Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering whether people who had braces never wore their retainers afterwards and now their teeth have moved back to there original places.

I had them but never wore my retainers. Now I regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Best to wear your retainers.

I only had to them wear them in the night though :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have never had braces (or fillings, or any work done on my teeth) because my teeth are perfect :awesome:

But my sister had braces and she had to wear retainers afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    I have clear retainers that I only wear when I sleep at night- if I forget one night my teeth really noticably move so I tend to stick with wearing themevery night- I would hate to have my old "state of mouth" back again!!!

Worse for me. I wore the retainer all the time after my first set of braces.

3 years down the line my teeth moved back - and now I'm on my second set of braces.

ReputationRep:
    I was meant to stop wearing retainers a few months ago, but I still wear them every other night. I think I might even pay for new ones if they crack since I want my teeth to stay nice.

ReputationRep:
    i had braces and had to wear those clear retainers at night, but i didn't bother cos by the time i brushed my teeth and had my shower i was so sleepy and just didn't a crap and now they've moved a but and it hurts so much to get them in argh

ReputationRep:
    i had to wear retainers before my braces

ReputationRep:
    I had retainers but didnt wear them because they hurt. It hasn't really affected me that much but I never know.

ReputationRep:
    I sat on my retainers and broke them soon after getting them. My teeth have slightly gone back (by 'gone back' the gap in my front teeth has reappeared slightly - that was the only 'problem').

ReputationRep:
    I wore retainers before and after having fixed braces. I now where my retainer at night, but probably not as much as I should. I'm definitely going to keep wearing it though as one of my friends who stopped wearing retainers has had to have fixed braces again. The retainers do feel sore sometimes though, like my teeth have started to move!

ReputationRep:
    I wore mine for about a year and haven't worn it for months, its too painful to wear now though! My teeth have moved slightly but they are nowhere near as bad as they were.

ReputationRep:
    I had a fixed brace and have had a retainer for about 2 years now; wore it for the 1st year every night, now I'm down to once or twice a week as the orthodentist recommended. My teeth do move slightly if I don't wear it, but I think if you reduce usage slowly I think you can 'train' your teeth to stay in position. I forgot to take my retainer on holiday for a week; it was a bit tight when I got back but not as bad as aI thought it would be.

That said, I've got friends who have never worn the retainer and their teeth are fine. Just depends on your specific treatment; I think they move back more if you had a gap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I sat on my retainers and broke them soon after getting them. My teeth have slightly gone back (by 'gone back' the gap in my front teeth has reappeared slightly - that was the only 'problem').
    Thats exactley what has happend to me - broke them, didn't wear them, now i have a small gap. But is been about 2 years since i've had braces and all is fine now

ReputationRep:
    I had to wear retainers and I can feel that my teeth have moved back, but you can't see it. I might pay for clear braces when I start working though if it gets any worse.

ReputationRep:
    I wore my retainers for 2 years after my braces had been taken out. When I went to Uni, I didn't bother for weeks, and now they've moved a tiny bit, so it hurts to put the retainers on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.