Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I break up with my boyfriend? Watch

Hey everyone,

basically for a while i've not felt right with boyfriend, i havent felt the way i used to about him. we've been going out for over 2 years now, as well as a while before that (Big ugly mess involving him going out with someone else, long story) so i've basically been with him about 3 years. But now i feel like he just annoys me all the time, not for any specific reason, he just does. an ive found myself flirting with and fancying other people.

He is technically perfect my boyfriend, he does all the right things, he buys me things all the time, he says all the right things, he gets on with my family and he's always saying things like i'm his world and he wants to be with me forever (which scares me slightly).

But i feel like i'm too young to be in a serious relationship, but i've kinda left it too late for it to not be serious. i'm only 18, so ive been in love with this guy since i was 15.

i dont know what to do, as far as he knows everything is perfect, an like i sed, technically it is, but i just cant help feeling miserable sometimes. Am i just being really stupid and selfish? i dunno, someone please help.

thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Sometimes I feel the same way, however, I am happy. I think when I see other men it's more lust and they aren't the kind of people that I want a long term relationship with or could trust.

When I look at my boyfriend I know I can trust him and I know he will always be faithful. The men I lust after would not be able to offer me that and so I know that in the long run I am better off sticking with my boyfriend and working at our relationship.

I have also been with him since I was 15, and we're great together and I see a future with him. Sometimes I do wish I could go out as a single woman and do whatever, however, what I have in a relationship outweighs all that.

I hope you come to the right conclusion, but don't break up with your boyfriend for the wrong reasons. If you're happy with him stay, if you're not then go, but don't leave just so you can sleep around as he probably won't be there for you once you've had your fun.

Take Care xx

ReputationRep:
    So he doesnt do anything wrong and hes perfect but you want to break up with him.What a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sssdeol1)
    So he doesnt do anything wrong and hes perfect but you want to break up with him.What a *****
    are you SERIOUSLY surprised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey everyone,

basically for a while i've not felt right with boyfriend, i havent felt the way i used to about him. we've been going out for over 2 years now, as well as a while before that (Big ugly mess involving him going out with someone else, long story) so i've basically been with him about 3 years. But now i feel like he just annoys me all the time, not for any specific reason, he just does. an ive found myself flirting with and fancying other people.

He is technically perfect my boyfriend, he does all the right things, he buys me things all the time, he says all the right things, he gets on with my family and he's always saying things like i'm his world and he wants to be with me forever (which scares me slightly).

But i feel like i'm too young to be in a serious relationship, but i've kinda left it too late for it to not be serious. i'm only 18, so ive been in love with this guy since i was 15.

i dont know what to do, as far as he knows everything is perfect, an like i sed, technically it is, but i just cant help feeling miserable sometimes. Am i just being really stupid and selfish? i dunno, someone please help.

thank you x
    im just going to give you my opinion.

Get rid.

He doesnt excite you anymore. thats why your attracted to other people. he buys you things all the time because he is insecure and he feels deep down that you are too good for him, although he might not admit it. your not being stupid or selfish, you cant help how you feel. go and have fun while your young!

oh and if you do decide to finish him make sure you go through with it properly. my guess is that he will be massively more devistated than you about it. like you say he thinks everything is fine. dont decide that after a few weeks or months that you would like to see him just one last time. this is bad. it will **** him in the head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    are you SERIOUSLY surprised?
    Not really,my gf broke up with me a couple of weeks ago for no reason.When i asked her if i had done something to hurt her she was like 'no its just me'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sssdeol1)
    Not really,my gf broke up with me a couple of weeks ago for no reason.When i asked her if i had done something to hurt her she was like 'no its just me'
    Typical

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your stupid or selfish. i think its natural to question things and since u've been with him since you were 15 you're just curious to know what else is out there. i think maybe talk to him about it or at least take a break till you figure out what it is that you want - you might find that you actually do like him in that way when you don't feel obligated to be with him.

ReputationRep:
    Typical
    I'm loving this insight into the conversation of guys :p:

And OP, honestly that's a bit ridiculous! Just because you're feeling a bit bored doesn't mean you have to resort to breaking up with him when he's done nothing wrong. You just need to make the current relationship more exciting - visit places together, do things you haven't tried before - basically just have fun! And appreciate what you have, girl :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieg33)
    I'm loving this insight into the conversation of guys :p:
    :p:
    1st thing came to mind: what you chattin about girl.
    2nd thing: yorkie wrapper.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    From what you've written it sounds to me like you want to be told to finish with your boyfriend, to help you justify it to yourself. He may be a great guy but you're obviously not 100% happy. No one else can tell you whether to stay with him or not, but if you’re questioning your relationship I think that might tell you all you need to know. You don't have to look for the opinions of other people to justify breaking up with him; your feelings and your knowledge of your own happiness should be enough.

ReputationRep:
    1st thing came to mind: what you chattin about girl.
    2nd thing: yorkie wrapper.

:rolleyes:
    And now an insight into how hilarious guys can be too - lucky me! :p:

ReputationRep:
    And now an insight into how hilarious guys can be too - lucky me! :p:
    Should i be offended??

ReputationRep:
    Should i be offended??
    No, don't worry

It actually took me quite a while to remember the Yorkie slogan, and then when I finally understood I was just like "ohhhh...so why post it on a forum where girls can read it then?" Haha, pwnnnned :p:

So basically your a little bored of him, and sort of finding an excuse to resent him for some reason?

Well it entirly your decision at the end of the day. I personally think you should try and work on it and see what happens. But then if you feel like your too young for a serious relationship and your absoluly sure thats what you want theres no point being with him.

I can sort of relate to you a little bit, I've been with my bf for 20 months (which is long for me) and on the odd occasion I find he annoys me for no reason, or that I'm bored of doing the same thing all the time. I also so miss being single, but when I think abut it, I'd much rather be with him than be single because he makes me so happy, we get on so well and we have no problems with the relationship.

Like I said at the end of the day its your decision. To help you why not make a list of pros and cons of staying with him, or try having a nice night out or in (or both) with eachother, something you don't usually do. Do go on some sort of adventure and see how you feel then

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    No, don't worry

It actually took me quite a while to remember the Yorkie slogan, and then when I finally understood I was just like "ohhhh...so why post it on a forum where girls can read it then?" Haha, pwnnnned :p:
    lol haha it just didnt make alot of sense to me, but kinda sounded like something "pretty harsh"

okay again i lost you after "the Yorkie slogan", u confuse the ### out of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeal)
    Hey,

Sometimes I feel the same way, however, I am happy. I think when I see other men it's more lust and they aren't the kind of people that I want a long term relationship with or could trust.

When I look at my boyfriend I know I can trust him and I know he will always be faithful. The men I lust after would not be able to offer me that and so I know that in the long run I am better off sticking with my boyfriend and working at our relationship.

I have also been with him since I was 15, and we're great together and I see a future with him. Sometimes I do wish I could go out as a single woman and do whatever, however, what I have in a relationship outweighs all that.

I hope you come to the right conclusion, but don't break up with your boyfriend for the wrong reasons. If you're happy with him stay, if you're not then go, but don't leave just so you can sleep around as he probably won't be there for you once you've had your fun.

Take Care xx

I'd pretty much say exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    Flip a coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeal)
    Hey,

Take Care xx
    I agree.. if you do stay with him I'd say make sure it's what you want though, don't just stay with him cos you feel you should. You don't want to end up not looking forward to seeing him and trying to start arguments or anything, cos that'll only end up in a messy break up. I think you just need to be honest with him. Also try and remember what originally attracted you to him.
    I also find that everytime I change something about myself, like my hair colour or something, it makes me feel different about myself so it's like a new start in all aspects of my life. And the compliments he gives me are nice too of course

Hope this helps you make the right decision x

ReputationRep:
    He might be perfect, but not that right guy for you, someone once said he likes his gf for her qualities and her faults he finds them endeering. Sounds to me like youve just become complacent and perhaps need to try and change the routine.
    No offence to you OP most girls flirt with other guys, just ask yourself are you flirting because you are bored with the relationship, or if the guy is no longer what you want and hes just become a friend as opposed to something more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.