Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone feel like some songs today are really meaningless? Watch

ReputationRep:
    By and large, Bloc Party's lyrics are generally evocative and have some element of meaningful depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Wow, you must hate classical music!
    Wow, you must know very little about classical music

Just because music doesn't have words doesn't mean there is no meaning!

The worst band for this are Sum 41. They pick ambiguous lines that could apply to any possible situation, so long as they rhyme.

This was the main reason they were my favourite band when I was like, 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Beatles)
    We all live in a Yellow Submarine

Yeah, it's definitely just modern songs that don't make sense.

(Original post by Travis)
    ...and what's a Wonderwall anyway?...

ReputationRep:
    God you all sound like those manky farts who only ever listen to indie bands who all sound the same. I personally think that today's modern world. The time for meaningful songs have long gone. Bring on all the Dizzee Rascals, Lady GaGas and all the Little Boots!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulkpull)
    Wow, you must know very little about classical music

Just because music doesn't have words doesn't mean there is no meaning!
    Oh, I know. But that's not always the case, is it? I know far more about classical music than you might think. Music is not always about the expression of sentiment or 'emotion'. In the late 18th century, the idea of music for the sake of music came about and gained immense popularity. Just look at the Haydn symphonies. They might not have an explicit meaning or program, but they're hella good to listen to! Beethoven too! (mostly, anyway )

ReputationRep:
    I'm Henry the Eighth I am! Henry the Eighth I am I am! I got married to the widow next door, she's been married seven times before - and everyone was an' Henry - she wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam. I'm her eighth old man I'm Henry, Henry the Eighth I am!

What a pointless yet great song

ReputationRep:
    Well, while "jizz in my pants" isn't exactly the epitome of high brow, it's certainly funny. So yes, it has a meaning - a comedic one. I think all songs have a meaning of some kind, depending on your interpretation. The problem with modern music in my opinion isn't that it is "meaningless" in the strictest sense but rather than the meaning is often highly unoriginal or rather pointless, and is secondary to the economics of it. Popular music is a business not an art, and that is very very unfortunate. I'd rather people grew up being exposed to Bach than to whoever is the latest "pop" sensation. People are rewarded for mediocrity and for appealing to the lowest common denominator, which just furthers the problem. Money is the root of most evils in today's society unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ft194)
    Well, while "jizz in my pants" isn't exactly the epitome of high brow, it's certainly funny. So yes, it has a meaning - a comedic one. I think all songs have a meaning of some kind, depending on your interpretation. The problem with modern music in my opinion isn't that it is "meaningless" in the strictest sense but rather than the meaning is often highly unoriginal or rather pointless, and is secondary to the economics of it. Popular music is a business not an art, and that is very very unfortunate. I'd rather people grew up being exposed to Bach than to whoever is the latest "pop" sensation. People are rewarded for mediocrity and for appealing to the lowest common denominator, which just furthers the problem. Money is the root of most evils in today's society unfortunately.
    The fact that Bach wrote to commission notwithstanding, obviously...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Question:

why do songs need meaning in the first place?

I know and I love how no one answered your question. Why does music have to be deep and meaningful, if it is entertaining then it is doing its job.

There is enough space in this world for deep profound music as well as music that just makes you want to dance.

ReputationRep:
    loloasis.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I know. But that's not always the case, is it? I know far more about classical music than you might think. Music is not always about the expression of sentiment or 'emotion'. In the late 18th century, the idea of music for the sake of music came about and gained immense popularity. Just look at the Haydn symphonies. They might not have an explicit meaning or program, but they're hella good to listen to! Beethoven too! (mostly, anyway )
    I agree. I don't particularly feel that music has to have a meaning to be enjoyed. Depends a lot on my mood. Sometimes I just feel like something that I don't have to concentrate on, or there are other kinda of music that I can appreciate for the interesting composition or use of the instruments. I do find sometimes as well that music without any intended meaning can bring out emotion just from the music itself. I think it's all down to interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    Since when did a good song have to be deep? It's as much about the music itself as the lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    if there enjoyable and sound good who cares!

though in saying that some songs are stupid e.g. the Killers!! i mean what the fook are they going on about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1991)
    Three words : Boom boom pow.

A case in point! I agree that a lot of songs today don't have any real meaning.I like listening to them for 'fun' as in they are good to dance to and singalong but not much when I'm looking for meaning.I've started to go backwards in my music taste due to this ie listening to more 80s and 90s music.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that Bach wrote to commission notwithstanding, obviously...
    True, I'm not necessarily saying that everything produced for the sake of earning a living is bad, far from it. The reason something was written doesn't determine how good it will be, Bach case in point. Composers need to eat, too. The fact that people can make something for money but it still end up being good, is just an example of their skill. What I mmean that the direction music is taking NOW, is encouraging people to write things that AREN'T (in my opinion) as worthwhile as they could be. The music in the past, whether it was made to commission or not, in my opinion, was far more thought provoking and holds longer lasting appeal than the music that is produced on demand now.

I still think that if you remove the incentive of money, there would be far more "meaningful" art/music made. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with writing mediocre music if you need to do it to pay the rent, but more attention should be given to other forms of music because of their artistic appeal, not just how much money they can make. Unfortunately, since money is the driving force, theres no incentive for people to do this, which is what I meant (but failed at converying) by my original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ft194)
    True, I'm not necessarily saying that everything produced for the sake of earning a living is bad, far from it. The reason something was written doesn't determine how good it will be, Bach case in point. Composers need to eat, too. The fact that people can make something for money but it still end up being good, is just an example of their skill. What I mmean that the direction music is taking NOW, is encouraging people to write things that AREN'T (in my opinion) as worthwhile as they could be. The music in the past, whether it was made to commission or not, in my opinion, was far more thought provoking and holds longer lasting appeal than the music that is produced on demand now.

I still think that if you remove the incentive of money, there would be far more "meaningful" art/music made. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with writing mediocre music if you need to do it to pay the rent, but more attention should be given to other forms of music because of their artistic appeal, not just how much money they can make. Unfortunately, since money is the driving force, theres no incentive for people to do this, which is what I meant (but failed at converying) by my original post.
    Ah, thank you for being so cordial; my response was a bit snarky! :eek: But anyway, I think it's just a shift in music's role in society; things like the Church used to (forcibly?) bring in listeners, and so the thought-provoking aesthetic was popular. Now, music is really made largely to dance to, hence the emphasis often on rhythm. Also, I would be wary of blaming the artists entirely; record companies are harsh mistresses.

In response to the art music thing, there is plenty of meaningful art music being made, it's just that it happens to be atonal! Of course, this is a natural progression from early styles, but it has never been the most... popular of idioms. :P Some of it's not great, but there's some very profound modern classical being written, and I think society could gain a lot through having children listen to it from an early age; it would remove this divide we have between the 'typical layman' and classical music, and the polarization against atonal music.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thank you for being so cordial; my response was a bit snarky! :eek: But anyway, I think it's just a shift in music's role in society; things like the Church used to (forcibly?) bring in listeners, and so the thought-provoking aesthetic was popular. Now, music is really made largely to dance to, hence the emphasis often on rhythm. Also, I would be wary of blaming the artists entirely; record companies are harsh mistresses.

In response to the art music thing, there is plenty of meaningful art music being made, it's just that it happens to be atonal! Of course, this is a natural progression from early styles, but it has never been the most... popular of idioms. :P Some of it's not great, but there's some very profound modern classical being written, and I think society could gain a lot through having children listen to it from an early age; it would remove this divide we have between the 'typical layman' and classical music, and the polarization against atonal music.
    Lol no problem, I was worried I'd humiliated myself there, since my knowledge of classical isn't too vast, I just happen to enjoy it I agree with you that meaningful art & music is being made today - there certainly is plenty around, but it's a shame that it isn't given the same exposure as the "popular" music Kids grow up with the music that's popular and so often aren't aware there are much more deeply emotionally/intellectually satisfying genres out there, whether its classical or obscure heavy metal, which is a shame, not only does it prevent peoples potential enjoyment, but it prevents more people taking up composition and contributing, so it's great that we have the internet now for discovering these things

ReputationRep:
    most pop music is thin in actual meaning or message

if you're trying to find some deep meaning in something like the black eyed peas, you're wasting your time... just enjoy the catchy songs if you can

I think "I gotta feeling" is a GREAT pop song, but I know the lyrics aren't shakespeare or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    The songs that are meaningless and sh*t are worse, e.g. La Roux. :sigh:
    La Roux's songs aren't meaningless though, the whole album is about a relationship she was in for several years and her feelings throughout. Rather incomparable to songs such as Jizz in My Pants.

I don't think all songs should have to be deep & meaningful I mean Jizz in My Pants is a comedy song and it serves its purpose fine.
    I see where you're coming from though, a lot of songs do seem to be about really trivial things, though to be honest if something is catchy people will buy it regardless of the lyrics not everyone even bothers listening to the lyrics (sadly). I mean I have a friend who had no idea what Lily Allen's Not Fair was about because she doesn't listen to what people are actually singing. She thought the words were 'It's not fair, it's not easy being me.' :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.