Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody

I'm going to Stratford college this September so I was wondering how do you share a kitchen when you have to eat? Description of my college says:

258 en-suite and deluxe study bedrooms configured in fully furnished 4, 5 and 6 bedroom apartments.

Which means I'll have 5 guys to share the kitchen with.

How do you deal with it? :woo:

Everybody's cooking for himself or 1 guy cooks for everybody?

ReputationRep:
    Usually every man or himself - there will be times when you all cook for everyone (like a Sunday roast) or when you all just get takeaway.

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends on how eveyone living in the flat decides to go about it. It's worth talking to one another when you first move in about things, though, like:

*Is it OK to share one another's food and kitchen equipment? Are there some things (like, say, milk) that you're happy to share, and others you don't want to?
    *How are you going to handle things like cleaning and taking out the rubbish? Will you have a rota, how long is it acceptable to leave washing up without doing it, and so on.

Generally, in most of the places I've shared kitchens, sometimes you cook for yourself, other times you share (and this can happen without any special planning, "I'm cooking pasta, do you want some", or can be a full-blown roast dinner with everyone making part of it).

ReputationRep:
    We all cooked our own in first year. You need to speak to your new flatmates and see what they say. I'm going into 3rd year and going to be sharing with one other person and this will be the first time that I frequently share a meal with another person (except from home of course). Even then we'll probably do some seperate meals.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for replies.

How big are college kitchens? Do I have to wait until my mates have finished cooking/eating until I can start cook for myself?

Oh, btw, how about refrigerator? Do you have one? Do your mate have a tendency to take your stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Good topic, at my accomodation i will have 7 others to contend with, help!

ReputationRep:
    TBH., in terms of cooking times, everybody eats at different times and everybody is in lectures at different times, so we rarely had any struggle for the kitchen space last year - and that was with ten of us.

Fridge - we shared milk and bought everything else ourselves.

Just establish some ground rules re: food taking & cooking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    TBH., in terms of cooking times, everybody eats at different times and everybody is in lectures at different times, so we rarely had any struggle for the kitchen space last year - and that was with ten of us.

Fridge - we shared milk and bought everything else ourselves.

Just establish some ground rules re: food taking & cooking.
    :eek: 10 people! Is mess a big problem with that many people sharing?

ReputationRep:
    Ive been to stratford college and seen the apartments. i gues ur not from the uk as the accommodation is mostly full of chinese and korean people (all very polite). The accommodation rooms are on the small side so are the en-suite bathrooms they only have showers, but they are nice as they are new. you get one big fridge/freezer for how ever mainy people on your floor (5-8). and a sitting dining room with a big tv. this area is big enough for everyone to be in at the same time comfortably. there is a morrsons literly accross the road. and the accommodation is on campus so walk out of bed into class. basicly your going to eat alot of noodles from what i saw in the sink. i think some flats had 1 guy cooking for everybody, but this will be up to the people you live with. its all very safe with i.d. card at the doors so normal students cant get in. basicly its all nice and im sure youl like it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's really a problem. I was sharing a kitchen with 72 other people, lol. We had four hobs, two ovens and two microwaves between us. A lot of people I never saw in the kitchen, and others ate at different times anyway. I only had to wait occasionally for the cookers. It all worked out fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sigstuff)
    :eek: 10 people! Is mess a big problem with that many people sharing?
    God, are you really surprised? A lot of people live in worse housing that me. I was quite lucky.

And no, not at all. There's mutual respect. And there are cleaners. And if you do have a problem, you realise that you're 18, and mature enough to discuss it with people.

It's really not as big a problem as people seem to make it out to be. I don't get why people do that?

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was sharing with five other people , we cooked for ourselves pretty much all of the time although there was the odd occasion or two when I shared meals with a flatmate.

Kitchen space wasn't really an issue tbh , we all had cupboards and two fridge/freezers to share although I pretty much got exclusive use of one of them becuase my other flatmates didn't tend to cook meals that often.Never really had to wait for hobs/ovens either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.