Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Gym Routine - improvement help (weight loss help) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've been going to the gym for quite a while now, I joined in January after 6 months of no fitness. Prior to this since I was about 5 I had been doing a lot of training for tennis and swimming. In the 6 months I put on around a stone or a bit more in weight..

At the gym I have a routine of:

gentle warm up
    9km on the treadmill
    2km on the rowing
    8km cycling
    50 sit ups
    gentle cool down

i do this all at a fairly fast pace but don't feel like im getting anywhere and would really love to lose a stone and a half in weight.
    Has anyone any advice on my routine or how a new routine may work. Would resistance machines help? any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Doing resistance training will shape the muscle. If you want to shape your thighs and bum for example its helpful to do squats and lunges.

You should be eating healthly food too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    Doing resistance training will shape the muscle. If you want to shape your thighs and bum for example its helpful to do squats and lunges.

You should be eating healthly food too.
    oh ok i'll do some lunges - easy stuff i can do at home.
    & yeah my diet is pretty good I think, fruit and veg intake varies from 5 - 8 every day thanks to the wonders of a healthy eating family!
    and i eat white meat, plenty of fish. Granary Bread etc..maybe should drink more water though..

I mean I don't have issues too much with my body im about 9stone8 and am 5ft7. Wear size 8/10 tops and 10 bottoms. Just I miss the "toned" shape of my stomach etc from a year ago..

ReputationRep:
    Probably be helpful to vary some of the ab exercises if you want to tone your stomach.

Crunches, leg raises, broomstick twists

ReputationRep:
    my workout today seems lame compared to that...i did 5km treadmill at about 12-13 and 20min cycle :s

ReputationRep:
    Again weight loss is simple More calories out than calories in equals a calorie deficit. You can do all the ab exercises you like, but if there is still fat in the way you wont see it.

So look at how much you eat and reduce it (keep it healthy though!). I dont know how much you go to the gym but maybe look at doing some weights, try light dumbells instead of machines.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I go 3 - 4 times a week
    and i don't think i have much fat, here is a picture from this time last week after a 2 week holiday:

I think I'll look at doing some resistance machines for abs and legs etc
    maybe reduce food a bit, i go through some sessions of eating too much bread!
    But thanks, I guess I'll keep looking on this forum for new ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexx)
    and i don't think i have much fat, here is a picture from this time last week after a 2 week holiday:

My gym has an aerobics session with a trainer for an hour and its great...i've gone down a size, but almost nothing in weight (in 2 weeks) Maybe you could look into that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    My gym has an aerobics session with a trainer for an hour and its great...i've gone down a size, but almost nothing in weight (in 2 weeks) Maybe you could look into that!
    oo thats a good idea, my gym has things like that too, ive never considered it, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexx)
    oo thats a good idea, my gym has things like that too, ive never considered it, thanks!
    Ur welcome hun! You really break a sweat and dont get bored as you would on a machine! And they play good music too :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexx)

Lol. Been working hard recently so just seen that. I was not trying to say that you are fat at all. By looking at what you do in the gym you must be quite fit. Just giving advice as one of my pet hates is that people think they can get a toned stomach 6 pack etc just by doing loads of ab exercises and not lose any fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mgodwin88)
    Lol. Been working hard recently so just seen that. I was not trying to say that you are fat at all. By looking at what you do in the gym you must be quite fit. Just giving advice as one of my pet hates is that people think they can get a toned stomach 6 pack etc just by doing loads of ab exercises and not lose any fat.
    I didn't think you were saying I was fat silly even if you were I wouldn't be bothered m'love.
    & yes i agree hence why ive been doing minimal ab exercises and concentrating on cardio to lose the fat first before i consider the "toning" side of things

ReputationRep:
    Looks like you've been sucessful with your exercise definately shows :p:

ReputationRep:
    For your body to change (lose bodyfat, gain muscle etc) it needs to be subjected to regular change, using the same workout for a long period of time isnt going to do you any favours as your body will just get used to doing it, so switch it up every 4 weeks. A good way to do this is to throw in at least 1 HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) session every week. A great way to do this is grab a skipping rope, skip (at a high intensity) for 1 minute, rest for 30 seconds. Do this until youve done about 15 minutes. Go and do some resistance training, then do another 15 minutes of HIIT on another exercise (burpees are great for toning up your arms legs and bum and will burn alot of fat). Use the same HIIT session for 4 weeks then change you excercises (sprints, squat jumps, punch bag, rowing etc). Also when you're doing your normal sessions try and switch it up now and again (do excercises in a different order, use different inclines during treadmill runs etc).

As far as you're abs go, cardio is the key. Everyones got a six pack, its just that quite a lot of us have it hidden under several inches of bodyfat. The abs are there, they just need to be exposed, so burning the bodyfat is the only way your gona do that.

With regards to diet, try to eat about 5 small meals a day. Dont eat any starchy carbs (pasta rice etc) after lunch time (stick to veg if you can), and get some good quality protein with every meal. Try and limit your boozing (I know its hard lol) and drink at least 3 litres of water a day (you'll feel better aswell as look better)

You should see improvements but dont expect instant results.

Good luck and happy training!

ReputationRep:
    P.S. see lady venoms articles on HIIT, some good info there.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2&postcount=11

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.