Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to receive loan payments early? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am studying in London, but I am moving into a flat at the beginning of September with my boyfriend and I spoke to my LA and they said you could possibly receive your loan payments earlier if you contacted Student Finance England (I was on hold for so long earlier, I gave up). Has anyone been able to do this? Is there any sort of bridging grant or something to help before you actually receive your loan?
    I am moving at the beginning of the month as it is more convenient, but it is a shame that you don't receive your money straight away, as I'm sure lots of other people move in to flats/house shares before the first day of their course (not even counting fees or deposit costs on flats via estate agents).

I have transferred courses and I'm entering Year 2 of the course, therefore I haven't actually been able to enroll on my course yet, so they may not let me receive any money until I start.

I have received around £1500 less maintenance support than other people as my parents earn a fair bit combined, which I feel is quite unfair as they do not give me any money or support. I can hopefully get an access to learning fund from my uni when I start if I show them my financial situation.

If anyone has any information it would be very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Far as I'm aware, you get it when the Uni has acknowledged you signing on for the course. Tbh, you'll be lucky if you get in on time, let alone early.

ReputationRep:
    Most people just have to use their overdraft and then their loan will pay off their overdraft facility

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's very likely to be honest.

Mainly because Student Finance England are the most inept organisation there is. With those morons on the case you'll be lucky to get any money at all, let alone early.

If this was the first year of organising student loans then I could cut them some slack, but how many years have they had to get it right now?

ReputationRep:
    I will be using my overdraft but it will actually put me at the brink, leaving little space for food or anything until my loan arrives. This is because I have had to pay for an agency fee, as well as advance rent, which is fine because I won't have to pay the next months rent until the beginning of October, and I will have my loan then.

I may try and ring them at some point to see if there is ANY chance of getting it sooner, but I suppose they have a system and do it all on the same day for everyone.

It would be nice if there was a booster bursary to help people out.

The loan limit with in London seems very small for the actual living costs in London. I understand that you could just live in halls, however the ones I would have to go in I stayed in a few times last year and they are dire, and all of the other halls are too far away and on par with the prices of sharing a flat.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is unlikely. However, you should be able to get an emergancy loan from the hardship fund at your university. These are repayable, but can be used to cover short-term expenses until your loan comes through. Contact the Advice Centre at your university for more details.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.