Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love Maths, and either want to go into Accountancy or Teaching (2ndry school), I'm looking at doing a combined/dual honors degree in Maths and Accountancy.

If I do this, will I still be able to do a Teaching degree for Maths after Uni, or to become a teacher, does it have to be a single Maths degree?

Thanks

Also I'm confused in what combination to do, it's of course Maths, but then do I combine it with Accountancy, Finance or Economics...as the majority seems to be courses with Finance or Economics..there are only a few with Accountancy (Sheffield, Keele and Lancaster..look good so far)

TBH I don't know what the difference between Accountancy, Finance and Economics is? I have tried looking it up, but don't understand!

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine.. I went to Keele and I did Law with History and I'm going to me a primary teacher, I got onto my PGCE course so I wouldn't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    I think as long as 50% of your degree is in the subject you'll be teaching, you're ok. Have you checked the TDA website?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you even need a degree to teach, as long as you do the teaching course. I know someone who failed their degree and is going straight into teaching and doing the teaching qualification at the same time. They're desperate for teachers and will take anyone.

ReputationRep:
    as already stated you need 50% + of your intended subject to teach the subject, a joint degree would be fine.

and you need an accountancy qualification to do accounting such as those offered by aat ... ect, but some degrees like business or accounting may offer exemptions from some of these...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    I don't think you even need a degree to teach, as long as you do the teaching course. I know someone who failed their degree and is going straight into teaching and doing the teaching qualification at the same time. They're desperate for teachers and will take anyone.

Ermmm this is unbelievably wrong.

There has been a MASSIVE influx of people wanting to become teachers because of the credit crunch.. and I don't think it's been harder to get on a course than atm.. at my uni over 5000 people applied for 200 places.

I don't think they're 'taking anyone'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Ermmm this is unbelievably wrong.

There has been a MASSIVE influx of people wanting to become teachers because of the credit crunch.. and I don't think it's been harder to get on a course than atm.. at my uni over 5000 people applied for 200 places.

I don't think they're 'taking anyone'
    What you're saying isn't wrong, that the course is oversubscribed, I know that a lot of people have been applying to do the course as the government is offering people nine thousand pounds as an incentive to do it. But, they're still short of teachers, and are taking on poorly qualified people to teach in schools. A lot of people who are doing the course have no intention to become teachers, and are doing it so they have something to do for a year instead of getting a job. There is still a shortage of teachers, even though the courses are oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum taught History with a degree in English Literature and Chemistry :/ my old tutor was an Environmental Science teacher with a degree in Geography, and she now teaches Maths.

I know at least one maths teacher with an engineering degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emmaxoxo)
    I love Maths, and either want to go into Accountancy or Teaching (2ndry school), I'm looking at doing a combined/dual honors degree in Maths and Accountancy.

If I do this, will I still be able to do a Teaching degree for Maths after Uni, or to become a teacher, does it have to be a single Maths degree?

Thanks

Also I'm confused in what combination to do, it's of course Maths, but then do I combine it with Accountancy, Finance or Economics...as the majority seems to be courses with Finance or Economics..there are only a few with Accountancy (Sheffield, Keele and Lancaster..look good so far)

TBH I don't know what the difference between Accountancy, Finance and Economics is? I have tried looking it up, but don't understand!
    Maths and accountancy is absolutely fine.

Here is an extract from the UEA Secondary Mathematics PGCE website:

"Degree Content

During recent years we have offered places to candidates with diverse degree backgrounds:

Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics
    Accounting and Financial Analysis
    Astronomy and Physics
    Biomolecular Science
    Building Services Engineering
    Business Management
    Business Studies
    Business Studies and Finance
    Computer Systems Engineering
    Economics
    Economics with Sport Studies
    Engineering
    Experimental Psychology
    Industrial Management
    Knowledge Extraction; Statistics and Mathematics
    Mathematical Sciences
    Mathematics
    Mathematics with Astronomy
    Mathematics with Business Administration
    Mathematics with Music
    Mathematics with Psychology
    Mechanical Engineering
    Philosophy with Mathematics
    Production Engineering & Management
    Statistics

NB: This is not an exhaustive list!!"

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack but does this 50% rule always apply?
    For example, my university offers the possibility of taking a 'minor' subject which makes up a third of your modules and a 'major' subject which is two thirds.
    If I were to take up a minor in a foreign language (I also have several other languages at various levels) would it be possible to teach it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lowrax)
    For example, my university offers the possibility of taking a 'minor' subject which makes up a third of your modules and a 'major' subject which is two thirds.
    If I were to take up a minor in a foreign language (I also have several other languages at various levels) would it be possible to teach it?
    You train to teach, not teach a subject. You can teach anything you like once you have QTS (assuming someone will employ you to do so).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You train to teach, not teach a subject. You can teach anything you like once you have QTS (assuming someone will employ you to do so).

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    I know at least one maths teacher with an engineering degree.
    But that's not such a big deal.

It would be if a Law student were teaching maths

(Original post by Ben77mc)
    But that's not such a big deal.

It would be if a Law student were teaching maths
    That's the point. If engineering isn't a big deal, then neither is a joint-honours maths degree and hence the OP will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    That's the point. If engineering isn't a big deal, then neither is a joint-honours maths degree and hence the OP will be fine.
    Yeah.
    There's a teacher at my school who does both maths and physics, so OP should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    if it's less than 50% then no. however different institutions would look at your case and decide that way. There's not a shortage for MFL teachers (i think anyway..) so it'll be a lot harder getting onto a PGCE with less than 50% of your degree in it.
    IMO anyway.

ReputationRep:
    the issue is more whether you will get a job teaching math with a low content math degree, yet, this is the route i intend to enter teaching math actually, and having two subject can be advantagous cos u can teach two things as apposed to one and u stillhave the knowlede in both to teach at ks3/4
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lee_91)
    the issue is more whether you will get a job teaching math with a low content math degree
    The OP would be absolutely no difficulty getting a job with that background. Most mathematics teachers in this country do not have a degree in mathematics. In fact, a very significant number do not even have an A Level in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    As Mr M has pointed out, there is such a shortage of maths teachers they are allowing people who have done courses like economics and accountancy (amongst other degrees which weren't maths) to teach the subject.

With a degree in maths and accountancy you will have schools grabbing at your ankles to employ you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.