Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    What? You joking. Show me what question had an aspect of problem solving in this years exam?
    This years exam was different from other years tbh. But I would say Q12 and 15 weren't exactly straight forward.

Better examples from other years would be Q12, 13 and 15 of 2005, Q16 and 17 of 2006, Q13 of 2007 and Q15 and 16 of 2008

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    What i'm trying to say though is you don't need to be able to understand it. Just memorize the methods. I was the only one in my class that ever tried to understand it, everyone else just memorized the methods. If you know the method then there is no need to understand it.
    I was told all year by the head of maths "You don't need to understand the theort, you just need to memorize the method"
    True, but it's made faaaar easier by understanding it. There are a lot of rules and methods that aren't easy to remember if you don't know why they work. Think about who probably did best in your class, I'm likely the ones who tried to understand things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    True, but it's made faaaar easier by understanding it. There are a lot of rules and methods that aren't easy to remember if you don't know why they work. Think about who probably did best in your class, I'm likely the ones who tried to understand things.
    See thats the interesting thing. I was the best in my class. But the next best guy was a guy who studied a lot. And apart from me all the best people just studied it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    See thats the interesting thing. I was the best in my class. But the next best guy was a guy who studied a lot. And apart from me all the best people just studied it a lot.
    I'm not saying that studying a lot can't get you a good grade, but understanding it makes it considerably easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    This years exam was different from other years tbh. But I would say Q12 and 15 weren't exactly straight forward.

Better examples from other years would be Q12, 13 and 15 of 2005, Q16 and 17 of 2006, Q13 of 2007 and Q15 and 16 of 2008
    12 i'll agree was a more difficult example but 15 was just a standard question all be it a hard one.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that studying a lot can't get you a good grade, but understanding it makes it considerably easier.
    I know it does. What I'm saying is that understanding the theory is not required to pass. And from my experience its not encouraged either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    I know it does. What I'm saying is that understanding the theory is not required to pass. And from my experience its not encouraged either.
    You could not understand the theory for any level at maths and still do well, providing you had sufficient memory recall and rote learned enough. It becomes impractical for anything that much more complex than higher though, and personally i don't think rote learning is worth it for Advanced Higher.

ReputationRep:
    You could not understand the theory for any level at maths and still do well, providing you had sufficient memory recall and rote learned enough. It becomes impractical for anything that much more complex than higher though, and personally i don't think rote learning is worth it for Advanced Higher.
    Fair enough. Rote learning was just the way it was taught in my school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.