Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i am planning on give out Cvs to various shops etc soon and was wondering whether u think it is better to post them in the mail with the manager on the front or to hand them in at the shop personally.

Also has anyone been successful by putting a speculative application in which means just handing in or posting CV event though there may not be jobs available.

I guess it depends. I've had great results from speculative applications by posting my CV out. However, others have had great results by handing them in personally.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but a good targeted covering letter that makes you seem enthusiastic about the company helps.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make any difference. But at least if you post it then the manager will actually read it because they don;t know what's in the envelope. If you hand it in, the manager will know what it is and not bother opening it, or the reeeeetard you give it to will forget all about it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally prefer handing it in person, especially when they're not advertising. It gives you a chance to make a good first impression (which I'm strong at). ...Supposedly when you're applying for retail positions it's less about experience and more about character.

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, I think it'll very rarely make any difference at all. It's unlikely that the person you hand it to will be the person dealing with it, and even if it is, they'll be busy at the time and will file it to look at later, so the result will be the same as if you'd posted it. In fact, when you post it, it'll be opened alongside a bunch of other paperwork, whereas if you hand it in on a shop floor there's a very slim chance it'll get lost before it gets looked at!

(Original post by allieRAWR!)
    I personally prefer handing it in person, especially when they're not advertising. It gives you a chance to make a good first impression (which I'm strong at). ...Supposedly when you're applying for retail positions it's less about experience and more about character.
    I see what you mean, however, that first impression is only ever useful if you happen to see the manager. In most cases, the manager happens to be 'busy', and you end up leaving your CV and Covering Letter with another colleague. It then ends up in their pigeon hole etc. and therefore that first impression doesn't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hand them in just so you know that they have definetly went to the right place. I don't think there is much difference success rate wise between mail and handing in though.

And yeah I would reccomend just handing in a CV regardless of whether they have one advertised or not because it cannot do any harm. When I was looking for a job I just sent of my CV in a e-mail to companies HR departments on the off chance just telling them what hours I could do and if there was a space. Got a few replies doing this and eventually a job out of it. I like this way because people will always check emails so it's guarenteed a look atleast.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing seems to be working for me... lmao

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a bit spectical about random cashier taking my CV and putting it under the counter :p: but I guess most will remember to notify a manager.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.