Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just finished the old a level specification (Edexcel) in maths, chemistry and physics.

I think I done really bad and need to do one year resit.

But now they doing the new specification.
    Does any one know how smooth the transition from old to new spec?
    How much has changed?

Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrboo10)
    I just finished the old a level specification (Edexcel) in maths, chemistry and physics.

I think I done really bad and need to do one year resit.

But now they doing the new specification.
    Does any one know how smooth the transition from old to new spec?
    How much has changed?

Thanx
    You could ask your teachers because I doubt anyone on here will have experienced both specifications... they will have done one or the other! However can you resit with the new specifications as the exams will be different? For example I think they have changed the number of modules in some subjects. There may not be the same exam available for you to resit...? You will probably need to look this up, ask your teachers or look on the exam board web site.

ReputationRep:
    i just retook a 3rd year of a levels and many subjects had already changed to the new spec. exam boards are aware of this and for people doing retakes they still produce the old spec paper.

i had to retake politics this year (people at my college we're doing the new spec) while i made sure the exams board put me in for the old spec for exams. this was the same in geography.

what you should do is wait for your results, and then ring up your college and ask. speak to the exams board as they will definately know.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about Edexcel but for CCEA, they've got old spec resits papers running in January 2010 for those who need to resit from the last year (this year) of the old spec.

I imagine there's a similar sort of set-up for all the exam boards as it'd be unfair for candidates not to have an opportunity to resit the same spec papers.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel are definitely offering old spec A2 papers in January 2010 but NOT AS.
    This is the last confirmed chance for resits so talk to your exams officer if you need to do them (there is no guarantee that your school/college will make the papers available for sitting so you might need to find somewhere else).

Timetable: http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/

There is little difference between old and new spec Maths. Some stuff taken out of D1 and some reorganisation of the FP units.
    I can't comment on the other subjects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.