Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did my A Levels 2 years ago. On today's system I would have got an A* in Maths (although I can't remember exactly what I got) I may have even got one in the other subjects as well.

So I'm thinking of retaking some again (so there isn't a younger generation out there telling me their grades are better than what mine was).

In my city there's a night school which do some intensive A levels over the year. Their maths course (CCEA) is different to my own (AQA) but there's enough cross over here that I reckon it should be ok.

Their course is C1-4, M1 and S1. Mine was C1-4 and M1-2 (B)

Now I quite like maths, and fancy an A level in Further Maths too (hence the title). This is where problems kick in. The exam boards are noticeably different here.

I like AQA's further maths: plenty of textbooks, and no need to do horrible statistics modules . CCEA's looks a lot more challenging, but then there is very little in the way of help for this.

So ideally, I'd like to do the CCEA A level Maths at nightschool, and AQA further maths on my own.
    Is this allowed?

If so, can I redo M2 for AQA Further Maths if I'm doing S1 for ccea maths.

If anyone out there has done FM and has advice I'd also be grateful. At the moment I'm leaning towards FP1-4 and M3 and M5 .

ReputationRep:
    You are not really meant to use different exam boards...
    My school used CCEA.
    For Maths we took:
    C1,C2,M1,C3,C4,S1
    and for further: FP1,FP2,M2.
    To be honest I wouldn't recommend teaching yourself further. Compared to standard it can be quite tricky...

I don't think you can mix and match modules between the boards, so each A Level should be made up of modules from one board.

edit: Have I read your post wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Fable)
    I did my A Levels 2 years ago. On today's system I would have got an A* in Maths (although I can't remember exactly what I got) I may have even got one in the other subjects as well.

So I'm thinking of retaking some again (so there isn't a younger generation out there telling me their grades are better than what mine was).

In my city there's a night school which do some intensive A levels over the year. Their maths course (CCEA) is different to my own (AQA) but there's enough cross over here that I reckon it should be ok.

Their course is C1-4, M1 and S1. Mine was C1-4 and M1-2 (B)

Now I quite like maths, and fancy an A level in Further Maths too (hence the title). This is where problems kick in. The exam boards are noticeably different here.

I like AQA's further maths: plenty of textbooks, and no need to do horrible statistics modules . CCEA's looks a lot more challenging, but then there is very little in the way of help for this.

So ideally, I'd like to do the CCEA A level Maths at nightschool, and AQA further maths on my own.
    Is this allowed?

If so, can I redo M2 for AQA Further Maths if I'm doing S1 for ccea maths.

If anyone out there has done FM and has advice I'd also be grateful. At the moment I'm leaning towards FP1-4 and M3 and M5 .
    Entirely sufficient justification I see.

ReputationRep:
    "
    I don't think you can mix and match modules between the boards, so each A Level should be made up of modules from one board.

edit: Have I read your post wrong? "

Possibly - I wanted to choose six from one board to certify as Maths and a different six from another board to certify as "further Maths".
    Maybe the two subjects have to be studied simultaneously and come from the same board.

On inspection the CCEA syllabus doesn't seem to mention the A* grade whilst the AQA one does, which means obviously I'll be entering AQA!

"To be honest I wouldn't recommend teaching yourself further. Compared to standard it can be quite tricky..."

The best motivation I've heard yet!

"Entirely sufficient justification I see."

I certainly think so. And if it helps make the system more competitive then that's a good thing!

ReputationRep:

edit: Have I read your post wrong?
    Possibly - I wanted to choose six from one board to certify as "Maths" and a different six from another board to certify as "Further Maths".
    Maybe the two subjects have to be studied simultaneously and come from the same board.

On inspection the CCEA syllabus doesn't seem to mention the A* grade whilst the AQA one does, which means obviously I'll be entering AQA!

To be honest I wouldn't recommend teaching yourself further. Compared to standard it can be quite tricky...

What textbooks did your school use by the way?

Entirely sufficient justification I see.
    I certainly think so. And if it helps make the system more competitive for these whipper snappers then that's a good thing!

Possibly - I wanted to choose six from one board to certify as "Maths" and a different six from another board to certify as "Further Maths".

I don't know if it's as simple as just choosing a few modules and doing them to make up the further maths A level. There might have been a syllabus change from when you 1st did A Levels to now. Maybe you could ring up someone from AQA and ask them how you would go about it. Good Luck

Further Maths can be quite tricky but doing as many questions as possible from the textbooks and doing as many past papers as possible should put you in good stead for the exams.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point?

If you're really good enough, you'll ace your uni course. And that'll be much more important than whether you got an A in the old system or an A* in the new one.

(Original post by Overmars)
    What's the point?

If you're really good enough, you'll ace your uni course. And that'll be much more important than whether you got an A in the old system or an A* in the new one.
    This, blates.

OP, why on earth are you retaking your A-levels 2 years after you first sat them? You're bound to do better just from being older and having more knowledge, not to mention you're studying material you've covered before. And employers will know this. It's just daft. Your whole plan is daft. Focus on uni and other forms of self-improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    This, blates.

OP, why on earth are you retaking your A-levels 2 years after you first sat them?
    Because I can

You're bound to do better just from being older and having more knowledge, not to mention you're studying material you've covered before.
    Maybe, but is that really an issue?

My A Levels were all science but I really wanted to study History. I'm doing it and the motivations carried through to Maths at least.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.