Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When painting bare nails.. does a base coat and top coat make a significant difference? People say it preserves the polish for longer, Can you just use clear nail polish for this?

thanksssss

ReputationRep:
    It makes it last longer (top) and base prevents the colour from staining your nails

ReputationRep:
    yeah they deffo work..try to always use them..only problem is that the nail varnish takes AGES to take off...!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely works. I just use Barry M's version; it works as a top coat, base coat & nail hardener!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it does make a difference. I use OPI's Top coat and Base coat in one. I usually do 2 base coats and 2 top coats.
    A top coat will make your nail polish shine.

ReputationRep:
    I find it makes a massive difference, not just using them compared to not using them, but I've also found there's a big difference between brands. The best ones I've found so far (after reading lots of reviews & trying different things) are Seche Vite top coat, and Orly Bonder as a base coat. With those I can go a full week without a single chip, even though my poor nails get put through all sort of hell. Using a good polish also helps (I find some wear longer than others - my current longlasting champion is OPI Royal Flush Blush).

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks alot for all your expertise ladies!! ive been using clear varnish but that probably wont be as good, i will experiment!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.