Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone feel like some songs today are really meaningless? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course, this is very subjective but I feel that some (not all) songs today are composed from a random string of words put to a catchy beat. For example, the song 'Jizz in my pants' doesn't even have much meaning to it. The whole song's about a guy, you guessed it, jizzing in his pants.

Why couldn't we have more artists that can write good meaningful songs that also sound good? Oasis and The Fray are to name but two.
    *rant over :rolleyes: *
    But then again, that's only my opinion. What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    For example, the song 'Jizz in my pants' doesn't even have much meaning to it. The whole song's about a guy, you guessed it, jizzing in his pants.
    But it's not meant to be deep or meaningful. It's a comedy band, they make funny songs. The song is funny. Thus it's successful.

I mean, it's always been the case that there's been a lot of turds in the music scene, but time has slowly removed them from our memories, leaving only the nuggets of gold.

You're defying your own hater free zoneship promises :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    You're defying your own hater free zoneship promises :naughty:
    Indian songs are pointless...go and listen to them...

(Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Indian songs are pointless...go and listen to them...
    :rofl: LOL, okay, i'm soo .. offended?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: OP I hope you know that "Jizz in my pants" was mean't to be funny and not have some kind of meaning.

If anything "Jizz in my pants" is a brilliant master piece which in some sense takes the piss out of everyday mainstream music.

"Open the window and a breeze rolls in
    And i Jizz in my pants" :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    :rofl: LOL, okay, i'm soo .. offended?
    my intention was never to offend....

ReputationRep:
    Most songs on the radio/music stations/charts are utter bilge.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. It's why I hate Lady Gaga so, so much. Talentless, meaningless drivel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I totally agree. It's why I hate Lady Gaga so, so much. Talentless, meaningless drivel.
    ^ agreeee,

oh, and who ever the 'kiss me through the phone' guy is.
    and soldier boy?

ugh

ReputationRep:
    Question:

why do songs need meaning in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Perfect example of a completely meaningless song: Alesha Dixon... that one about the boy never washing up.
    It is truly terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates_f)
    ^ agreeee,

oh, and who ever the 'kiss me through the phone' guy is.
    and soldier boy?

ugh
    100% agree
    they know people will buy their records because they are 'cool' , doesnt really matter what **** they sing

ReputationRep:
    The songs that are meaningless and sh*t are worse, e.g. La Roux. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree, nowadays songs are focused on the beat rather than the lyrics. Now songs are just made to produce the most amount of money and get the most time on air as opposed to producing musical masterpieces so to speak.. I just listened to The Verve's Lucky Man today and just remembered how awesome songs used to be back in the day! Good times :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Nyah, there will always be music that's just to entertain, not to send out a message. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it's just crap.

Listen to goth if you wanting meaning. Nothing deeper than that. They've stared into the abyss and then jizzed in their pants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celeste.)
    Perfect example of a completely meaningless song: Alesha Dixon... that one about the boy never washing up.
    It is truly terrible.
    That song actually has a point. Not a very good one, but it has one.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you must hate classical music!

ReputationRep:
    Three words : Boom boom pow.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly could not give a toss if a song has a meaning or not. If it sounds good, ill listen to it. I cant say I ever listen really carefully to lyrics, I dare say most people are probably the same.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.