Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if your boyfriend asks you to help his sister (12 years younger) on schoolwork? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I can't help feeling a bit unhappy / upset when I talk with my boyfriend. He wants me to go to his home to tutor his sister's writing. He hopes me to help her appreciate reading by introducing some good stories to her and check her comprehension. He expects me to go to his home once time a week in August (totally four times) to go to his home. It takes 40 minutes for going his home. Of course, I won't get money by doing that. (How can you request money...)

I have resigned my education job and I am going to study a degree so I have the time now. However, I don't want to do it and I rejected my boyfriend. I have ever met his sister. His sister is 12 years younger than me, with moderate IQ (heartbreaking to say). In a word, his sister has a large generation gap and not interesting to me at all.

I feel I am selfish and guilty for not making time to help his sister. Will you take this responsibility if you are asked to do so?

I like my boyfriend because he is smart and caring but in a sharp contrast his sister is not smart at all and a lifelong burden...

Forgive me to be this honest...
    I would like your comments but please say kindly to a person who is in pain now...

ReputationRep:
    It's not your responsibility so you are under no obligation. However maybe you could suggest to him that you could formally tutor her for money if she really needs it and you would be willing to do the job. Don't feel guilty though, hopefully your boyfriend will understand!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand why he can't do it? And if he's asking you to do it, then you should assume that it is as a job, therefore he/parents should pay you.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try it, at least once? You might find it quite fulfilling.

He is your boyfriend, after all, just asking you a favour.

ReputationRep:
    I would do it, how is going 40 minutes that hard? Surely you would see him 4 times in August or try to anyway, so just mix seeing him with teaching his sister for an hour or so? I know you don't want to, but it doesn't sound that bad and also you might learn something about her and yourself doing it and it would make him happy. Don't ask for money, I think that's a bit...weird.

ReputationRep:
    well the least he could do is drop you back home aftewards and maybe take you out to a nice fancy place whenever your free?

ReputationRep:
    Do it you mug

ReputationRep:
    Obviously if you don't want to do it (which you don't) then that's your prerogative but it does say a lot about you.

ReputationRep:
    I would do it. I think you are being a bit selfish. I can understand maybe asking for a lift or help with transport but it seems to me that you're of the oppinion of "well it doesn't benefit me so why bother".

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. Self interest serves the common good.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like an absolute nightmare frankly. All he is asking you to do is a small favour. Is it really that hard to help someone? I mean seriously, surely its not just all about money to you? And big deal if you don't have anything in common with his sister, or she isn't like you. Your not there to be her friend, you are there to show support and to assist, not become 'bbf.' And is 40 minutes out of your week really going to kill you?

I think you should really take a long hard look at yourself

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy to do it. :confused: I wouldn't however expect to have to make my own way there.

I wouldn't think that I have to find a little girl interesting to be able to give her a few tips with her writing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xug)
    Dear all,

I can't help feeling a bit unhappy / upset when I talk with my boyfriend. He wants me to go to his home to tutor his sister's writing. He hopes me to help her appreciate reading by introducing some good stories to her and check her comprehension. He expects me to go to his home once time a week in August (totally four times) to go to his home. It takes 40 minutes for going his home. Of course, I won't get money by doing that. (How can you request money...)

I have resigned my education job and I am going to study a degree so I have the time now. However, I don't want to do it and I rejected my boyfriend. I have ever met his sister. His sister is 12 years younger than me, with moderate IQ (heartbreaking to say). In a word, his sister has a large generation gap and not interesting to me at all.

I feel I am selfish and guilty for not making time to help his sister. Will you take this responsibility if you are asked to do so?

I like my boyfriend because he is smart and caring but in a sharp contrast his sister is not smart at all and a lifelong burden...

Forgive me to be this honest...
    I would like your comments but please say kindly to a person who is in pain now...
    I would definitely have done it, but then I like helping people. I help people with their school work and job applications online for free.

ReputationRep:
    surely if you had a job in education you would have been enjoying dealing with students u have little in common with, so u would normally enjoy helping her in this way.

no one can expect u to pay to travel there ect but surely it could be done around seeing your bf if he lives there anyway...

ReputationRep:
    what a dilemma you're in ..you were clearly born with a talent for decision making! (i was born with a talent for sarcasm, maybe you noticed)

but anyway you woulnt be much use to her. Reading your 1st post you strike me as not being fluent in english? or maybe its just typos

ReputationRep:
    I agree that you sound very selfish. So what if you have to spend some time with your boyfriend's sister. If you're at all serious about your boyfriend then you should get to know her. I spend loads of time with my boyfriend's sister, going shopping with her, taking her to work etc. Even if you don't enjoy it then I'm sure your boyfriend will appreciate it and be grateful for it. Think of someone else but yourself for a while. You won't get far with an attitude like that in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you not help?! I do private tuition and I used to help out my brothers boyfriend!

I teach a little 6 year old girl and out of all the people I teach, most who are around my age, she's the most interesting one of all!

It sounds like you're being totally selfish, she's a little girl.. while it might not mean much to you, a bit of help with her education could change her life.

ReputationRep:
    You sound a bit selfish if you ask me , I don't really understand why you don't want to do it. If you're going into education surely tutoring would be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

But, hey, if you don't want to do it don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, not only that but she suggests that the little sister is somewhat a bit lacking when it comes to intelligence when her own post is barely legible (seriously it cant be just me who had trouble understanding that?), i think thats a case of pot calling the kettle black!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.