Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When painting bare nails.. does a base coat and top coat make a significant difference? People say it preserves the polish for longer, Can you just use clear nail polish for this?

thanksssss

ReputationRep:
    It makes it last longer (top) and base prevents the colour from staining your nails

ReputationRep:
    yeah they deffo work..try to always use them..only problem is that the nail varnish takes AGES to take off...!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely works. I just use Barry M's version; it works as a top coat, base coat & nail hardener!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it does make a difference. I use OPI's Top coat and Base coat in one. I usually do 2 base coats and 2 top coats.
    A top coat will make your nail polish shine.

ReputationRep:
    I find it makes a massive difference, not just using them compared to not using them, but I've also found there's a big difference between brands. The best ones I've found so far (after reading lots of reviews & trying different things) are Seche Vite top coat, and Orly Bonder as a base coat. With those I can go a full week without a single chip, even though my poor nails get put through all sort of hell. Using a good polish also helps (I find some wear longer than others - my current longlasting champion is OPI Royal Flush Blush).

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks alot for all your expertise ladies!! ive been using clear varnish but that probably wont be as good, i will experiment!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.