Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no instructions of my specific microwave but its 1000w and doubles up as an oven even though we have an oven :confused:

Basically I failed again today as I woke up thinking, meh I'll just have tuna for tea but I want to have a proper meal now and all the meat is frozen.

I've got in there Chicken breasts, Bacon, Burgers, Turkey breasts and Steak so wondered which is the safest to defrost, how long does it usually take, and do you guys usually do it? Sounds way too iffy with me especially with chances of samonella and what not.

Can't really afford to go out and buy fresh meat from a store and after another good day of gym etc. don't want to go the chippy! So any re-assurance or guides would be good.

I'll google it now too, but just wanted to see if you guys do it

ReputationRep:
    Your microwave should have a defrost setting. Use that? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    By the way, just realised I've posted this in the fitness setting lol. I only ever really go here so thats whats bookmarked at the top

ReputationRep:
    I use the defrost setting on mine all the time, never had food poisoning once.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it should be safe as long as you have the microwave on defrost, if you have it on normal full power it'll just cook the outside of the meat. I defrosted meat all the time, mainly because I forget about it, but haven't had any problems. Theres no specific time either, I just tend to do it for 2 or 3 minutes then check it, and keep checking until its soft enough to cut through.

ReputationRep:
    I defrost meat all the time in a microwave; I don't pay attention to the time it suggests though, I just check it every few minutes until it's properly defrosted.

ReputationRep:
    I think that as long as you plan on cooking it straight away, it will be fine. Just try not to cook it in the microwave! :p:

ReputationRep:
    No no no and no

ReputationRep:
    Just wacked a turkey breast in, set the weight and pressed ok. seemed ok although was quite warm, anyway i wacked it in a sauce and cooked it and so far so good. I'll tell you if im puking tomorrow (Y)

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.