Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Many moons ago, I went to uni studied a course for a year dropped out due to the course not getting validated so started another course, which I also dropped out of due to personal problems.
    Now i'm older and wiser its time to get out of the rut of deadend jobs and so i'd like to return to uni, but does anyone know if i'd qualify for a student loan this time around? As i've not completed either of the previous degree courses?

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason why not...

ReputationRep:
    You should, but I don't know how much you will receive. You will need to submit an application to Student Finance England in the usual way. Once it has been processed and any documentary evidance received, you will receive a financial notification form. This will provide details of your entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    You don't mention whether you received a loan for your previous course (though the way I read your post, it sounds like you probably didn't). If you didn't, I don't think you'll have a problem. If you have had a loan previously, be aware that the maximum period for which you can get a loan is generally the length of your course, plus one year, less any previous years you've had a loan for, so this could limit your entitlement.

Here's the website for Student Finance England, which should have most of the information you need for an application (including paper forms, if you'd prefer not to apply online).

ReputationRep:
    I revieved a student loan for the years 1999-2000 and 2000-2001, I'll apply and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    You're eligible for 4 years of student finance, even though you haven't completed the years you started it still counts as 1 year each so you'll be eligible for another 2 years of finance =]

(Original post by Mimbobanage)
    You're eligible for 4 years of student finance, even though you haven't completed the years you started it still counts as 1 year each so you'll be eligible for another 2 years of finance =]
    They count those years backwards from the end of the course too, so on a three year course you'd get funding in years 2 and 3 only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimbobanage)
    You're actually eligible for: Length of your new course + 1 year - any previous years HE study

So 4 years total assumes the new course lasts 3 years (which it probably does!).

This rule applies to the tuition fee loan, you can actually get the maintenance loan for the whole degree.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.