Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here done advanced higher maths? Just wondering what to expect this year.We did some differentiation - product/quotient rule - before the holidays, and that seemed easy enough, but does it get a lot more difficult?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it gets that much more difficult. Those are among the easiest bits of the course, but if you followed it all easily enough then you'll be fine.

One thing though, be prepared to not understand things the first time you go over them! You have to work a bit harder to fully get the topics in AH, while everything may have been a bit more obvious at higher.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Meteorshower, don't expect to understand things straight away. I think that product/quotient rule are definetly the easiest bits of the course (and there are a few other bits which are just as easy) but it certainly gets more difficult/complex. I'll admit that there are a few concepts that I still don't get (although some bits were just missed out of the teaching of the course).

ReputationRep:
    Take it from me, just keep up with the course. Don't leave it until march and you need an A for Uni. Nothing that's not doable though in the course.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'm going to force myself to actually just revise over everything from the AH course every so often from August and do A LOT of work for AH maths at home.
    That is IF I done well in the Higher :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    I found AH maths to be fine. Parts (mainly just vectors) were harder (although this may be to do with the fact that vectors were taught at the same time as i was doing my write ups for bio and chem and so did no work for my other subjects at the time and therefore did not understand vectors as well as i would have liked to) but most of the course wasn't too difficult, just make sure you do the homework and revise for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    For me it wasn't the new formulas and processes that were hard it was the complex Algebra behind it all e.g when rearranging really nasty product/quotient rule excercises.

Just do the homework, don't be worried if there are lessons when as soon as the teacher leaves the room you all go "i have no idea what that means"-it comes eventually

And whatever you do don't forget the trig identities because there is no formulae list in the exam Our teacher couldn't believe we had forgotten them and spent ten minutes trying to prompt the answer from us to be met with four blank faces staring at him. We got there eventually

ReputationRep:
    i did a level maths :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _summer09_)
    Anyone here done advanced higher maths? Just wondering what to expect this year.We did some differentiation - product/quotient rule - before the holidays, and that seemed easy enough, but does it get a lot more difficult?
    is scottish maths different to english maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    is scottish maths different to english maths?
    Well Maths is universal and is pretty much consistent throughout the world.

But I assume you're referring to the school subject Mathematics.

Scottish pupils do Higher Mathematics in 5th year and Advanced Higher Mathematics in S6, generally.

English pupils do AS level maths in Year 12 and A2 in Year 13 (Corrected; thanks Anon the 7th)

Basically from what I heard Higher Maths is easier than AS level maths and Advanced Higher Maths is slightly harder than A2 level maths.

Although I'm no expert on this.

Someone correct me.

ReputationRep:
    you are totally right

i dunno about the scottish bit but the english ive just finished the a2 maths year 13 lol and find out how i did 3 weeks today

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I found it easier than higher- but then I also found advanced higher physics easier than higher physics. It was probably because I worked harder during the term as I had conditional offers for uni while doing advanced highers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john.miguel)
    Well Maths is universal and is pretty much consistent throughout the world.

But I assume you're referring to the school subject Mathematics.

Scottish pupils do Higher Mathematics in 5th year and Advanced Higher Mathematics in S6, generally.

English pupils do A level maths in Year 12 and A2 in Year 13 (I believe?)

Basically from what I heard Higher Maths is easier than A level maths and Advanced Higher Maths is slightly harder than A2 level maths.

Although I'm no expert on this.

Someone correct me.
    oh but its AS level in year 12 not a level then a2 in year 13 which makes the whole a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    oh but its AS level in year 12 not a level then a2 in year 13 which makes the whole a level
    Thank you, edited original post.

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Higher Maths is strange in that you didn't actually need to be very good at maths to do it. You just need to have a very good memory.

Theres no Problem Solving or thinking outside the box. Its just straight memorize the formulas and methods and you will be fine. Almost all the question are set types with a small amount of variety. The only unknown bit of the whole exam is because of the sheer size of it you don't know what type of question will come up. But know matter what if you had a good teacher you will have seen it before.

It was actually a disapointing. If your great at maths but **** at studying (because you have never needed to before) it can be hard because despite being able to understand it all you can't remember the exact method/wording that gets you 5/6 of the marks.

There are one or two tricky bits in the course. Vectors is one especially if its not taught well, I ended up having to teach it my self as we had a crap guy once a week who taught it.
    And Non-linear Homogenues differenciaton (is that how you spell it) is hard as you have to learn 6 different basic formulas then adapt them. And there complex formulas.

Just memorize a formula sheet and the wording of methods and you will get an A no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    Advanced Higher Maths is strange in that you didn't actually need to be very good at maths to do it. You just need to have a very good memory.

Theres no Problem Solving or thinking outside the box. Its just straight memorize the formulas and methods and you will be fine. Almost all the question are set types with a small amount of variety. The only unknown bit of the whole exam is because of the sheer size of it you don't know what type of question will come up. But know matter what if you had a good teacher you will have seen it before.
    I disagree with this, there is usually a couple of pretty damn hard questions in a paper that require you to think on your feet as it were, and due to the lack of resources it is very difficult to have practised huge amounts of question style's. I actually found Higher to be more like you describe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    It was actually a disapointing. If your great at maths but **** at studying (because you have never needed to before) it can be hard because despite being able to understand it all you can't remember the exact method/wording that gets you 5/6 of the marks.
    Sorry, but I agree with Lachlan :p: If you understand it all, there's no excuse for not getting the marks really, barring errors like arithmetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    I disagree with this, there is usually a couple of pretty damn hard questions in a paper that require you to think on your feet as it were, and due to the lack of resources it is very difficult to have practised huge amounts of question style's. I actually found Higher to be more like you describe.
    What? You joking. Show me what question had an aspect of problem solving in this years exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Sorry, but I agree with Lachlan :p: If you understand it all, there's no excuse for not getting the marks really, barring errors like arithmetic.
    What i'm trying to say though is you don't need to be able to understand it. Just memorize the methods. I was the only one in my class that ever tried to understand it, everyone else just memorized the methods. If you know the method then there is no need to understand it.
    I was told all year by the head of maths "You don't need to understand the theort, you just need to memorize the method"

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.