Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am writing my IB Extended Essay on card counting. I am comparing the Hi-Lo method and the Omega II method. I am stuck on the introduction. A great place to get stuck I know but I am confused as to how much historical background I should include and how much maths I should start off with.

Does anybody know any good programs to help me write algorithms and simulate a blackjack game? I am also a bit lost on the maths side of things. I know how to card count but creating a model for the outcome after 10000 games is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

Can anyone help?

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but do you need to write it about card counting? As you could pick something easier.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a cool project to me. I can't offer anything other than encouragement though. I can't even count to 21 without taking off my socks and pants.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, thanks for the encouragement "Low Key." I appreciate it.

I could pick something else. But I am really interested in the topic. I have been for a while and then I thought this would be an opportunity for me to understand it more thoroughly. I just am a bit stuck on exactly how much history I should put in and the general plan. I think I will be able to get through the maths of it but I was just wandering if anybody had any knowledge in this kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsemm920)
    Lol, thanks for the encouragement "Low Key." I appreciate it.

I could pick something else. But I am really interested in the topic. I have been for a while and then I thought this would be an opportunity for me to understand it more thoroughly. I just am a bit stuck on exactly how much history I should put in and the general plan. I think I will be able to get through the maths of it but I was just wandering if anybody had any knowledge in this kind of thing.
    You may like to do some 'research' by watching this film :awesome: Youtube has the whole film here :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    You may like to do some 'research' by watching this film :awesome: Youtube has the whole film here :ninja:
    they don't explain anything really in that film though.
    like what to take as absolute zero...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    they don't explain anything really in that film though.
    like what to take as absolute zero...
    No, hence the inverted commas. It made a week of stats lessons much more entertaining though.

ReputationRep:
    A quick search brought up this. I don't know how good it is, but it may be of some use to you (there's a few more free programs if you type 'card counting simulator' into google). It lets you simulate 2,147,483,647 rounds without modificiations so I guess that's more than enough.

I'd imagine creating a program to do it yourself wouldn't be too hard but optimising it so that it could do enough rounds in a small enough amount of time would be a bit more difficult (however I'm just guessing).

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Jooee!! They are great. I am really gonna use it alot. Really appreciate it mate. I will recommend them to anyone.

Cheers!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's good quality, too ;]

I just got a film for the night wooo

ReputationRep:
    I've seen it before, but i'm watching again and I just can't stop getting annoyed.

He's 21, doing newton rhapson at Uni in a class. WTF is this?

To top it off, spacey then comes out with the ******* gameshow host problem which has NOTHING AT ALL to do with non linear equations.

wait, and then after his little speech he then ends class. ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    I've seen it before, but i'm watching again and I just can't stop getting annoyed.

To top it off, spacey then comes out with the ******* gameshow host problem which has NOTHING AT ALL to do with non linear equations.

:console:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Low Key)
    Sounds like a cool project to me. I can't offer anything other than encouragement though. I can't even count to 21 without taking off my socks and pants.

lmao "and pants". Nice.

ReputationRep:

haha I was thinking the same thing...

Just watched the whole film again - couldn't stop myself

ReputationRep:
    To simulate a game, can't you just get like 4 packs of cards..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imhiya)
    To simulate a game, can't you just get like 4 packs of cards..?
    I think it might take a while to simulate 10,000 games of blackjack by hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    I think it might take a while to simulate 10,000 games of blackjack by hand.
    Atleast you'd be a pro at the end

ReputationRep:

I have to agree, that bit was really weird.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 8, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.