Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, since I got an UG offer from Cambridge and didn't meet it (despite getting 4 A's anyway) I always wanted to go back to Oxbridge for a PhD. Unfortunately, I start to have doubts I will even be considered.

I'm currently doing Biomedical Science at Imperial. If everything goes well, I will graduate with an MSci in two years time. The only problem is, my results this year were far from good. Currently, my overall grade isn't even a 2.1. Now, I'm convinced that I can bring it up to a good 2.1 or even a 1st (although that would be very difficult right now), but I'm not sure Cambridge will like it.

I suppose that my strength is my MSci (many people will only have a BSc, right?) and the fact that I'm at a good uni right now. I'm not sure if the fact that I got accepted before and then got rejected is a good thing. I also feel quite good with the interviews, but again - will I ever get an interview?

I am quite depressed about the whole situation and my results this year - I am worried that they could ruin my future career. Is there any hope for me?

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't people usually have a Master's before a PhD, or am I just a n00b?
    If you get a 2:1, I'm sure you'll be considered, but what do you actually want to research, and is that a speciality of either Oxford or Cambridge? There's no point spending years doing research on something you find incredibly tedious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XmaX)
    So, since I got an UG offer from Cambridge and didn't meet it (despite getting 4 A's anyway) I always wanted to go back to Oxbridge for a PhD. Unfortunately, I start to have doubts I will even be considered.

I'm currently doing Biomedical Science at Imperial. If everything goes well, I will graduate with an MSci in two years time. The only problem is, my results this year were far from good. Currently, my overall grade isn't even a 2.1. Now, I'm convinced that I can bring it up to a good 2.1 or even a 1st (although that would be very difficult right now), but I'm not sure Cambridge will like it.

I suppose that my strength is my MSci (many people will only have a BSc, right?) and the fact that I'm at a good uni right now. I'm not sure if the fact that I got accepted before and then got rejected is a good thing. I also feel quite good with the interviews, but again - will I ever get an interview?

I am quite depressed about the whole situation and my results this year - I am worried that they could ruin my future career. Is there any hope for me?
    i thought generally you do a masters before postgrad...?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    Depends on the subject. As far as I know it's not uncommon for people with sciency undegraduate master's degrees to go straight to a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Depends on the subject. As far as I know it's not uncommon for people with sciency undegraduate master's degrees to go straight to a PhD.
    I think he is talking about this:

(Original post by XmaX)
    I suppose that my strength is my MSci (many people will only have a BSc, right?) and the fact that I'm at a good uni right now. I'm not sure if the fact that I got accepted before and then got rejected is a good thing. I also feel quite good with the interviews, but again - will I ever get an interview

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what was your offer for UG at Cambridge? You got 4 A's!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    It is not essential especially in the sciences.

An Msci will mean you have more of a chance. What they will look at is what you have done for your project/disertation so make sure it is good! If you get an interview alot will focus around it anyway. Make sure you get decent references for Oxbridge however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoch)
    It is not essential especially in the sciences.

An Msci will mean you have more of a chance. What they will look at is what you have done for your project/disertation so make sure it is good! If you get an interview alot will focus around it anyway. Make sure you get decent references for Oxbridge however.
    Can you do a PhD with just a BSc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    Can you do a PhD with just a BSc?
    Yes thats what im doing and I have industry funding. It basically means funding is difficult to get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoch)
    Yes thats what im doing and I have industry funding. It basically means funding is difficult to get
    Cool, I didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    Cool, I didn't know that.
    Its always worth applying i got accepted to Durham with funding but Trinity College Dublin gave me the place but with no funding so I had to apply to the Irish Government and they didn't want to know but it seems an Msci or Msc would have changed thier mind. Hence its varible. The OU rejected me straight away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoch)
    Its always worth applying i got accepted to Durham with funding but Trinity College Dublin gave me the place but with no funding so I had to apply to the Irish Government and they didn't want to know but it seems an Msci or Msc would have changed thier mind. Hence its varible. The OU rejected me straight away!
    I was thinking of doing an MSci in case I decided to go into research but if I don't, I don't see the point of doing the extra year since it will simply mean that I will get into more debt. How hard is it to get funding if you only have a BSc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    Just out of interest, what was your offer for UG at Cambridge? You got 4 A's!!!
    Yeah how did you get rejected? Or did you have to take STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    I was thinking of doing an MSci in case I decided to go into research but if I don't, I don't see the point of doing the extra year since it will simply mean that I will get into more debt. How hard is it to get funding if you only have a BSc?
    Msci's are a good idea as they are funded my the government where as an msc isn't.

Funding is purely dependant on the subject and the topic. for instance mine is in Geology but in Volcanology where you cannot do a specific Msc and not many (if any) do research masters in it.

It then depends on the department. Industry funding in Science is easier to get than a school scholarship in Geology. This is because there are alot of palaeontologists working on large vertibrates which do not have much commerical intrest although the research is important.

Sorry for stealing the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    Yeah how did you get rejected? Or did you have to take STEP?
    You could find out by looking at my old posts Basically, I did 6 A-Levels, my offer was AAAA in any of the five. I got 3 As in those, and another one in the subject they (understandably) didn't care about.

Also, I have another slight problem. Imperial phases out MSci's and offers all those registered for an MSci course a guaranteed entry for an MSc instead (it requires a 2.1 in years 1 and 2 which I don't have, but I might be able to persuade them to allow me to do this). In that way I would have a BSc and an MSc, which is much better. However, the funding is a problem for me - I basically live on student loans and maintanance grant, and that would be all gone if I decide on MSc instead. I could apply for funding but there's no guarantee I'll get, and then I'll end up with just an BSc. Tough choice :/

ReputationRep:
    Could you survive with a CDL etc if you went down the MSc route?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    Could you survive with a CDL etc if you went down the MSc route?
    Probably, but:
    1. I'm not sure I'll get it - I'm not a UK citizen, and technically, i'm not settled in UK (that's one of the requirements). Even if I was, I doubt it - Halifax refused to give me a student account, and I'm stuck with the most basic bank account.
    2. It is an actual loan - that I have to repay and with real interest, unlike the maintenance loan I'm receiving now.

Just out of interest, how important would my first degree be if I decide to do MSc after all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XmaX)
    Probably, but:

Just out of interest, how important would my first degree be if I decide to do MSc after all?
    Quite important and it will be looked at when you apply anywhere post an Msc anyway. T

o get onto a Msc minimum of a 2.2 (with exceptions and there are various threads outlining this) and you need a 2.2 in your first degree minimum then an Msc to get onto a PhD.

That said depending on what line or research you are in there maybe Msc funding avaible you have to check department websites for contact them directly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoch)
    Quite important and it will be looked at when you apply anywhere post an Msc anyway.
    Yeah, I meant if I decide to do a PhD. Obviously, my MSc grade would be more important in that case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XmaX)
    Yeah, I meant if I decide to do a PhD. Obviously, my MSc grade would be more important in that case?
    Yes basically but they will still look at your undergraduate degree and to be honest I dont know how much say Oxbridge consider it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.