Turn on thread page Beta

The Plank watch

ReputationRep:
    I was introduced to this exercise a few days ago. I tried it and first time around, I managed 49 seconds - with some discomfort. It's good for the core, apparently. What does 'core' mean/involve?

I guess the shaking of the body whilst doing this is part and parcel of the Plank? My lower back was certainly feeling the effects.

What times do you folks 'get'/spend doing it/how often and how has the Plank aided you?

ReputationRep:
    Core is basically a word people use for the abs when they think they're too cool to talk about abs.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the plank, it just bores me zzzzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    Me and my gym mate at uni usually do it for a laugh after every gym session - initially we were doing around a minute but worked up to 2 minutes - some people can do it for insane lengths of time though!

ReputationRep:
    I have to do this one quite a bit. Try and lift one foot up and hold your leg in the air whilst you do it, killer :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I have to do this one quite a bit. Try and lift one foot up and hold your leg in the air whilst you do it, killer :sad:
    Lift one leg like you said and then lift the opposite arm as well. Thats killer :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Lift one leg like you said and then lift the opposite arm as well. Thats killer :p:.
    When you're as fat as I am it's a wonder to be able to do the plank at all :p:

However, I do do it on one arm on my side, but I can't balance properly so have to get both feet on the floor

ReputationRep:
    I was told do this for 40secs x 2, so I did and still do. I find it pretty poor tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    I was told do this for 40secs x 2, so I did and still do. I find it pretty poor tbh.
    Plank to fail absolutely kills. If it doesn't feel like someones pouring acid all over your abs. You aren't doing it right/long enough .

Screw 40 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    I can do a pretty decent plank (A little over 4 minutes, if I recall correctly - may have been closer to 5) but I don't know it's all that useful. I'm not sure I trust a static exercise that lasts more than a few seconds to be having any meaningful effect.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to do it for 10seconds, with a minute break inbetween

ReputationRep:
    I recall doing that at a thai boxing gym after lots of ab exercises, people were struggling to manage to do it for 10 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely hate the plank. There's nothing more frightening than the prospect of being eaten by sharks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Absolutely hate the plank. There's nothing more frightening than the prospect of being eaten by sharks.
    You'll be OK so long as your cabin boy keeps his wits about him.

ReputationRep:
    It's soo hard >.<

I do 20 second reps.

ReputationRep:
    I can do it for 60 seconds. Absolute cains though, but I love the challenge lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    You'll be OK so long as your cabin boy keeps his wits about him.
    Alas, I am the cabin boy, and if I'm not being buggered I'm intoxicated on rum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Plank to fail absolutely kills. If it doesn't feel like someones pouring acid all over your abs. You aren't doing it right/long enough .

Screw 40 seconds.
    I could go longer and ye it hurts, I just fail to see how it beneficial it is. Maybe I'm wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    I just tried this to see what I could do (because I'm cool like that) and my kees hurt. I don't think thats a good thing, so I guess I won't be doing this again.

I managed about 20 secs before I panicked about my knees.

ReputationRep:
    Knees?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.