work.

I just had to correct you because your science is so, so wrong. Proteins are the essential building blocks of life, they make up everything. The human body is essentially made up of lots of different types of proteins, it's just that muscle contains a much higher amount of protein than other types of cell, but that's not to say that other cells, such as liver, or kidney, don't contain protein either.

Edit; oh, any everything is essentially converted for glucose, proteins are made up of amino acids which are deaminated to release carbon and hydrogen for oxidation to release energy. The waste product of this process is ammonia, which is toxic to the human body. This is then converted to urea or uric acid and excreted via the kidneys in the urine. However, if excess amounts of protein are consumed (i.e in an usually high protein diet) then there can be a build up of uric acid, which can crystallise in muscles. Crystallisation of uric acid causes gout, which a previous poster had mentioned he has experienced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    I just had to correct you because your science is so, so wrong. Proteins are the essential building blocks of life, they make up everything. The human body is essentially made up of lots of different types of proteins, it's just that muscle contains a much higher amount of protein than other types of cell, but that's not to say that other cells, such as liver, or kidney, don't contain protein either.

lol i know about proteins thanks! My point was, about the protein intake in the diet and what is used/excreted, however its not proteins that make things up, isn't it the amino acids? Either way pt isn't meant to be in the urine, yes tiny amounts are found during menstruation, exertion, or in the morning, but not enough to make it foamy...

[sarcasm]
    however high protein does nothing to the kidney function and there is no evidence for that whatsoever, and a high protein diet doesn't do much at all
    [/sarcasm]

ReputationRep:
    Kidney problems.
    Probably caused by some other sort of blood pressure problem.
    I advice you to go see a doctor. This is not normal at all
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol i know about proteins thanks! My point was, about the protein intake in the diet and what is used/excreted, however its not proteins that make things up, isn't it the amino acids? Either way urine isn't meant to be in the urine..which someone thinks it should be
    See my edid about excretion. Did I see correctly that you're a student nurse?

No, protein deffo should not be in the urine. In one of my early posts I stated that it was abnormal, and although may not necessarily indicate a serious health problem, it should be looked at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    yeh, shut up, serious Q.

The last few days my urine has been very foamy.

I googled it up, and tis cos of protein byproduct being pissed out.

Now the Q is;

Do other people who eat loads of protein get this?
    Is it just excess protein/too much in 1 serving/not enough water that is causing this?
    Are my kidneys screwed? or is it only if I get foaminess that doesn't go away?

thanks
    Most certainly a sort of kindny problem

btw, such case might be an indication of high blood pressure which can damage the blood vessles in the kidnyes where your proteins are filtered back to the blood .
    Instead of being absorbed back to the blood they escape with the urine.
    You should see a doc asap as this can cause a number of seious health problems in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    See my edid about excretion. Did I see correctly that you're a student nurse?

No, protein deffo should not be in the urine. In one of my early posts I stated that it was abnormal, and although may not necessarily indicate a serious health problem, it should be looked at.
    yes ive seen the edit, my science isn't wrong as it was actually copied from my A&P textbook, so blame marieb, obviously i know about proteins etc and yes im a st/nurse, but i dont think it was elaborated to the situation.

Its abnormal, and it depends what you define as 'serious' obviously prevention etc is useful here, and definately get tested, i'd be very interested to see what his dipstick test says lol

ReputationRep:
    p.s: i'm interested in your case , please tell me what happens with you

ReputationRep:
    lol i know about proteins thanks!
    Well obviously not, because your next sentence reads
    however its not proteins that make things up, isn't it the amino acids?
    This shows you don't even know the role of proteins and their subunits, so how can you preach about "knowing proteins"! Go re-read your Marieb chapter, nay read chapter one on the building blocks of life or some BS.

And your science is piss poor:
    I *think* High protein = kidneys work harder, so more water is lost in urine, equally in dehydration if fluid levels are not replaced, but this is just going on what i remember from a lecture 5 months ago lol

Wtf is that all about? Kidneys "working harder" so more water is lost in urine? :facepalm:
    please find me a scientific journal article, which says that..?

what sort of training do you do? AFAIK only endurance training requires extra dietry protein, in food.
    Please, PLEASE stop embarrasing yourself in Fitness. You don't know what the hell you are talking about. Your obsession with journals/banging on about "evidence bases" is so bloody tedious. Next time you step into a gym, on that rare occasion, if it has ever happened, please take a look at the "evidence base" in the free weights section.

TOTALLY and utterly wrong about endurance training, again trying to spout your nonsense on a forum filled with far more clued up people than you will ever be anna. Every noob knows for serious bodybuilding you need a high daily intake of protein and carbs to prevent muscle catabolism (please look up that word in "Marieb" as well as what exactly resistance training does to skeletal muscle and the recovery/growth process). Stick to your weightloss blog, please.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've heard that excessive amounts of protein can screw up your kidneys. My advice would be to go to your doctor and tell him how much protein you're taking a day and see what he says about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a qualified urologist; you've been drinking too many fizzy drinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Well I've heard that excessive amounts of protein can screw up your kidneys. My advice would be to go to your doctor and tell him how much protein you're taking a day and see what he says about it.
    I'm afraid you are wrong.
    excess intake of protein does no harm.
    It's broken down in the liver (as we don't store proteins in our body like fats or cabs for instance) and the new substances are excreted in urine.
    That's why having proteins in urine is an indicator of sth wrong

p.s: taking good amounts of proteins is very important for health especially that some of the proteins needed in our body are made up of " essentail amino acids" which cannot be synthesised in our body.

ReputationRep:
    dude go see a doc asap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    It's broken down in the liver (as we don't store proteins in our body like fats or cabs for instance) and the new substances are excreted in urine.

p.s: taking good amounts of proteins is very important for health especially that some of the proteins needed in our body are made up of " essentail amino acids" which cannot be synthesised in our body.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2859733.stm

Protein is essential but just remember the old saying 'too much of a good thing can be bad for you'. Excessive protein is going to have negative effects on your body just as excessive amounts of fat has negative effects and fat is essential to the human body.

ReputationRep:

Protein is essential but just remember the old saying 'too much of a good thing can be bad for you'. Excessive protein is going to have negative effects on your body just as excessive amounts of fat has negative effects and fat is essential to the human body.
    Don't always believe the media hype. The actual paper available at http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/138/6/I-51

states the findings as

In women who started out with normal kidney function, there was no association between the amount or type of protein and a decrease in kidney function over time. On the other hand, women who started out with mildly decreased kidney function showed some worsening with increasing amounts of protein intake, particularly meat protein. Dairy or vegetable protein was not associated with worsening kidney function.

ReputationRep:

The researchers found that in women who had normal kidney function, there was no link between high-protein diets and a decline in renal function.
    But those who already had a mild kidney problem who ate a high-protein diet, particularly one high in meat protein, showed some deterioration.

Eating too much protein is believed to put too much strain on the body's ability to deal with waste products, particularly in people who already have a kidney problem.
    Elizabeth Ward, founder and president of the British Kidney Patient Association said: "If you have healthy kidneys, you can't eat enough protein to damage your kidneys.

it's the healthy case i was talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    The researchers found that in women who had normal kidney function, there was no link between high-protein diets and a decline in renal function.
    But those who already had a mild kidney problem who ate a high-protein diet, particularly one high in meat protein, showed some deterioration.

Eating too much protein is believed to put too much strain on the body's ability to deal with waste products, particularly in people who already have a kidney problem.
    Elizabeth Ward, founder and president of the British Kidney Patient Association said: "If you have healthy kidneys, you can't eat enough protein to damage your kidneys.

it's the healthy case i was talking about
    Fair point but I still believe that it will have some kind of detrimental effect, medicine just hasn't discovered it yet

ReputationRep:
    Fair point but I still believe that it will have some kind of detrimental effect, medicine just hasn't discovered it yet
    confident :p:
    anyways , everything is possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyhaz)
    Not really relevant, but why does the guy in your sig take his shirt off first? :confused: Seems a bit gratuitous...
    HAHA! LOVE IT :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)

It's certainly true that high protein diets do no harm. I've not seen one concrete study that shows they do.

I highlighted your sentence- excess protein can also be converted to glucose (I'm told around 50%), via the break down of amino acids. This then causes an insulin spike etc etc

ReputationRep:
    tbh adonis with all the s**t your pumping your body with, whether it be creatine, roids, performance enhancers, i wouldent besuprised. Could be diabetes, could be kidne problems. Try hanging back from all synthetic training crap for now. Give it two weeks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.