Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I'm basically through my first year of college, just waiting for my results, although I don't really think I've done particularly well.
    I've really hated my first year of A Levels. It's not like I can't handle the workload, or that I don't have enough dedication to my subjects. It's just that my college is attached to a secondary school (my old school in fact), and I can't deal with what feels like another year of secondary school.
    I want to go to drama school, however I'm being realistic, and will probably end up doing a university course in musical theatre instead. Which has lead me to thinking about how useful academic qualifications are going to be once I leave.
    I've been offered a place at another college to go do a Btec in Musical Theatre, which is what I really want to do. But I'm worried about dropping A Levels half way through.

Does anyone have any experience/guidance they can share with me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyinPig)
    Hi everyone.

I'm basically through my first year of college, just waiting for my results, although I don't really think I've done particularly well.
    I've really hated my first year of A Levels. It's not like I can't handle the workload, or that I don't have enough dedication to my subjects. It's just that my college is attached to a secondary school (my old school in fact), and I can't deal with what feels like another year of secondary school.
    I want to go to drama school, however I'm being realistic, and will probably end up doing a university course in musical theatre instead. Which has lead me to thinking about how useful academic qualifications are going to be once I leave.
    I've been offered a place at another college to go do a Btec in Musical Theatre, which is what I really want to do. But I'm worried about dropping A Levels half way through.

I aint personally in this situation but my friend is doing exactly the same as what you are doing.

He does AS levels but he wants to do a BTEC in ICT with AS maths running alongside it because he wants to go down a different route into uni and emplyoment.

If its gonna benefit you then go for it. As long as it gets you where you need to go. :yes:

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that's easy to get isn't worth having.

I would encourage you to at least wait until results day to see how you've done. If there is any way you think you can recover your grades (through resits or whatever), then keep doing A Levels - it's hard work, but it'll pay off.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

From what I've heard the BTEC Performing Arts is really good, I know its not the one you're doing but they're probably similar. And as there are so many practical things to it like putting on big productions it'll give you more experience of acting. I know two people doing a BTEC who have got into Liverpool Institue of Perfornming Arts..
    About dropping A Levels if you have been unhappy doing them then maybe you should drop them and do something that you would be happy with!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I was in the same situation as you, however my parents refused to let me drop out of my A Levels. Looking back, for me it was the right decision - if no-one wants a person with a musical theatre degree, I want English, German and Theatre Studies qualifications to all back on. However, for you it may not be the right decision.
    On the subject of MT degrees, however, I auditioned for a musical theatre degree at uni (Chichester), and that's what I'm off to do come September. It's the 2nd year of the course, but already is really popular - this year, we are told, over 500 people applied for only around 40 places. It's worth a try auditioning at universities for the same course as well as drama schools, as back-up.
    If you want to know anything about the course at Chichester, I can do my best to let you know It really is basically a drama school course in a university setting, for university prices - fantastic value for money!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.