Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

As far as I understand the reason for the Oxbridge interview process was that there were so many applicants, all with 3 As, that they needed another way to separate the great from the good.

In the IB, however, the problem of everyone getting the same "perfect" score is not a problem, so I was wondering exactly how important Oxbridge interviews are for IB students.

I have a 43 predicted score in the IB, so does the interview matter a lot for me when I apply?

ReputationRep:
    not very

ReputationRep:
    are you speaking from experience?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the interview still matters. Clearly the better your IB score the better your chances but interviews are still a crucial part of the application process, your best chance of getting in is to do well in all areas: grades, predictions, any tests, and the interview. Don't just assume your grades guarantee you a place, they do not.

ReputationRep:
    I also have another question. Not sure if I should create a whole new thread, so here goes.

How important is the difference between HL and SL? Is doing well in both HL and SLs better or worse than doing excellent in HLs and okay on SLs?

Example:

John needs subjects A, B and C at HL in order to do a specific course. He does in fact take A, B, and C at HL and takes D, E, and F at SL. Would Oxbridge or any good uni prefer 7 7 7 at HL and 5 5 5 at SL, or 7 7 6 in HL and SL?

ReputationRep:
    Most offers I've seen were something like 776 at HL and 38 (up to 42) points overall. So you can calculate how well you'd have to do at SL. However some offers only specify overall points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony2DaMax)
    Hi everybody,

As far as I understand the reason for the Oxbridge interview process was that there were so many applicants, all with 3 As, that they needed another way to separate the great from the good.

In the IB, however, the problem of everyone getting the same "perfect" score is not a problem, so I was wondering exactly how important Oxbridge interviews are for IB students.

I have a 43 predicted score in the IB, so does the interview matter a lot for me when I apply?
    It would still be very, and in all likelihood just as important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Most offers I've seen were something like 776 at HL and 38 (up to 42) points overall. So you can calculate how well you'd have to do at SL. However some offers only specify overall points.
    Really? That means that they only expect 18 points from the 3 SL subjects and the EE/ToK?

ReputationRep:
    Or is that 38 pts without bonus pts?

ReputationRep:
    Or is that 38 pts without bonus pts?
    Sometimes it includes bonus points and sometimes it doesn't. The harshest offer I've seen on here was something like 776 and 41 points overall not including bonus points. The lowest was something like 38 points overall including bonus points. It varies.

You should go to the Oxbridge forum and check out the offers people got in the past, that would give you an idea.

ReputationRep:
    it still is quite important. my predicted score was 44-45/45, all 7s in HL, and sill got rejected from cambridge ... a friend of mine had predicted the same and did interview for oxford medicin, and got rejected too (but she didnt so that great on the test u need to get into medecin, but still ...)
    another girl which applied to cambridge and had 43 predicted, didnt get in either, so thinking good grades are enough to get into oxbridge is quite naive ...

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

Your first paragraph contains a false assumption. The reason for the interviews is nothing to do with the need to separate applicants with good results. Oxford and Cambridge have always place great store by the interview, even before the days of grade inflation. Huge numbers of candidates who meet the required grades (both IB and A level) are rejected every year and, as others have said already, this is only a part of the process.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't know that. Any more input?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Oxford PPE with a predicted 44 and a personal statement that everyone said was excellent and got rejected pre-interview.

Contacted the admissions office and they told me, and I quote, "I have checked the tutors' records, which indicate that your TSA essay and test score were not at the highest level, and in a very competitive year, this is why they could not shortlist you for interview despite your excellent predicted grade"

So in essence, IB predicteds arent everything you need, you have to give them the full package cause every part of your application can let you down and cost you a place.

Do well on your tests (if you have to sit any) and nail the interview (confident and assertive but teachable is what theyre looking for), impress them with something original and that should do it.

Also, it hugely depends on the number of applications in a given year. 2009 entry was a nightmare all over the UK and I have seen real brainiacs get outright rejected from even mediocre unis. Im reapplying to Oxford for 2010 so fingers crossed that the crisis has taken its toll on application numbers.

Anyway, good luck to all of us

ReputationRep:
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!! !! I still don't see how can they can justify inviting people with 3 As for interview but someone like yourself with a 44 do not get called on.

@VanillaLatte: did you get rejected before or after interview?

Also, some tutors I heard when I visited Oxford and Cambridge said they don't really pay much attention to the personal statements. So, applying for engineering (where there is no exam or work to be submitted), you may be assessed solely on grades (which no matter how high dont seem to be enough) and personal statement? (before interview, of course)

ReputationRep:
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!! !! I still don't see how can they can justify inviting people with 3 As for interview but someone like yourself with a 44 do not get called on.

@VanillaLatte: did you get rejected before or after interview?

Also, some tutors I heard when I visited Oxford and Cambridge said they don't really pay much attention to the personal statements. So, applying for engineering (where there is no exam or work to be submitted), you may be assessed solely on grades (which no matter how high dont seem to be enough) and personal statement? (before interview, of course)

after ... and only extra things which distinguished my application for cambridge to the other unis were school essays they requested me to send them and the interview ... so guess that mada a significant difference as with my "normal" ucas application i got accepted to lse and all my other choices ...

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiosity, in your opinion, when applying to other unis (not oxbridge) is it all about grades? personal statement must count somewhat and references too, but without interview or work handed in it must be almost purely based on grades

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiosity, in your opinion, when applying to other unis (not oxbridge) is it all about grades? personal statement must count somewhat and references too, but without interview or work handed in it must be almost purely based on grades
    well, depends where u aplly ... unis like lse, ucl etc. usually just get aplicants who are uquite strong academically, and i that case personal statement is really imprtant ... friend of mine who had redicted 43 still got rejected fom lse ..

ReputationRep:
    But how much can a personal statement really say? How can 4000 characters allow them to confidently decide who the best candidates are?

ReputationRep:
    I just came across this - http://www.oxbridgeinterviews.co.uk/ Is it any good? Is it worth the cash?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.