Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i dunno about the one you found, but this one http://www.oxbridgeapplications.com/ helps you immensely if, unlike me, you do end up getting an interview. they have a lot of people there who are in some way associated with the admissions office and they get you as prepared as possible for the interview, even going into details like the way youre supposed to sit and maintain eye contact etc. some of them are ex-admissions tutors so when they tell you what to do, you know its straight from the horses mouth, and my friends who did get an interview said that the interview weekend at oxbridge apps was worth every penny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony2DaMax)
    But how much can a personal statement really say? How can 4000 characters allow them to confidently decide who the best candidates are?
    The personal statement isn't that important. An excellent set of grades and a decent (not necessarily anything special) personal statement/reference will probably get you an interview. Any entrance exams or written work will also carry a lot of weight, but it depends on the subject whether they'll ask for that.

I just came across this - http://www.oxbridgeinterviews.co.uk/ Is it any good? Is it worth the cash?
    I really wouldn't bother. Some of the advice I've seen attributed to them is extremely dodgy, and you can probably get better info just on these forums.

ReputationRep:
    There was this person from my school who was predicted 45/45 points, applied to Cambridge and got rejected pre-interview. Another person was predicted 41-43 points and was rejected as well. the admissions office told us that the personal statements were too "weak".

Moral of the story: yes the personal statement does matter. For anyone serious about applying to somewhere like Oxbridge, better to play the game safe and make every part of the application as flawless as possible. Even then, nothing's guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that the personal statement must matter somewhat, but to reject someone with a perfect score in the IB is ludicrous, especially pre-interview. Don't Cambridge interview 90% of candidates anyway???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony2DaMax)
    I understand that the personal statement must matter somewhat, but to reject someone with a perfect score in the IB is ludicrous, especially pre-interview. Don't Cambridge interview 90% of candidates anyway???
    Being predicted 44/45 points for the IB is not quite the same as being someone "with a perfect score in the IB", is it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see what you mean

ReputationRep:
    well, still, i agree with tony2damax, rejecting someone without giving them a chance to present themselves at an interview is just a low blow, especially if they got a perfect predicted score.

what about if someone got 45 on their exams, dyou reckon they would really care about their personal statement and references? cause its one thing applying with predicted grades and another applying after you get your results, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    i dunno about it being ludicrous...it was harsh, but she was applying for law, and saying that's a pretty competitive course is like saying the sun isn't hot in the tropics. Apparently, she didn't mention the fact that she wanted to do law......guess our school isn't exactly good at PS's. I think she got into every Ivy League school she applied to, though On the brighter side, somebody with 44/45 was accepted (conditional offer) from our school. and yes, Cam does interview 90% of candidates, but I think they interview less international students.

what about if someone got 45 on their exams, dyou reckon they would really care about their personal statement and references? cause its one thing applying with predicted grades and another applying after you get your results, what do you think?
    It is different...I think the PS and references would perhaps matter a little less in that case, but the fact that Oxbridge still asks for personal statements from students who already have their results, means the admissions officers expect you to write a decent statement anyway. Don't know how it actually goes though...just what seems more logical to me...

ReputationRep:
    predicted grades dont matter as long as you are above 40 points. wellthey do like higher predicted but from what i've seen from university admissions is that they distrust the predicteds a lot.

some schools tend to inflate it, and some deflate it.
    So they'd rather put a lot of emphasis on PS/interview instead.

And i was predicted 41. got a bit less :p:
    This happens a lot, and the unis know it.

ReputationRep:
    I am under the impression that the interviews are more important than predicted grades, even for IB students.

My girlfriend and I both applied to Oxford, and I would say our personal statements were equally good. We also had similar predicted grades (I had one or two points higher). I felt my interviews went great, whilst she felt that her interviews could have gone better. In the end I got an offer and she was rejected.

ReputationRep:
    It's really hard to tell whether your interview went well or not. I've talked to numerous oxonians and most of them said that there's an unspoken rule that if you think you kicked ass at your interview, chances are the tutors thought differently. It's the ones where you get verbally raped and intellectually violated that are the good interviews - if you feel that you screwed it up, it's likely that the tutors just pushed you to your limits, something they do only to the best candidates.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.