Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter from him today claiming £120 or he's taking me to court.

He's charged me £35 for cleaning (he's charged this to all six of us). I didn't see the house when the last person moved out, but it wasn't that dirty when I went. I can't imagine there being over £200 worth of work to do. My room was spotless.

£75 to replace a door frame. This was cracked before I moved in, although I didn't realise it. The door still worked fine however. Can he do this? Is there any way of proving my innocence?

£10 for a replacement key? He had spares. Fair enough I forgot to leave it but it's £3.50.

What can I do? I can't afford to pay anything at the moment but he wants it within fourteen days. He was an absolutely terrible landlord and I feel like he's trying to screw us out of more money. What should I do?

If I ask for invoices how can I be sure he's not faking them? I know he's got a few dodgy mates that do work.

There was also no deposit involved in renting the property.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    No deposit?? Was there a tenancy agreement, ie. did you sign anything, if not then I don't think he's got anything to stand on. Kind of doubt anyone would bother with court over £120 anyways, and I'm sure you could negotiate him down if you do decide to pay up.

If in doubt best place to go is citizens advice bureau

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    No deposit?? Was there a tenancy agreement, ie. did you sign anything, if not then I don't think he's got anything to stand on. Kind of doubt anyone would bother with court over £120 anyways, and I'm sure you could negotiate him down if you do decide to pay up.

If in doubt best place to go is citizens advice bureau
    Yeah there was a tenancy agreement but I don't have a copy.

He's on about claiming interest if I don't pay up, but he hasn't specified how much and hasn't actually filed a claim yet. He can't do this can he, at least until I've been served and specified how much? He's only sent a printed letter detailing what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    It all sounds pretty standard to me I'm afraid. £10 for a replacement key included the time it will take him to go get the key, and time equals money. Also, imagine if he had to replace the locks on the door because you didn't hand in your key. Many landlords would charge you a couple of hundred for that.

£35 for cleaning - again sounds standard, maybe a little steep, its normally about £20. You can only contest this if you have photos showing your room clean. Plus its not just about your room, but about all the communal areas. If these weren't spotless, then yes, he can charge you.

As for the doorframe, that is your fault. Whenever you move into a property you should photograph any faults in the first two weeks and get the landlord to agree and sign a document that the damage is pre-existing. If you didn't stipulate this on a document or inventory, there is no way to prove your innocence.

Learn your lessons for next time. I would pay up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as lemily said.. theres nothing you can do I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    No deposit, no payment in my book.

ReputationRep:
    Some landlords are arses.

Always take pictures of damage before you move in (so they can't charge you for something you didn't do when you leave) and take pictures of the state you leave your room in when you move out.

I know that doesn't really help you now, but worth considering in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    I got a letter from him today claiming £120 or he's taking me to court.

He's charged me £35 for cleaning (he's charged this to all six of us). I didn't see the house when the last person moved out, but it wasn't that dirty when I went. I can't imagine there being over £200 worth of work to do. My room was spotless.

£75 to replace a door frame. This was cracked before I moved in, although I didn't realise it. The door still worked fine however. Can he do this? Is there any way of proving my innocence?

£10 for a replacement key? He had spares. Fair enough I forgot to leave it but it's £3.50.

What can I do? I can't afford to pay anything at the moment but he wants it within fourteen days. He was an absolutely terrible landlord and I feel like he's trying to screw us out of more money. What should I do?

If I ask for invoices how can I be sure he's not faking them? I know he's got a few dodgy mates that do work.

There was also no deposit involved in renting the property.
    I'm afraid you'll have to take this as an expensive lesson, at best.
    Always take pictures before you move in and before you move out.
    Document everything.

Not even having a copy of your tenancy agreement (:rolleyes: ) shows that you're really in no position to defend this.

I would advise you to pay the full £120, as in court you are likely to lose and would then have to pay further court costs. (likely to be £50 at least)

note: this is not legal advice. I am only basing my opinions on what I read in your post.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it work both ways though? How can he prove I've done these things? How can he prove that whatever he's cleaned wasn't just wear and tear and/or wasn't like that before we moved in?

ReputationRep:
    I know it sucks, but as a tenant you don't really have a leg to stand on. Landlords can do it, because they can get away with it. When we all moved out of my house, it was cleaner than when we first moved in, but he charged us for a whole host of things. But there is nothing you can do. And as a Landlord he's going to put on more money for lost keys etc because of the inconvenience.

We got charged to de-weed a paved garden. For cleaning (although the house was spotless) and then he places a £30 each admin charge for the favour.

Next time you rent - take lots of dated photos on the first day in! So you can use them as evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it work both ways though? How can he prove I've done these things? How can he prove that whatever he's cleaned wasn't just wear and tear and/or wasn't like that before we moved in?
    Have you actually contacted him to negotiate the payment? Since you only just got the letter I think it would be worth making a phone call and trying to reach a friendly agreement.

If all else fails, hire a cut-price hitman.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have much of a leg to stand on. You have to prove the doorframe was broken with pictoral evidence which is date stamped, etc.

As for the cleaning, it doesn't matter how clean the place was, they still send in cleaners anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Has either he or you got a copy of the inventory before you moved in? Landlord's are supposed to do one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Has either he or you got a copy of the inventory before you moved in? Landlord's are supposed to do one.
    He has but it only has furniture on it. Nothing about doorframes or anything else.

I've just got off the phone with him. He's an absolute ****! I said fine, I'm willing to settle, just send me the invoices for the work carried out first and I'll pay in full. He wouldn't agree to this. We spent half an hour arguing and going round in circles, he threatened me with court, sending one in my Mum's (guarantor) name and other stuff, interest, court costs, said he'd take £10 if I sent the keys back, I kept repeating I'd pay if he sent me proof of the work first e.t.c. before he said he'd leave it with me but if I didn't pay up he'd take it to court.

I'm within my rights to ask for that right? If it does go to court, I don't have to pay his solicitor's fees do I?

ReputationRep:
    He has but it only has furniture on it. Nothing about doorframes or anything else.

I've just got off the phone with him. He's an absolute ****! I said fine, I'm willing to settle, just send me the invoices for the work carried out first and I'll pay in full. He wouldn't agree to this. We spent half an hour arguing and going round in circles, he threatened me with court, sending one in my Mum's (guarantor) name and other stuff, interest, court costs, said he'd take £10 if I sent the keys back, I kept repeating I'd pay if he sent me proof of the work first e.t.c. before he said he'd leave it with me but if I didn't pay up he'd take it to court.

I'm within my rights to ask for that right? If it does go to court, I don't have to pay his solicitor's fees do I?
    Seriously ask at the citizens advice bureau http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Maybe send a letter by recorded delivery and keep a copy with the receipt, stating your position of asking for invoices/proof of work done before considering paying them back. If you could prove that you were willing to pay then I think the whole court case thing is really just a scare tactic, I really doubt he'd a)bother with it (£100 really isn't a lot of money) b) be able to if you'd agreed to pay pending proof of costs. But I'm guessing so ask citizens advice, that's what they're there for!

ReputationRep:

You would have been better writing a letter stating you'd pay, and asking for an invoice, and keeping a copy of the letter. That way, you'd have written proof of the reply (him going round in circles and still threatening to take you to court) which would not work in his favour if he then actually filed a claim. You have no evidence of the phone conversation you just had.

And I repeat what others said - you should have taken dated photos before signing the agreement, and at the very least, you should have a copy of that.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum's mate's husband works for the CAB, don't worry I'm getting in touch, TSR wasn't my first port of call! Just waiting for a reply, she can't get through at the moment.

If he does eventually file a claim, and I then write back asking for proof, that's as good as our phone conversation isn't it? I'm suspicious as to why he won't send them, I was very reasonable.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.